Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 12:16:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 66
Total: 66
66 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Weight Discussion  (Read 4063 times)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Weight Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 04:58:20 pm »
Hmm... 36lbs. sounds a little high if you are going for a more XC type ride. My Foes DHS Mono is 34.3lbs. according to my bathroom scale. Mind you thats without the Crank / chain / Rear Hydraulic disc brake But that should only be a few pounds. It should be under 40lbs. total.

Yeah others are right about tires / tubes. The less rotating mass the better. Quicker acceleration, and the bike will just feel more nimble.

The way I look at weight in relation to bike parts is... well, I dont care! I figure If the bike is too heavy then I am not in good enough shape!  [smiley=laughing.gif]

BTW - My EVO [geared more to all mountain riding]  was prob about the same weight and it wasn't bad.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 07:45:20 am »
my evo checks out to be about 35lbs and i find that to be fine. sure there are times when a few less lbs would be nice but i really like the way it goes downhill.I am using freeride/dh components ie cranks/bb/handlebars/rim/wheels/tyres cos i kept knackering the xc stuff, now i have cracked the frame and realise that if i should get a more heavy duty bike.i am going to try and get a freeride bike in about  the same weight. Those mutanoraptor tyres  are great when new but are not too durable, after a  while the side knobs  start peeling off,  i almost bought it last weekend when the rear wheel  skidded out at hi  speed, wen i checked the tyre 4 knobs had sheared off

disco magic

• Novice
  • I love to Bounce
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 02:48:23 pm »
The Evo/Monkey frame is suitably versatile that you can range from a sub 30lb xc ride to 35lb + light freeride / DH.

My Disco Monkey now weighs in at a wopping 37lb! Its been modified with Sherman Firefly Forks, 20mm thru axle, Mavic 321 Front / 519 rear, Nokian Gazaloddi Duals F&R & 203mm hayes discs. Biggest weight increase was the forks/hub, but the fireflys and thru axle transformed the handling. Its a bit of a beast on the climbs but its all smiles on the way down.

Interestingly I initially tried to lighten the bike when I first got it, including swapping the wheelset for a lighter set, but two tacoed wheels later, realised that I was sacrificing durability. Not that I'm a hardcore downhiller, would describe more as agressive cross country riding, who prefers going downhill fast and the occassional rock garden / drops.

I am 40yrs old and can still keep with younger riders on the climbs - I've noticed that with the added bike weight the overall speed up the favourite tracks hasn't changed much.

So the answer is - there is no right answer! It's really up to your individual riding preferences.

Disco Monkey