Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 01:21:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 31
Total: 31
31 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: WANTED in UK: 200LBS/IN coilspring or less  (Read 4858 times)

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
Re: WANTED in UK: 200LBS/IN coilspring or less
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 09:12:33 pm »
Hi all,
        wow - I probably should make sure I have the right lb spring, etc.

I am around 15 stone (210lbs), and running a Vector setup with Girvin crosslink legs (see gallery).

I have an ODS shock on the front and have modified it to take a 350LBS coil spring from a rear smartshock.,

Will a 200lbs x 1 spring be the one to go for? Would a progressively wound one be a good idea too?

dan  [smiley=beer.gif]

ps cheers Si for the numbers - will check em out. Anyone else want to do a bulk deal (see if we can get a discount?)

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 09:39:12 am »
the great k2 spring charts suggest a 225 for 190-230 lb rider,although it seems to be accepted that those suggestions are a wee bit stiff......praps a 200 225 progressive would be cool,but of course with a custom spring you could say give me a 212!
kiwi proflex rider

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 11:22:41 pm »
Hi

Thanks Kiwi  [smiley=beer.gif]

D  [smiley=nod.gif]

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2004, 10:00:15 am »
found this list online which I'll check out.

http://www.ist.org.uk/manufacturers.htm

[smiley=beer.gif] D

will

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2004, 10:02:28 am »
Red Alert!

I'm almost the same tonnage as you Dan, and my brand stinkin' new Noleen ELT has a "200" written on the pretty yellow spring. However, when I climb aboard, my static sag is about 50% of the travel!

I think a 225 of 250 pound spring will work way better. Now if I could only find one... ( and a 350 for the back!)

Will

will

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2004, 01:04:39 am »
Listen to KIWI!!

I went to the "local spring factory" and got a terrific education in springs along with a catalog and free swag.

The general manager actually had some samples he made for a California bike builder he gave me on the way out... (He couldn't remember the name of the company, but they are tapered, progressive springs. Very cool!)

Here's a guideline on spring labelling - at least for us Yanks:  If the spring says 200#, that means it takes 200# to compress the spring 1". I actually got to test a few springs on a massive digital press.

Funny story: I had a spring that I estimated was 200# by standing on it with hard soled shoes. When my 200ish pound bulk squished it about an inch, I thought it was close. The actual measurement was 194.73#. The spring factory guy actually does this out on the plant floor for quick checks! Apparently, it's kind of like wine tasting. He can spot weak spots and poor material this way.

Anyhow, the Diamond Wire Company has a great online catalog and spring calculator. Very interesting stuff - for us geeks. Try  http://www.diamondwire.com/  

Cheers and beers to you Kiwi.

Will

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 07:34:51 am »
hi all,
      my first response was Simpsons springs and pressing Ltd, who have quoted £45 minumum, most likey more to make me a 225 in/lbs spring! Will keep looking. [smiley=yawn.gif]
cheers,
Dan [smiley=beer.gif]

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2005, 08:05:19 pm »
not getting any cheaper - two more responses.

NEIL SATUR/COIL SPRINGS - "1 SPRING WILL COST  £60+VAT/DELIVERED BY POST IN UK .15
WORKING DAYS FROM RECEIPT OF CHEQUE" [smiley=redface.gif]

Craftsman springs - "these springs will cost you #60.00 a pair + VAT #10.00 + VAT 3-4 days
delivery on receipt of your payment". [smiley=upset.gif]

anyone wanna go havles on a spring if I go for the pair from craftsman springs?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 08:06:45 pm by junkster »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 03:47:37 am »
Junkster why not ask some off our friends on this site if they could assist in sourcing a spring in there neck of the woods on your behalf,or source one yourself from abroad, bound to be a much more reasonable price even with postage especially with the current exchange rate,
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

will

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 05:42:49 am »
It's not the prettiest solution, but...

Right now I'm using a calibrated die spring on the back of my 856. There are a few pix in the gallery if you want to check it out.

The difference is that it's a rectangular cross section and it's a little heavier than a typical bike spring.

Another difference is that it was very inexpensive. You can get these from any tool & die supply house.

Still trying to find that SPV shock for < $100. Not too likely I suppose.

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 12:52:17 am »
Hi Simon,
               yeah, Colin has kindly been looking into it. He is looking into the possibility of a titanium version.

I'll let you know the outcome as he did mention the possibility of getting a bulk discount if anyone else is up for it here on the site.

Nice work on your gallery recently btw. Do you ever have time to go down the pub or spend time with....ahhh what dy'a call them......ahhh family.  [smiley=laughing.gif]

cheers, Dan  [smiley=beer.gif]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:53:41 am by junkster »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2005, 05:02:02 am »
Dan is this any help.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com//Models.aspx?ModelID=3156
they have a lot of different sizes and weights at a reasonable price.
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 07:04:49 pm »
Hi Simon,
             cheers, checked this out before but neglected to put the link on this site. Unfortunately I already have the lowest rated spring they do, (350). I am after a 200. Good price for those who want replacement springs though.

cheers,
Dan