Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:20:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: which spv/propedal rear shock for Oz?  (Read 5855 times)

Sprucey

• Journeyman
Re: which spv/propedal rear shock for Oz?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2005, 08:23:00 am »
I have the 8.5" I2I 5th Element Coil - since late summer last year and it is awesome.

Whilst I haven't measured the travel of the Oz I can feel it has increased SUBSTANTIALLY and it is so smooth.

I am 5ft 11" with short legs - a 30" - 31" inside leg (trouser measurement). I have the large Oz and the stand over is no problem.

I a static mode the bike sits higher but as soon as you sit on it and set the correct amount of sag up (for weight and riding style) the BB height is no different to std.

I paired it with a 120mm Marzocchi Marathon up front. Marzocchis are traditionally a tall fork with long axle to crownheight compared to some others. The 8.5" rear balances it beautifully. I use a 100mm stem.

The only problem I have is the weight of the coil 5th Element. It is heavy but the increased performance, even up hill does go a long way to counteract that.

If I was to do it all again i would choose the 8.5" I2I Manitou Swinger air (or 5th Element air/Freeride Gravity if they bring one out)

I have ridden the bike on soft trails on the South Downs in southern England, purpose made knarly trails in South wales and also in the French Alps so it's done quite a lot.

Sprucey

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2005, 08:30:36 am »
There we have it. With standover height in question, the 7 7/8 is worth a shot.

Maybe if someone has an extra 7 7/8 shock, maybe it could be lent to you to try. I will know tomarrow if the 7 1/2 shock is mine and I could lend you my 8.5 to try.

My fork is a Psylo SL. I wind the height down 2 inches for climbing and is perfect angle. Then raise 2 inches for 5 inches of travel for downhill. Like Sprucey I would get an air version.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 08:39:35 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

GaryF52

• Apprentice
  • It's only a little further to the top.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 12:31:56 pm »
I have a 7 7/8" Fox on my Disco Monkey and 8 1/4" Stratos on my 5000.  I've played around with swapping them and the difference is noticable, but minor in my opinion.   What I noticed with the Fox was the slightly lower BB height resulted in more pedal contact.  The slacker head angle did not seem to have a negative effect on steering, but lifting the front to go over obstacles seems to require slightly more effort with the short shock.  

I prefer the longer shock but the Monkey is still a great handler with the Fox.  Both bikes are outstanding climbers.  I've never tried an SPV system.  For my style of XC riding, the high cost of those shocks is hard to justify.

I've had my eyes peeled for a good deal on an 8 1/4" or 8 1/2" shock but haven't had any luck yet.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2005, 08:57:22 am »
I am also 5'11". My inseam is 34". I still have some standover with the 8.5 i2i shock and 120 mm fork.

However, the 7.5 i2i Swinger 3 option is now under way. A payment of $182.50 has been sent to the seller and the shock should arrive in a couple of weeks. I will be working on the adapter in the mean time. If all goes as planned I should be testing at end of the month. This setup will be swappable to the Evo as well.

Well it's back to work.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 10:55:48 am »
so here is the end of this story:

I just snagged an 8.25" i2i fox talas rl. can't wait to  get it and mount it on the Oz. now I should have a do-all Oz with a talas fork and shock.

will report.

[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2005, 04:10:29 pm »
The 7.5 inch Swinger is on! [smiley=laughing.gif]
Did a test ride tonight with air spring at 110lbs, and SPV at 70 lbs. Ride was pretty stiff with no bobbing, am going to reset at 120 spring and 60 SPV for more compliance. Length measures at 8.3 inches. Adapt er adds about 40 grams to the shock.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS