Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 05:25:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 28
Total: 28
28 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: How many ride with stem "up-side-down"  (Read 3054 times)

jinder

• Master
How many ride with stem "up-side-down"
« on: January 15, 2005, 04:40:57 pm »
Hey guys...  how many if you ride your bike with the stem "up-side-down" to lower your handlebars?

Just a might ask?
Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: How many ride with stem "up-side-down&quo
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:51:20 pm »
not me at 6 3 i would be bent double on my way big......
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 12:53:02 am »
I've done it on a road bike - to RAISE the handlebars (the intended reach was too low). On most stems, it doesn't make a difference - i.e. you can do it without worrying about the stem's strength.

However, I can't imagine wanting my handlebars LOWER than my current setup (which has over 1" of spacers and a riser handlebar). I'm just not into racing, and I prefer not crashing to getting aerodynamic. When I had my bars nearly 3" lower with a previous incarnation of my bike (different fork, no spacers) I endoed several times when it shouldn't have happened.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

jinder

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:13:39 am »
I always riden with my stem "down".  I am 6-2inchs tall and always loved the feeling of a super low bar.  But my brother keeps giving me slack about how I should rase my bars back up...its just personal prefernce right?

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:22:16 am by jinder »
Beast

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: How many ride with stem "up-side-down
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 04:20:43 am »
Jinder,

The whole setup is just awesome looking. I like the look of the upside down stem. I see the spacer stack under the stem. The black on alum is nice. Honestly, your 957 is the nicest I have ever seen. You lucky dog.

My son rides his cannondale with the stem upside down and with a straight bar because he likes the ride height.

What size front tire is that? Do you have a current weight?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jinder

• Master
Re: How many ride with stem &quot;up-side-down
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 06:04:06 am »
Terry

Thanks so MUCH!  Very nice of you...
The size of the front tire is 2.2inchs wide and the weight is quite light, I will get a scale and it for you the right numbers (my scale just won't tell me close enough).

I am going to get a WTB VelociRaptor front to match the rear...

This is a close look at the tire itself
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Tire/product_88760.shtml

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:32:11 am by jinder »
Beast

jimbo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 06:41:57 am »
It's a matter of what works for you.  I know Tinker Juaruez (sp)  likes an upside down stem.  

We got this guy in our ride group that make his wife ride with an upside down stem.  According to him (engineer) that puts his wife in the perfect riding position.  His wife endoed on this big ass root that everyone including other women cleared.  I made a comment that perhaps he needed to raise the handlebar so that it's easier to lift the bike over stuff.  His answer was that the wife should have changed the fork setting to 4 inches rather than the 3 inches it was set on.  Whatever.  Maybe he's got a big life insurance policy on her.  
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 09:14:46 am by jimbo »

jinder

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 06:55:05 am »
"Maybe he's got a big life insurance policy on her."

LOL!      [smiley=laughing.gif]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:55:33 am by jinder »
Beast

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: How many ride with stem &amp;amp;amp;amp;q
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 02:40:59 pm »
WTB Velociraptors

Jinder I take absolutely no responsibility what might happen if you ever mention those tyres again on this forum[smiley=disbelief.gif]

Having said that velociraptors were oem on my 756 and i loved em......ooohhh I've done it again(Shudders, looks over shoulder)

old joke.....wonder if he will reply
kiwi proflex rider

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:54:35 am »

i really like my upright riding position, but that bike does look sweet and if it works for you that's cool. The guy with the endo'ing wife obviously didn't want his wife to ride with him [at least not on an mtb].

I am pretty sure that IFO did not have shares in WTB, he really used to rip on those tyres. I just put a 2.5 Trailbear on the front of my Evo and so far, I love it. I am thinking of getting a 2.35 for the rear[the 2.5 won't fit!], paid $20 at pricepoint which I think is a bargain. I sort of stopping worrying about the wt, the bike is now 35lbs+.

jimbo

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 06:32:42 am »

i really like my upright riding position, but that bike does look sweet and if it works for you that's cool. The guy with the endo'ing wife obviously didn't want his wife to ride with him [at least not on an mtb].

I am pretty sure that IFO did not have shares in WTB, he really used to rip on those tyres. I just put a 2.5 Trailbear on the front of my Evo and so far, I love it. I am thinking of getting a 2.35 for the rear[the 2.5 won't fit!], paid $20 at pricepoint which I think is a bargain. I sort of stopping worrying about the wt, the bike is now 35lbs+.

Actually the wife is the only person who wants to ride with him.  The rest of us avoid him like the plague.  He's such an obnioxous (sp) person that I don't want be around when someone takes a swing at him.  

How about some $5 dollars tires.  IFO doesn't care for these tires also, but I heard the sticky version is way better.

Checkout the factory blowout:

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/downhill.cfm

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 02:26:00 am »
What's interesting about Jinder's bike set up is that is saddle is way fwd on it's rails as well.

Given that he is tall (6' 2" or so?) the low stem is putting his CofG further forward on the bike and more over the forks.

Different strokes for different folks - it takes guts to push weight through the bar but does help the bike carve round hi speed gravel turns with good traction. Should also be good for steep technical climbs to keep the front wheel down.

The downside, as I see it, would be on fast free-ride / DH style descents where ther would be an excellent opportunity for endos.

I find that however I set my bike up (with the exception of saddle height) - after a few rides it feels OK - the human body is marvelously adaptive.

Sprucey

Sprucey

jinder

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 03:47:43 am »
So true.... there are compromises to the sytle - but it feels so natural to me.  Its very interesting just looking at set-ups....like race cars...each driver has his or her own tastes on comfort and control.
Beast