Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:22:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 58
Total: 58
58 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newb crankset question....  (Read 5124 times)

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
Re: Newb crankset question....
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2003, 06:18:45 pm »
bayarearider
If you are going to use 2003 LX cranks and ES51 BB the spindle length is longer. Rule of thumb 113 is now 118, because the cranks set deeper. You can't mix 2002 with2003. You can mix any other year octalink,LX with XT. Shimano purposely made the 2003 LX heavier, so weight weenies would buy the XT. Before, the difference in weight was nothing, so the smart buyers all bought LX. Now people think, hey , LX weighs so many grams more, they buy the XT. Still a damn good set of cranks. If you follow the MTB forums, there is a lot of good info, and this subject has been beaten into the ground. A lot of high end bikes use Raceface and Truvative, and they have a good reputation, for shifting well. The real reason for not using LX is the CHI CHI factor. I recently bought 2002 XTR Cranks/BB used 140.00. Rings were in great cond. I would never pay 250 or 300 for a pair of cranks. There are a lot of good deals to be had used. Hope that helps Rich

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2003, 06:58:08 pm »
jedoaks,

is that spindle rule the same for the ES71?  because i plan to order in a couple hours and need to make sure i am getting the right spindle length.

so i need to get the 73x118 size correct?

thanks for all the replies
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2003, 07:13:43 pm »
starting to doubt myself.....one last question......what is the difference between the es71 and the es51?

is it worth the extra 5 bucks?

i just checked the supergo web site...under technical notes section for the ES-71:

"Not compatible with FC-572 LX Cranks. 113mm width results in a 47.5mm chainline. 118mm width results in a 50mm chainline. 118mm is also used for frames with wider chainstay spacing, to allow crankarm clearance. Consult your frame's manufacturer if you are unsure which width will work best for you."

is this right?? i am guessing this means i can't get this BB if i get the LX crankset?

and where can i look up the chainline for my bike?
98 way big proflex 3000

thanks for all the responses!
03 Razorback

Tom_A.

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2003, 03:13:19 am »

Yes, I've ordered them from Chuck.  It will fit any square taper BB.  It's an older Truvativ model that they don't make any more.  The 2 big rings are aluminun and the small is steel.  It's a bargain if you want to stay with the square BB.  It's probably equivalent to an older LX.

The other thing you could probably do is to take the rings off and put them on your LX.  Aren't the older LX 5 arm models?

That's the crankset I have on my '99 4000.  I ordered them through chuck and didn't have any problems.  The model is a Truvative 4D which is a discontinued model.  They work great and aren't boat anchors.

Tom A.

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
aceRe: Newb crankset question....
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2003, 03:48:42 am »
@Matno:

Personally, everyone I know who has used the ISIS system has replaced the bottom bracket within a year. Shimano BB's tend to last several years, as do the cranks.  

Another thing my LBS told me, was the weakness of the RaceFace-BB! So I suppose you're right about that. He installed another BB in my bike, but I don't know what brand. His experience with RF-BB was the same as the experience of youre friends.

BTW: You think his story about octalink cranks comming off the octalink BB can't be real? Might it be an old problem with octalink? I always thought I had a good LBS.

Greetings, Jeroen.

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
bayarearider
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2003, 02:28:41 pm »
bayarearider
So what did you end up doing?

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 06:36:20 pm »
Hey,

i didn't order yet....my damn performance coupon expired.  I am looking for a new one.  I decided to go with XT with the es-71.  It's about 30 bucks more than the lx setup.  I am also getting a new cassette and chain.  Basically drivetrain overhaul, considering parts are all original (98 proflex).

i'll let you guys know when i get everything ordered and in.

thanks again for answering all my questions
03 Razorback

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
Bayrider, a good safe pick
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2003, 03:31:30 pm »
because most are leery of the new LX. I'm not trying to be rude, but that is what Shimano had in mind. Upgrade to XT, because of the strange BB length and incompatibilty with XT. Where do you find the coupons? Rich
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 03:32:47 pm by jedoaks »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2003, 04:45:40 pm »
i got mine from bike magazine.  i know there are some floating around.

i'll let you know if i get some extras
03 Razorback

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2003, 10:01:08 am »
Hey guys,

i got all my drivetrain stuff.  Now i am ordering some tools needed for the install.  Hopefully someone can answer 1 more question for me.

I ended up buying last years 751 XT crankset.  I took a look at the crank bolts and i believe i need something called a pin spanner.  I checked out parktool.com's website and they have two different versions.   SPA-1 and SPA-2

anyone know which one i need?

03 Razorback

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2003, 03:40:23 pm »
Good choice, that is just for the dust cap. Do you have a crank puller? Mine has the little spaner on the end. Snap ring  or circlip pliers work good. I have never used the special tool. The first time I used two 16p nails, one in each hole, and turn together. Doesn't do anything, but keep the inside clean. I think it is a poor design. Why not make the bolt big enough, so that it comes out flush with the crank arm, like the old style cranks .I would not worry about it. Rich

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2003, 06:37:20 pm »
hey jedoaks,

yeah i got the crankpuller and bb tool.  I guess i'll skip the span tool.  Is it ok for me to use automotive grease?  I have loads of this stuff.  Or do i need bike specific grease?

03 Razorback