Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 04:36:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 26
Total: 26
26 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Front disc plate for a Carbon Girvin fork  (Read 5557 times)

jinder

• Master
Front disc plate for a Carbon Girvin fork
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:21:34 am »
Ok guys..this might be a dumb question so please don't get mad at me  :)

If I want to install front disc brakes on my 957 what sort of mount do I have to use on the carbon forks?  I know about the rear now...but the front seems a bit hard...

thanks guys!!!!
Beast

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Front disc plate for a Carbon Girvin fork
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 08:28:08 am »
Checkout Op (old proflexer)and Junksters galleries.
Simon.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 08:39:16 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

jinder

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 09:06:28 am »
Checkout Op (old proflexer)and Junksters galleries.
Simon.

Right on!   Great ideas...  thanks man!!!!
Beast

jinder

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:01:56 pm »
Is this glued on to the forks?  That looks AWESOME!  I would love to have one done for my bike.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:03:29 pm by jinder »
Beast

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 01:38:25 pm »
gee i love that picture - can't imagine why

imitation is the sincerist form of flattery - feel free to make your own -
there have been many discussions on how to build one.  
try a search and you'll find them.

also, there is a file in the 'how tos' section of this site on how i made my first one from scratch.  also, in the galleries, many here have made them (brave souls) and in my gallery you'll see some of the original disc adapters including a clampon and one of the original originals  - - - 'joes blue fox'

b.t.w. - that fork (with adapter) is just hanging on the wall in the garage these days

personally i prefer this pic - it has most of my creations on it (cept for the front fender for a crosslink)

http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/Old_Proflexer/Bike%20Side%20View.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:52:42 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

jinder

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:59:50 pm »
gee i love that picture - can't imagine why

imitation is the sincerist form of flattery - feel free to make your own -
there have been many discussions on how to build one.  
try a search and you'll find them.

also, there is a file in the 'how tos' section of this site on how i made my first one from scratch.  also, in the galleries, many here have made them (brave souls) and in my gallery you'll see some of the original disc adapters including a clampon and one of the original originals  - - - 'joes blue fox'

b.t.w. - that fork (with adapter) is just hanging on the wall in the garage these days

personally i prefer this pic - it has most of my creations on it (cept for the front fender for a crosslink)

http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/Old_Proflexer/Bike%20Side%20View.jpg

Your work is breathtaking.  EXCELLENT stuff, I am greatly impressed my friend.  Thank you for the tips - your a good man!
Beast

Callum

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 06:26:32 pm »
remember that the 957 carbon forks are a bit different to the crosslinks.  Hope (who make disk brakes) tried making an adapter for this fork some years ago.  It may be worth an email.  I gave up because of concerns about breaking the fork legs.

callum
rds

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 01:01:04 am »
Hi Jinder,
             also check out Will's gallery:

http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/Will/100_0351.JPG

JB Weld epoxy seems to be one of the best bonding agents for alloy while carbon specific epoxy resin for use on Carbon forks.

cheers,

Dan  [smiley=beer.gif]

jinder

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 02:02:16 am »
Hi Jinder,
             also check out Will's gallery:

http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/Will/100_0351.JPG

JB Weld epoxy seems to be one of the best bonding agents for alloy while carbon specific epoxy resin for use on Carbon forks.

cheers,

Dan  [smiley=beer.gif]

Sweet!!!  Thanks man!!!  
Beast

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:23:41 am »
Jinder,

I have a spare home-made disc adapter that I can sell to you. Here's a pic, there's another in the galleries.
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=toNYC/DSC00979.JPG
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 12:09:16 pm by toNYC »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:38:11 am »
toNYC,

Very nice! That is a great design. I like the extra material and drilling you put on the contact plate. The load force is distributed farther up the leg and you gave it greater adhesiion.

I have been avoiding the  "dreaded deesks" for a long time, but now I have no excuse . I think I would like to try the extension design to a bolt/JBweld  application to my carbon swingarm. Formed sheet welded to a plug plate. Seeing what you did pushed me over the edge.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 02:12:32 pm »

Inspired by OPs adapter, It took me about a couple of saturdays to fabricate using an old seatpost, a 1/4" alu plate (6061, I think), a dremel, a drill press and a lot of sanding. 'had a local shop weld it together. I made a spare just in case but it's holding up strong so far. Here's a good source for materials - www.macmaster-carr.com. Good luck on your project

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 07:58:14 pm »
Hi,
I salute all of you who have made front disk adaptors!

The thing that baffles me is that I assume that the disk mount has to be in alignment with the disk. i.e. so that the disk pads are in (perfect?) alignment with the Disk.
How do you ensure when you Glue/weld/whatever the adaptor to the fork leg that it ends up in alignment?

Or is this not too critical a requirement?

How do you adjust the lateral offset from the mount to where the disk actually is? I.e. to position the disk pads "over" the disk?

I will have a set of Ally Elites coming spare to experiment with and so might be considering having a go at this in the future (if I have time.......)

My Magura HS33's work fine in all conditions but the mud does clog around them pretty dreadfully!

Col
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 10:39:17 pm »
Hi Colin,
          the way I made mine was to fix the initial plate to the leg in the most aligned position I could, with a lot of excess alloy on it, which would be trimed as necessary.

I then fit the caliper on the disc rotor using a zip tie or elastic band on the lever. With the wheel in place, I rotate the caliper towards the mount and cut down the metal, and add to it in my case, (postmount 8" rotor required two extra mounting plates).

For me it was painstaking trial and error and from experience it is much easier to mount an IS standard caliper, especially if a 6" rotor. As long as you leave enough of a gap between the mount and caliper you can always use spacers (in the case of an IS caliper). With a postmount caliper there is a certain amount of in and out adjustablilty in the movement of the bolt holes.

I am sure there are more acurate ways that other users have adopted, but my last few attempts have always been aligned correctly using this method. [smiley=groucho.gif]

cheers,
Dan [smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 10:40:59 pm by junkster »

ToNYC

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 03:57:55 am »
Y'all,

Almost the same way as Junkster did his. First, I bolted the brake caliper to the adapter. Lined up the brakepads w/ the disc-rotor then held the brakes down tight by wrapping the lever to the handle bar w/ a rubber band. Then I slowly rotate the wheels so I can line up the adapter to the leg. Making adjustments for max contact, then temporarily taped the adapter to the leg. I used a marker to trace the outline of the adapter on the leg. Using this outline as a guide to bond the unit w/ epoxy. Pressure was applied by tightly taping the wheel to the leg. At this point, the bike looks like an injured horse w/ casted fore-legs. I let it cure for as long as I can patiently manage ('bout 2 days). BTW, the 'CPS' mounting system of avid mechs was a lot of help. I have to give OP props for the idea. I have a spare if anyone is interested.

-T
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:06:08 am by toNYC »