Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:24:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 50
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 34
Total: 34
34 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 203 mm Avid rotors on rear of Monkey?  (Read 2186 times)

debaucherous

203 mm Avid rotors on rear of Monkey?
« on: May 03, 2004, 09:39:21 am »
I got one of the closeout Bumpy Monkeys from Supergo to replace my 4000 that was too small.  It's been most excellent so far.  I've made almost all the upgrades that I want/need  ;D.  I'm putting an 8" brake on the front and have the parts to also go from 6-8 on the rear.  Now the questions:

Will an 8" rotor be too much brake for the rear?

Or, has anyone tried an 8" rear brake?

Current setup:

Rear- 7.875 inch Vanilla R

Front- Manitou Sherman Firefly

Avid mechanicals front and rear

XTR Crankset

Rocket Shorty Shifters

Various other bits...

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
Re: 203 mm Avid rotors on rear of Monkey?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:11:44 pm »
Well, I've always considered 8" rotors to be overkill on the back of ANY bike, but then, I am not a heavy rider, and I learned long ago that I descend with a lot more control when I primarily use my front brake...

As for the frame being able to handle it, I'm sure it will be fine. I might wonder about the ability of the "adapted" carbon swingarms (like on your old 4000) to handle the bigger rotor, but not on your Monkey.

The only downside to the 8" rotor that I can think of is the extra weight, but I doubt you're overly concerned about that minor difference, considering your bike's build! Besides, having a smaller rear disc looks funny when you have a bigger front one! Go for it...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

debaucherous

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 04:34:03 am »
Well, I've always considered 8" rotors to be overkill on the back of ANY bike, but then, I am not a heavy rider ...(snip)... The only downside to the 8" rotor that I can think of is the extra weight, but I doubt you're overly concerned about that minor difference, considering your bike's build! (snip)

I am not now, nor have I ever been a light rider.  I am a big ol' guy.  My experience has been it's best for me to build a little on the overkill side.  Plus, all my riding is in rougher steeper terrain.  I ain't a climber no matter what I ride.  I don't climb too well even on a hard tail, so I go for comfort, stability and handling.  

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 11:16:25 am »
By all means, go with the 8" rotors. No reason not to, and you'll probably feel "wimpy" with a mere 6" rotor in the rear...
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 08:29:28 am »
I have avid mechs, 165mm on f +r of my evo and I do like em, but I definately could use more stopping power. I find the brakes get incredibly hot on long steep downhills also, where i ride the back brake has to be used a lot because of the slippery conditions in certain sections that do not allow any front brake. A bigger rotor should give more power so go for it, if you're heavy and ride some steep stuff I don't think you can have too much brakes.