Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2024, 02:19:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 37
Total: 37
37 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Marzocchi Atom 2002  (Read 2024 times)

Thunderchild

• Master
Marzocchi Atom 2002
« on: September 22, 2004, 03:23:50 pm »
This fork seems to be getting a little extra play front to back when I lock the brakes and rock my Oz.  It feels like a loose headset, but trust me it is not.  The headset is solid.  I can actually see movement at the stanchion and slider junction.  Maybe it is normal?  It doesn't do the same thing when I turn the handlebar 90 degrees and rockit, a good way to check for a loose headset with suspension forks.  My first guess, and fear is that the bearings are worn.  My other Marzocchi has a lot more miles on it than this one and the bearings are fine.  Also, this is one of the the Marzocchis where the brake boss bolts hold the arch together.  Yes they are nice and snug.  Anyone have any experience in this area.
Thanks
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: Marzocchi Atom 2002
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 01:10:30 am »
Sounds to me like the bushings are worn.

They are metal sleeves around the base of the stanchions inside the sliders to take up the play and are a consumable item. They are not expensive (we sell them for 21.95GBP for the 30mm bushings kit). They may well be cheaper in the US.

I would recommend new oil and dust seals and fresh 7.5wt oil at the same time - all things done as part of a normal service. It is a simple fix and well worth doing to keep the forks going strong.

Contact your local shop/Marzocchi dealer and buy them from them or get them to service the fork and replace the bushings at the same time - easy!

Sprucey

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 04:24:12 am »
Sounds like the bushes could be worn out but there should be a little bit of  play at the stanchion and slider this is usually to help overcome stiction.
One strange thing you could check,my 4500 has a worn lower rear shock bush (this is regular for me),when I stand astride my bike with the front brake on and rock the bike as if to check the headset bearings and fork bushes I can feel through the bars just as if something is worn or loose at the front (just like a worn fork etc),its not,its movement in the rear shock bush you can physically see it and feel it.Also whilst my shock was being overhauled I fitted my spare unused shock and all the play went apart from the very small movement I could see in my very resently fitted forks,Unlikely but just a thought.
Simon
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 04:34:05 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Thunderchild

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 04:29:56 am »
Thanks for the info.  Time to go borrow the tools from my LBS, tear the front down and check the rear shock.   [smiley=nod.gif] [smiley=turtle.gif]
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame