Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:26:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
49 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: frame size  (Read 2266 times)

matthew

frame size
« on: January 19, 2005, 05:41:21 pm »
When buying a proflex what frame size should I look for?  I'm 5'11".  I found one and they said the sizes was "way big" so I pretty much figured that would be to big for me.  And suggestins of size?

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: frame size
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:07:33 am »
you'd use a medium to large depending on how long your legs are and how much you like to stretch out.  larges are usually just mediums with an extra inch or so from the seat post to the bars.  way bigs are much taller - go to the links and click on dave tweedes unofficial k2 info link - that'll give you a lot of the specs you should be looking for

the way big would be way big
(i'd say 6' 2" and up for way bigs)

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

debaucherous

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:22:24 am »

I may be in the minority, but I really like a large cockpit and don't worry too much about standover height.  As an aging fat guy I have become more XC and epic ride oriented and comfort is becoming much more important to me.

I am 5' 10" and find the large cramped - I have a Bumpy Monkey.  My suggestion would be to ride the bike it if at all possible.  That said, I would always choose a larger frame.

My $0.02

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 10:38:59 am »
I've got a large and a medium (I'm 5'11" too) and find that both work pretty darn well. The Large is more stable in fast, rough terrain, but the medium isn't much different and can be more controllable in slow technical situations. I'd say the large is more the "correct" size for me though. My 5'4" wife fits the medium just fine.

On the other hand, my bro in law has a Way Big, and you couldn't pay me to ride it in technical situations. On the road it's fine (the reach makes it feel more like a road bike) and in completely non technical trail riding (spell that "dirt roads") it feels very smooth and stable and gives me a nice view (but sometimes I get nosebleeds from the extra altitude!) Bottom line, if you EVER worry about having to dismount, don't get the Way Big. If you manage to not get a top tube in the crotch, you still have a long way to fall before you hit the ground!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 07:40:18 pm »
for the most part the way big is Not that much longer.The tt is slightly longer and they come with a LOOONG stem,my way big 756 came with a 150 stem instead of the larges 135.....mind you i am 6 3 my 2c
kiwi proflex rider