Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 09:18:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: What to do with my Proflex 856?  (Read 7102 times)

Michael Kaply

What to do with my Proflex 856?
« on: October 04, 2004, 01:32:02 am »
I have a Proflex 856 which I bought many years ago, but unfortunately, as it sat in my garage, the front shock exploded leaving yellow goo on the front tire and frame.

Anyway, at this point I'd like to get the bike back into riding condition, or at least in a condition so that it can be sold (maybe for parts?).

So, a few questions.

1. Anyone know how to remove the goo from surfaces in a safe way? It's on the frame, fork and tire (and my garage floor)

2. What should I replace my shocks with?

3. Is there a shop somewhere in the nation that specializes in getting these bikes back in shape.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Kaply

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
Re: What to do with my Proflex 856?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:27 am »
Hi Mike.

I am not sure how to clean the yellow goo off.... some other proflexers on the board have had similar experiences so hopefully, they can help you out with that.

There are several options to get your bike going again.  

1> You can have a look at the MCU topic that is at the top of the page.  This route would be the lease expensive.  

2> You can tey to get a speed spring upgrade, but these are hard to come by.

3> You can buy Risse air shocks to replace the ODS units on your bike.  You will have much better performance with this upgrade, lighter weight and substantially higher cost.  There units are roughly $130-$160 each (you need one for the rear and one for the forks) depending on the unit you choose.

Cheers,
Trevor    :)

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 06:00:23 am »
Well, I will see what I can do!

1. Maybe try a product called "goo be gone" or a similar product, you should be able to get it at any hardware store.

Warning: read the label to be 100% sure that it is safe for paint! I am pretty sure it is but, just to make sure.

2. You could just buy new MCU's (the yellow twinkiess that melted) They are usually on E-bay. Infact there is a sticky (the first post on the forum) that has a link to them. Or I believe it is stratos that made a coil spring modification replacement for the MCU's.

3.  As for a  shop that specializes in these bikes... I think pretty much any reputable shop should be able to handle this bike. Everything on the bike is pretty standard except for the MCU's. And if you get new ones they just bolt right in place of the old ones.

I am a bit lacking in the proflex bikes department (I started with a EVO) but, I hope this helps.

Michael Kaply

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 07:15:34 am »

3.  As for a  shop that specializes in these bikes... I think pretty much any reputable shop should be able to handle this bike. Everything on the bike is pretty standard except for the MCU's.

Ha. I wish. I took it to a local bike store, and they said to just toss it and get a new bike.

Michael Kaply

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 07:26:21 am »

3> You can buy Risse air shocks to replace the ODS units on your bike.  You will have much better performance with this upgrade, lighter weight and substantially higher cost.  There units are roughly $130-$160 each (you need one for the rear and one for the forks) depending on the unit you choose.

What shock do I use for the front? I see info on the rear here:

http://www.risseracing.com/applications/proflex.htm

Thanks!

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 08:18:56 am »
[/quote]

Ha. I wish. I took it to a local bike store, and they said to just toss it and get a new bike.

[/quote]

Ha another Ill'informed bike store,the 856 is a great rig [smiley=nod.gif].

As for the front shock,scroll down to the bottom of the page on the link you posted,there's a pic of a risse genisis fitted to a vector fork and a list of applications to suit,you just need to see the whole page.
Simon
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 09:06:32 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Kevins19

• Apprentice
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 08:34:25 am »
"Ha. I wish. I took it to a local bike store, and they said to just toss it and get a new bike."

Well, then I wouldn't consider them a good LBS.  They just wanted to make more money off of you by selling you a new bike. [smiley=disbelief.gif]

There use to be a great LBS by my house. Everybody who worked there was really into riding (they weren't just ther for a job) and helped you get what would work best for you, not what would make them the most money.

