Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:44:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 40
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: picking up a proflex 757 frame for $75 tonight  (Read 4580 times)

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: picking up a proflex 757 frame for $75 tonight
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2003, 04:39:53 pm »
bayarearider -

you may wanna hook up with the callum at rdi -

he's well versed in the single speed world

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2003, 05:42:48 pm »
I checked out SheldonBrown's website, and decided i will build a Budget SS bike with my frame.

The part that i know i will have to fork out some $$ for is the rear shock, because i currently do not have one.  

I have a question.......  Is the front shock (Girvin fork) interchangable with the rear shock?  They are both NR-2 correct?

Also which shock takes more precedence.....front shock or rear shock?  If you had a choice of upgrading your suspension....which would you reoplace with the higher quality model?  The front or the rear?

and one more question...... places to order a replacement?  

I am thinking either genesis, or another NR-2 if i can find one cheap.

thanks
03 Razorback
Santa Cruz Tazmon Frame Forsale
Proflex 3000 and Crosslink Fork Forsale
Spinergy Rev Carbon Wheelset Forsale

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2003, 08:38:54 pm »
no, they are not interchangable. they are different lengths and mounts. the front girvin has only 1 option, risse. the rear has at least 2, risse and stratos. some previous posters have made a fox fit, with some custom work.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2003, 04:11:09 am »
carbon  can i see more pics of your SS setup?

what kind of chain tensioner is that?

check out my gallery here.  there is a pic or three of the bike. the tensioner is a Surley Singulator... works fine since i replaced the jockey wheel with a new one. i managed to chew it up with the chain before i had the thing allinged right.

i am running a Singulator, a BMX 16 rear cog with spacers an 8 speed chain. Front is a Deore mtb crank with only the 32 (middle ring).  Using the same tapered BB that came with the bike and flat pedals that would make good bear traps and have found my shin a few times.

For the rear i'd just try to find a servisable, used nr-2. Get it built as SS and try it out.  If you love it (it is fun), then you can think about putting some nicer bits into her if your budget permits.  i ride mine 'round the neighborhood with the family and take it out to do some dirt rollers once in a while and Yosemite Valley.  i would blow my knees out (and my guts) trying to climb my ususal trails around here on the SS.

Man, i thought i was the only one in the whole frickin world with an 857 SS..oh well now there may be two in the Bay Area! :o [smiley=laughing.gif]

[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 04:12:10 am by carbon_angus »

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2003, 06:56:37 am »
Don't worry carbon, you were the one who inspired me to buiild the SS.  Hehe, there you get your props.

just curious......Is the bmx freewheel installed on a 8 or 9 speed hub?  Are there hub specific spacers? or can i use some pipe cutouts from homedepot?

did you need spacers for your crankset?

03 Razorback

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2003, 07:47:05 am »
Don't worry carbon, you were the one who inspired me to buiild the SS.  Hehe, there you get your props.

just curious......Is the bmx freewheel installed on a 8 or 9 speed hub?  Are there hub specific spacers? or can i use some pipe cutouts from homedepot?

did you need spacers for your crankset?

my LBS actually built it up for me.  it's an 8 speed hub, i suppose you could use PVC pipe cut for the width, as i have herad that done. the 16 tooth cog is just that... a cog.  they built it up origonaly with  a rear derailler with screw adjustments to hold it where it should be.  i put the singulator on myslef later. no spacers for the crankset, just be sure you have a perfect chainline with whatever spacers you use. i'm goingto snap a pic of the hub and insert it here later for you.  Okay two pics in my gallery of the hub third from the top in each column (if you view this like i do)

angus
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 08:08:23 am by carbon_angus »

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2003, 09:23:16 am »
that SS is way cool. If i got that $75 deal i would definately be happy to spend some more$ and time to set it up, not as my #1 bike but as a fun thing. If that Girvan fork is operational it would be a travesty ditch it for a normal fork. Just find a cheap rear shock and have fun. If one can fit  i'd try to go with an air shock, you might want to keep  the wt down if you are ditching the gears. Remember there's no such thing as too many bikes!

bayarearider

• Journeyman
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2003, 01:35:21 pm »
Great pictures carbon.
Exactly what i was looking for.

I am weighing my options as to the rear shock.

numbnuts, i am definitly keeping the girvin the way it is....why spend more money where it is not needed.  And you are right i don't want a regular looking fork...i love the parrallelogram design.

Anyone know where i can find a cheap rear shock?

My last option would be shelling out some money and getting the risse for my proflex 3000( my main bike) and taking the NR-2 from the 3000 and installing it on the SS.

But i probably won't do that until i know there is no cheap rear shock option for me out there. (couple weeks of searching)

03 Razorback

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2003, 08:26:56 pm »
why dont you hook up with this guy?
97 nr4 for sale
kiwi proflex rider