Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 05:16:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 35
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 24
Total: 24
24 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 856 Rebuild - A new twist  (Read 2904 times)

Will

856 Rebuild - A new twist
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:28:48 am »
After an 8 year hiatus from Proflex bikes, I'm very happily back in the saddle. (What was I thinking riding those other "great ideas"!?)

I finally got an e-bay deal on an 856 frame/fork and rebuilt it just in time for a "business" trip to Breckenridge. It was a great bomber & survived 2 days of hard downhilling. Yeeha.

I'm trying to build the bike into a bulletproof all mountain machine:

Full frame powder coat in arctic white.

The front fork is a Z1 flylight. (Until the Vector is rebuilt, resprung, and disk ready.)
The rear brake tab is a machined aluminum piece that works just peachy.
The drivetrain is a single speed front end with a chain roller built into the rear pivot. (Y'all will love this gizmo - pictures to follow...)

Here's where I need guidance:

Long term, the plan is to replace the chain with a belt drive system and a Rohloff 14 speed hub. But where could one find resources on this? Since it's all been done before (EPX had one in 2001?), I hate to re-invent the whole deal.

Simon, Old Proflexer; Any words of wisdom?

Thanks folks,

Will

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
Re: 856 Rebuild - A new twist
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:53:20 am »
Good luck with the belt drive.
please post some pictures as I am courious as to how that would work.
Have fun! :)
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:59:42 am »
Blimey, like your thinking,
belt drive is a new one on me as a mtb application,
if I was looking into such an idea I'd look into trying to match a long narrow cambelt (maybe from a large capacity V engine,or one thats belt also runs alot of ancilleries),these are designed to take extreme loads,you may have to have machined some suitable toothed sprockets for it to run on,maybe you could modify the cam and crank gears but the ratio would be 1:2,they would also be heavy, you would also require a tensioner,
curious to know whats wrong with a chain ??? simplest idea's are usually the best,
however trying something different should be applauded [smiley=nod.gif]
how about a driveshaft system instead (sure its been done, but still worth a look)
Simon.

856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 05:51:13 am »
Just a taster of what you can find.
http://www.castors-uk.co.uk/belts/
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Will

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 06:35:33 am »
Simon,
Thanks for the feedback & link.
There have been a few downhill and aussie XC (EPX) bikes built with belt drives.
I'm hoping someone out there has some info on these previous efforts. Anyone?
Thanks,
Will

Will

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 07:10:02 am »
Here's an outside-in look at what I'm trying to track down...
http://www.epxbikes.co.za/roadster.htm

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker

Luke

• Apprentice
  • I washed it recently...I think it was in 2005
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 11:00:22 am »
 [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]Cudos to the belt drive idea!  I can't recall how many derailleurs I have had unceremoniously removed at speed from my bike!  Go the internal hub and belt drive!!!!  I took a look at the links which featured flat belts with teeth.  These are similar to systems used on the machines I work with & can produce some annoying tracking problems.  ie- your belt jumps off just like a worn out chain.  There are some V-belts available which could do the job, these would be harder to make sprockets for but would eliminate the tracking problem.  But V belts might result in more friction & possibly slippage.  There are also toothed versions which have a trapezoidal cross section which are strong as & should solve the slippage & friction problems- but I'd hate to try & make sprockets for these.  Would probably be best to see what is available commercially.

I understand that there are also some flatbelts with tracking groves in the centre which could be a good compromise.  Most belt companies who are worth their salt will be able to make a flatbelt to length for not much more than you'd pay for a fancy pants shimano chain.  V belts are a lot more difficult though, especially if you want a toothed version.  The sprockets may be the pricey bit>:(
Good luck!
l
Warranty replacements due to cracks detected in time (since 1989):
4x 'Dale M2000
3x 'Dale EST
2x steel stumpjumpers
2x 855
2x 856
2x Scott G-Zero +3x swingarms.
85kgs & I only race XC!

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 02:38:49 pm »
Sheldon Brown - Single speed central - the best place to start, very creative and informative

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

You have Rohloff

http://www.rohloffusa.com/frame.htm

Maybe the guys at Groundzero if they're still around - used to be big single speeders and Rohloffers

http://www.groundzero.co.nz/

my favorite pic

best bet is Callum Wilson at the 856 heads site - i believe he built one a year or two ago out of an 856 or 7

gonna be in colorado archery elk hunting for a few weeks, you all take care

OP
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 02:45:43 pm by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 09:08:47 pm »
Actually OP i prefer this one

I reckon a toothed belt would be the go Buell and Harley's use em,if thats a recomendation :)

Happy hunting OP and you take care too!
kiwi proflex rider