Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 12, 2024, 01:24:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37
37 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: smart shock help  (Read 2232 times)

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
smart shock help
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:02:31 am »
Hi people,
               I have a smart shock with the NB1.75 350lbs/in spring. I wanna swap out the spring for a 600lbs/in but I am stumped as to how to dismantle the smartshock to do so.  I can't find any links to a service manual for smart shocks here, at k2bikes or on the net. Any ideas?  [smiley=coolfrown.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: smart shock help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 01:14:32 pm »
check the how to link..there are bike manuals there
kiwi proflex rider

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 03:12:21 pm »
The only hard part is compressing the shock enough that you can get the "lock ring" off (I can't remember what it's called, but it's the round piece at the end of the spring with one side open). Once it's compressed, you just push that piece down and slide it right off. The spring will then come right off the end of the shock. I just used a couple of heavy duty zip ties to lock a couple of sections of the spring down (while still on the bike - just sat on it backwards and cinched those puppies tight). It didn't take a ton of compression to get it off once the preload was backed out all the way. Can't remember how I did it for reinstalling the other spring (I believe vise grips were involved) but it was easier to get it back on than to take the original off.

Good luck!
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 08:50:21 pm »
Hi guys,
           firstly - Matno - you are a genius - I was looking along the lines of undoing the round bung thingy on the end of the shock. I used a couple of lockable pliers to compress the spring and it worked instantly - many thanks- you have saved me many hrs of tantrums.

Kiwi - cheers but the how to link was where I tried first of all. There are no comprehensive manuals about the smart shock - just the noleen NR shocks.

right - now to start stripping down the 855 to build the 5000.

Incidentally what is the longest shock length I2I a set of vector 1s can take, if I use the seperate upper link mount from a vector 2. (instead of the integrate Vector 1 stem)?

cheers,
Dan