Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 06:15:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 13
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 10
Total: 10
10 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: final post about rear shock adapter - promise!!  (Read 7123 times)

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
Re: final post about rear shock adapter - promise!!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:43 am »
If upside down, the shock body will hit the frame.
At least on my large frames it will!!!
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

timboiow

• Novice
  • Old bloke on a proflex
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:50:46 am »
Did i miss the chance to order one of these beauties ?  ;)

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:46:06 am »

you must be using a different shock coz the flox float, as per my first photo, is thinner at the bottom so should not have any problems with hiting the frame when mounted upside down.

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 07:14:06 am »

you must be using a different shock coz the flox float, as per my first photo, is thinner at the bottom so should not have any problems with hiting the frame when mounted upside down.

Yes, I was talking about a Manitou Swinger 3way.
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

simonlovell99

• Novice
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »
I be interested in one of the shock adapters for my 98 beast. Getting a few problems with the noleen, had nitrogen recharge but has harsh top out and rebound doesnt work. Can you pm me some info

Thanks

dogsridewith

• Novice
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:21 pm »
Howdy:
weightweenies forum MTB thread on a lefty linkage fork mentioned a Proflex forum. found this. Profile indicates main interest. Front shock has lost all rebound damping and has no jounce at start of travel...so embarassing clanking as it tops out. With, of course, crappy trail holding.

Noleen warantee rebuilt the rear early on, and it may still be normal.  Re-installed with a piece of wide inner tube cut to a rectangular shape.  Wrapped this sheet around top end of shock and held in place by wrapping its top with stretched black PVC electrical tape.  Sheet flares out and is contact cemented (DAP Weldwood) to top ends of fork legs.  This shields the whole shock very well from junk thrown off rear tire, but will drain if anything gets in, and allows access to damping adjustment collar.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:00:04 pm by dogsridewith »
857-- Interest is shocks and shock adapters for front and rear; rebuilding Noleens by them, others or self

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:54 am »
I be interested in one of the shock adapters for my 98 beast. Getting a few problems with the noleen, had nitrogen recharge but has harsh top out and rebound doesnt work. Can you pm me some info

the man with the tools is in process of making up a numebr of these adapters (poissible as many as 3 depending on the amount of alloy bar left).

I need to check my pm here but all 3 have been "reserved" - if one should fall through then you would be next in the queue.

Note that kit comprises 3 bushes and the adapter for Fox float shock conversion to a Proflex XP-8 and 756 series of bikes (someone correct me if I am wrong here), XL, L and M frames - S frame may not fit the shock unless it is fitted upside down.

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 07:44:30 pm »
That is a 165mm shock, and should have around 38mm stroke, correct?
Isn't the stroke too small for the bike?
Noleens had around 50mm stroke, and the problem on making an adapter for a x57 frame is exactly geometry VS stroke of the shock, as a 165mm shock would be nice, but short in stroke.
A 190mm shock will change the geometry.

I have had a Fox Float on my 5500 and have been constantly thinking about how to improve the design for about 6 years now.  Just for clarification stroke effects how much travel it has, and length determines how high or low it sits.  I definitely would go with a shock that has 50mm (2") of stroke if that is what the stock shock had.  Now all you need to do is subtract the proper amount of sag for the bike from the stock length of the shock and you have what I'll refer to as the ride height number.  Now, you take the length of the new shock plus or minus length added or taken away by the adapter, then subtract the ride height number and you have your new sag number.  The goal is to pick a shock length that works with the numbers so that you get a sag number that makes the new shock happy, and the bike happy as well. 

My 7 7/8" (200mm) X 2" (50mm) likes a 1/2" (12.7mm) of sag.  The stock sag in the back of the 5500c is 8mm, so I built my adapter to make the shock effectively 5mm longer, and I set my sag to 13mm in the back.  Since the stock Noleens didn't get a true 2" of stroke, I actually got more travel at the rear wheel, and with the greater amount of sag more of it could be used in the negative travel giving me better traction overall.  I have since determined that an 8.5" rear shock will just bolt in and would provide for a stiffer rear end (which others have done many times).  The older floats wouldn't fit, but the new designs will fit upside down.  Finding spacers has been a problem though, and the shock is about 1000 miles away from the bike.
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Tel

• Journeyman
  • My cycling buddys
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 08:33:50 am »
Is there any chance of getting hold of one of these or similar as my old noleen has just got headache and packed up forever and its looking like I may be proflexless for some time to come. any help much apreciated.
 Cheers, Tel.
Never whistle through your teeth with a mouthfull of blancmange

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Sorry Tel, were you asking me or 02gf74?

I assume you meant me if you were talking about the Noleen then you were referring to me.  After the race on the 15th I am willing to send you my current iteration that I've been riding for years while I work on the new version.  That way you can report to the forum on how well it does or doesn't work, and decide if you want to invest in the new setup when I get done.  Now my new mount won't cost much, but the shock and the cost of custom tuning will add up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:41:14 pm by jazclrint »
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

Tel

• Journeyman
  • My cycling buddys
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:28 am »
Hi  jazclrint, its all become a little irrelevent for a little while as some piece of%$ has just helped themselves to the tools on my van and replacing those will need to be my priority for a while, thanks though mate, I ve been a member here for many years and look in most days though I post very infrequently, but I`m always impressed by the help the good people on here are always willing to give to folk.
 Many thanks mate, Tel.
Never whistle through your teeth with a mouthfull of blancmange

timboiow

• Novice
  • Old bloke on a proflex
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:33 am »
Tel, You said the Noleen has got a headache and packed-up - are we talking "doesn't work at all" or simply "isn't very good"...if its the former and it'll help i've got an old N-2 you could have to keep you going? Just shout and i'll get it in the post. Hope the theiving feck-wits that stole your tools hurt themselves with them.
regards
Timbo