Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 07:25:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
35 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: q on air shocks  (Read 2521 times)

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
q on air shocks
« on: October 02, 2004, 07:55:53 am »
I just wanted to run something by you guys. I have a Risse Astro 5 on the back of my Oz and a Fox TALAS fork up front.
The last time I added air to either shock was back in April or early May, when I was setting the bike up for the season. I have checked the settings a couple of times since, and neither shock has needed air.
I think its great that the shocks are virtually maintenance free so far, but I hear about people adding air every few weeks. Is my experience normal, or have I been abnormally lucky?
I'd like to hear other people's experiences with these or similar shocks.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 07:57:12 am by Dennis »
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: q on air shocks
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 09:55:59 am »
Well, I have never used an air shock, but I would imagine on your riding style and wieght. If you do alot of jumping where the shock compresses a lot (mainly quick compression from drops) then it would prob. leak more air. But, if you just use it for x-country then it probably doesn't loose much air. I would say check your air pressure every once and a while, but if it is fine then just ride harder!  ;D

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 11:40:33 am »
ditto - 'cept i have a couple of them - check the air once in a while and usually never need to touch them.

i do need to ride harder -

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:29:09 pm »
I've generally don't have a problem with air leaking from my Fox Float fok and shock, from my Risse Genesis or my marzochhi fork.

I do know of people with the same Fox shock who have to top theirs up every few weeks.

The only time I have needed to top my fox fork and shock up was toward the end of an 8hr race. The course that day was extremely dry and dusty and very bumpy, so maybe conditions play a part in it as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:30:13 pm by sammydog »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 10:00:49 pm »
I'm also running an Astro5 plus a mega air VTO fork,I like to concider myself pretty hard on my bike but like you I haven't experiance air loss from either my shock or fork that also goes for my son who is also running a mega air fork,I had to have the astro5 rebuilt resently but it never lost air,I do though keep a regular check on the pressure's just incase.
Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 10:56:40 am »
mountain bike maintenance, never ends, but always rewarding..........................

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:18:02 pm »
I have a bunch of air forks; 3 Marzocchi's, a Manitou Xvert and a Noleen Mega air.  Months and months go by between fill ups on the Marzocchi's and the Xvert.  The Mega air is a little more leaky, needing air every few days, until I disassemble and clean it.  Then it'll go for a week or 2 between fill ups.

Also have a Fox Float rear shock and a Stratos with air assist.  Both seldom need air, every few months maybe.

I usually don't even carry my shock pump with me on the trail.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 01:13:21 pm »
I'm also running an Astro5 plus a mega air VTO fork,I like to concider myself pretty hard on my bike but like you I haven't experiance air loss from either my shock or fork that also goes for my son who is also running a mega air fork,I had to have the astro5 rebuilt resently but it never lost air,I do though keep a regular check on the pressure's just incase.
Simon

;D ;D
[smiley=beer.gif]

Dennis, they're made to hold air, if you beat them up then you might have to add a wee bit. Everything up to suff, of course
[smiley=beer.gif]

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 01:15:38 pm by carbon_angus »

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 07:48:16 am »
ok, thanks for the info guys. I thought that the shocks should hold air for a long time, but I've heard people say how they need to add air every week or two (not Fox or Risse shocks) and was wondering about others' experiences with air shocks.

thanks again.
[smiley=groucho.gif]

ps. I do ride hard, at least for a 49 y.o. (b-day two weeks ago), can't wait till I'm 50, I should be riding even harder by then.
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis