Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 11:20:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What to do with my Proflex 856?  (Read 7103 times)

Wolfthing

• Novice
  • Proflex 856 - making molehills out of mountains.
Re: What to do with my Proflex 856?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 10:50:55 pm »
I "discovered" CVI in my on going phone round.

The bike is currently back at the shop, we strongly suspect that the top plate has bent because the shop didn't tighten up the top clamping bolt (the clamp just below the stem).

I got a call from them saying that they weren't too sure what's gone on and my beloved bike has been sent onto their Head Office.

I've had a look at the CVI site - I'm assuming their shock upgrades come recommended? But are they as reliable as elastomers? I do a lot of cross country in damp, boggy, bits of the UK - the reason I like the Girvin kit is that it all looks and feels very durable.

Wolfthing

• Novice
  • Proflex 856 - making molehills out of mountains.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 11:05:11 pm »
Simon! Help!

The shop got back to me and said that as a good will gesture they'll give me 10% off a new set of forks.

How much would you want for your vectors?

And where are you? Are you in the UK?

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 11:28:28 pm »
If simon can't help have a look on ebay. There is a heap of Noleen crosslinks on there at the moment going for a wide range of prices.

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 05:38:29 am »
I have an 856 frame and I wouldn't part with it - ever!

It's a classic, lightweight frame that was very modern for it's age and is still relevant.

I would also never get what it's really worth if I tried to sell it.

You should be able to run it with a modern 80mm / 100mm telescopic fork and I would bin the elastomers and get a Risse rear shock.

The only real potential problems are wear in the main swing arm pivot bushes and some cracking (on some frames) around the seat tower and above the BB in the gusseting but not fatal IMHO.

One day when I get a new fork it will be resurrected as a spare/visitor/girlfriend bike - at the moment it is set up as a single speed.

The latest issue of MBA magazine (USA) has a picture of Djernis carrying one down a rocky section of an XC world cup course (when XC didn't mean smooth canal tow path courses) which was gnarlier than most modern DH courses!

Awesome machine!

Sprucey

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 09:43:38 am »
Simon! Help!

The shop got back to me and said that as a good will gesture they'll give me 10% off a new set of forks.

How much would you want for your vectors?

And where are you? Are you in the UK?

Check your PM, all details have been sent to you.
I'm sure we can get you back on the trails very soon then you can think about taking the goodwill option offered to you at a later date.
Simon
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 09:44:53 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,