Then, sometimes you come across a crappy LBS that doesn't even know how to put a bike together. I won't name it but when I was in FL for college I got my Boxxer and needed to get my new headseat and crank and rear derailer. Being in college I didn't have any of my tools with me and had to have the LBS but the stuff on. First off they put my headset together wrong and I had to take it apart and put it back together.  For the rear derailer they never got it adjusted right. I had to take it bake 3 times for them to fix it and they never did get it right. And, the best part was when I brought them the RS Boxxer and they replied by saying... wow, I have never seen a fork like that! I was like WTF!?!?! Then They never torqued the upper crown bolt properly and it came loos the second ride. Needless to say I never went bake after I got everything sorted out.

tmaybee

• Master
  • Go ride!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 08:40:27 am »
The Risse unit for your vector fork is called a Genesis and is at the bottom of that page.  For the rear of the bike, you can use any of the three listed shocks.  I hate fiddiling with things once I set them up and I? want lightest weight possible, so I went with a Genesis on the rear as well.

If you want to go with Risse air shocks, email Bill Larson as he has the best prices.

Bill larson
2808 NE MLK Jr. Blvd #J
Portland, OR 97212
Shop (503) 281-0485
Cell (503) 793-8862
wlarson(AT)stdairy(DOT)com

He is very busy though, so try not to bombard him with questions.  I usually give him a tip as well to help cover paypal fees because his prices are so low.

BTW, most bike shops are not very usefull other than to sell you a new bike, perform simple tune ups or sell you generic parts. I know because I used to work at one.  A good, helpful bike shop is hard to find and if you have one in your area, you are very fortunate.  

If you need parts for your 856, call K2 directly and they should have what you need.  You may want to buy a rear pivot kit and a bushing and seal kit for your fork just to have a spare on hand if you plan on keeping your bike for a while.   ;)

Hope this helps,
Trevor
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 08:44:20 am by tmaybee »

Mike_Farris

• Novice
  • I totally AM the Charlie Browniest...
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 03:26:05 am »
FWIW, if you're considering replacing the ODS shock on your fork with a Risse Genesis, you may want to think about buying another fork instead. Take a look on eBay for a Marzocchi Z-2 or a Manitou SX... or any other quality fork with around 80mm of travel. You can probably pick one up in really good shape for around $50 or so. A Risse shock will cost much more.

If it were my bike, and I was going to ride it instead of sell it, I'd get a fork on eBay and buy a Risse for the rear instead. Admittedly, it won't look as cool...  8)

Good luck!

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 01:14:22 am »
i sure miss 'krusty' my old 856 -

should have never sold it - best light weight xc bike ever made

OP

(a pic of it in my gallery - i think i'm gonna cry again for selling it - what was i thinking?)
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 04:50:31 am »
 [smiley=coolfrown.gif] Same deal with me I sold my 856 and spent $2000 on a bike I dont like as much. sure it is a little more plush on the down hills but I ride XC so the fun factor is not as hich with out my old 856. The worst part is I sold it to a good friend that rides with me twice a week so I get to ride it once in a while. [smiley=coolfrown.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

mark burke

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 05:25:09 am »
I have had the same problem with my proflex 856.
I ordered elastomers from k2...but I cannot put the pieces back together again.  (sounds like an old story)
I need help.  Anyone out there with a parts breakdown of a front girvin shock assembly with elastomers.

thanks

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 03:00:39 am »
hi,
  all on this site under how tos, or under www.k2bikes.com. They are easy to dismantle when you know how.

cheers,

Dan

Wolfthing

• Novice
  • Proflex 856 - making molehills out of mountains.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 01:24:13 am »
I've had a 'significant' accident on my 856, and I've just got back from the shop - and it looks grim. The top plate (The thin plate below the stem) on my Vector fork is twisted, and the UK doesn't appear to have any K2 resellers!

The natural option would be to twist it back, sell it, and buy another FS MTB.  After reading some of the posts - I think I'll get it fixed and stick with it!

:)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:08:17 am »
Try CVI in the UK for Proflex parts.
Let me know if your really stuck I've an old pair of vectors kicking around.
Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,