Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 11, 2024, 11:10:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19
19 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: smart shock adjustibility  (Read 2087 times)

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
smart shock adjustibility
« on: October 02, 2004, 04:46:58 am »
Thanks for your help earlier Kiwi and Matno - just finished biulding up my 5000. I have the 650lbs/in coil spring on the rear smart shock now, and just applying pressure by hand, I am surprised just how much compression the spring goes through. This is without the battery in the shock. I am a little worried since 650 spring is noted in the 99 spring chart as more than sufficient for my rider weight, (230lbs) but I fear I need a stiffer spring. Whats more can I get a stiffer spring that will still allow the smart shock to function properly. Will all be ok when I can get hold of a battery and fully activate the smartshock? If the brain regulates the rate of compression the smart shock will still compress the same distance but slower - which if I am thicking correctly still means there will be too much compression uphill?   [smiley=worry.gif]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 06:19:55 am by junkster »

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
Re: smart shock adjustibility
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 04:55:16 am »
ohh yeah, plus - what does the little adjuster, (I am guessing it adjusts something) do at the bottom of the smart shock, right by the lower eyelet mount?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 06:14:30 am by junkster »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 09:35:57 am »
The spring shouldn't affect the damping. But you may need a stiffer spring. I used both a 500 and a 400 lb spring and both were pretty good for my 140 lb body. I think you should be able to get a stiffer spring without causing problems. However, the durability of the Smart Shocks is not great. In fact, it was probably the first bike part I EVER broke or wore out significantly - in about 3 or 4 months of regular riding. Not all of them have been so unlucky though.

The only concern I would have is that you might need a heavier weight oil in the shock, but I don't know if it's really changeable. There are places that will service Noleen shocks, including the Smart Shock, that could do it, but they might charge a bundle.

The twist adjuster at the bottom is the rebound damping. Didn't figure that one out myself until I'd had it for almost a year!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 10:09:39 pm »
As your in the UK you need to contact CVI they rebuild and service do all the Noleen and K2 shocks and forks including the smart shock,they can also advise and supply suitable springs,
CVI 01405 760030
    www.cvi.co.uk
    Simon.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 10:24:52 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,