Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 04:17:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 23
Total: 23
23 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New Year's Dreaming...  (Read 2443 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
New Year's Dreaming...
« on: December 31, 2004, 02:32:17 am »
First off,  I would like to wish everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!  [smiley=beer.gif]

now, I posted this on another topic, but how about this for a dream bike for the new year:

Oz frame (carbon handlebars, carbon seatpost, carbon cranks, disc brakes,Simon's floating brake system, ext. sealed bearings on the swing arm, all the usual goodies)

shifting via Rohloff hub system (no derailleurs)

Maverick fork/spv rear shock (Fox Talas with propedal would be great)

now, for the really dreamy stuff:

Xentis carbon wheels, which would mean the following:

the rear wheel would have to accomodate a Rohloff hub. they presently use Hugi hubs.

the front wheel would have to accomodate a Maverick hub.

now, THAT, my friends, would make for an AMAZINGLY cool ride. don't know about the weight, but it certainly would look mighty cool.

Have a great one, everybody!

what dreams do you have? [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=groucho.gif]

« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 05:41:18 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: New Year's Dreaming...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 02:49:06 am »
As long as we're dreaming...

I like my current bike a lot. I would only change a few small things...

Lefty Max fork. NOTHING else offers better ride quality - you can hammer a Lefty for 5 years and due to its design, a rebuild will literally make it as good as knew. Too bad they cost so much and only fit on oversized headtubes. (Without some serious machine work, which I don't have access to!)

New disc brakes (only to save weight though).

A swingarm that's not so close to my chain. All that chain slap makes my bike sound "rickety." Minor complaint.

A Rohloff hub would be cool, but I can't help but think that I would notice the increase in "unsprung" weight.

A Wipperman Ti chain (the one that costs $349). Not for any particular reason other than it would be cool to have a part that's so ridiculously expensive (especially for a "disposable" part) that nobody else I know would ever have one!

And what the heck, while we're at it, I'd love a full carbon road bike, a titanium touring bike, and one month out of every year to devote exclusively to long distance touring!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 03:56:14 am »
 Those sound like good builds. But now, let me bust a move.

I take your 5500 (oz), the Carbon handlebar, seatpost, and Maverick fork. But the xc inverted virsion with disc only tabs. And I raise your Xentis wheels for Grimeca Mg 6 spoke wheels with 24mm hub conversion for the fork. Also  some 2 piece cranks with outside bb cups. and Hope mono mini brake system. and I am going to keep the standard 9 speed dereilleur to prevent complicated manufacturing involved with the drive hub and carbon wheel.

And thats that.
take it. huh.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 10:04:45 am »
you can take your flash bikes...i would LOVE to take my ol 756 as it is(praps with a new BB) and ride with yer all....somewhere...somehow,but if we are talking bikes....wot dennis said but on a polished 956 frame........aaahhhhh
kiwi proflex rider

Ionit

• Journeyman
  • Ionit
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 12:30:33 am »
pffffff.....

Ya I guess carbon everything tops any other build.

Happy new year.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 03:33:35 am »
In my dream
I'd like to see K2 stop making there current bikes,just clones of other bikes on the market,take a step back look at the Oz,Evo,and the classic 856,then produce a new range of bikes based on some of the principales from these great bikes BUT using all upto date materials and components [smiley=nod.gif],
I'd love to see a single pivot short travel bike with a short chainstay using the latest materials that climbs like a whippet (856)making it an ultralight weight race bike.
Or a light medium travel single pivot bike with the latest  propedal shock,intergrated headset (if you like that sort of thing),sealed precision bearings where required,disc's obviously as standard,stiff swinging arm,
Or a light medium travel single pivot bike made from the very latest carbon materials (yum) [smiley=laughing.gif].
Basically updated version's of what we've already got, it appears to me (not that I've tried one but from what I've read here) Propedal shocks have given single pivot bikes a new lease of life,
infact the 2 best world D/Hillers have for the past couple of years elected to go with single pivot bikes and they have the pick of the crop,was not VPP first seen fitted to a D/H bike are things going full circle.
But in all honesty I'm pretty happy with my lot,
Happy new year [smiley=beer.gif],though sadly with resent events its not got off to good year for many :(
Simon.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 08:38:45 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,