Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 01:30:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 15
Total: 15
15 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Disco Monkey?????????  (Read 2474 times)

firsttimeflexer

• Novice
  • xc is my wife, Trials is my misstress
Disco Monkey?????????
« on: September 06, 2004, 11:03:34 am »
Does any one own a disco monket i am thinking of buying one to match my Oz to take some of the huge drops!!! Is it a good freeride frame?  What are the pros+cons? Let me know what you guys think

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Disco Monkey?????????
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 04:25:20 pm »
Well, I am only showing you this because I can't afford to buy anything right now!  [smiley=laughing.gif]

Seriously though, here is a brand new store stock 2001 Disco Monkey frame (Size L) on E-Bay:

http://tinyurl.com/5tam2

I run a 2003 Boxxer on a 2000 EVO 4.0. Now I don't do anything to crazy, I am more into speed than big drops. But I frequently take 2-3 foot drops on it an have never had a problem.

If you buy it though I'll trade you my 600Lb NR1 spring for its 550Lb NR1 spring! Depending on what spring rate you need.  ;D

firsttimeflexer

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 07:06:41 pm »
yEAH MAN tHANKS fOR THE LINK BUT i WAS BROWSING EBAY THEN SAW THAT VERY lINK THAT YOU SENT ME.  I AM LOOKING TO EXPAND MY K2 COLLECTION WITH A FREE RIDE BIKE iS THE DISCO MONKEY THE SAME FRAME AS THE EVO? IF IT IS I HAVE HEARD DECENT REVIEWS BUT IN OTHERS I HAVE HEARD BAD THINGS I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS A GOOD MACHINE IF SO THAT ONE ON E-BAY WILL MAKE MY COLLECTION.  ANY INFO YOU OR ANY ONE ELSE CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE GREAT!

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 07:25:11 pm »
Sorry, I should have clarified. Yeah, the Disco monkey is the same front triangle as the Evo's. The EVO 4.0 had a Easton Carbon fiber swingarm, just like the one on the OZ. I think they stopped that with the Discos and only offered the Aluminum swingarm. Could be wrong on that though.

I have to say I pretty much beat the crap out of my bike. i.e. drop off of and roll over everything I possibly can! And, I have never had a single problem in 2 years.

I think pretty much everybody else that owns one likes it. I would recommend it.

lokomonkey

• Apprentice
  • vencer o morir!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 05:48:43 am »
I got my monkey as a frame, so I 'pimp it up' as I wanted it! vanilla RC shock, sherman firefly fork, 24" rear + 26 front single track wheels on nokian tires, truvativ DH light 'bb' and raceface 'north shore' cranks, also a HEIM (3 discs) guide etc, etc..... just came back from riding in Mammoth and north star ;D this bike is the best!!

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 07:26:15 am »
I agree with most of what has been said, the DM/Evo is a great frame although you will want to upgrade the rear shock.You should be able to get one for a reasonable price,but It is not the best freeride bike out there though, it is more of an "aggressive trail bike". I love mine and have it set up with a 5" fork and van r shock, so it can take some punishment but can also be ridden uphills and XC, which is what I need. If you want to do big drops and extreme stuff you will be better off with with a bullit/bighit type bike. I did a 5' drop to flat recently and I don't think I would be confident going much higher unless I have a nice transition to soften the landing.

firsttimeflexer

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 01:46:27 pm »
Thanks "numbnuts" i have heard the same from some of the locals around here they to said it is good for aggressive xc ride but that is not what i was looking for my oz is probably good enough for that but i will take it easy on the harder drops. I will take your advice on the bullit, I rode my freinds which was equiped with a slider plus and did a 10 footer with a good transition no problem(i weigh like 220). It seems like the perfect ride for me because it is light enough to do some cross country aswell.  I think that I will have to step outside the k2 proflex family and go Santa Cruz! Athough my passion lies with xc and still firmly believe that my Oz is unbeatable for what it was made for i will have to look elsewhere for a freeride vehicle (I guess i like the trend of big hits and drops they rock!!!!!!)