Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:21:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Rear disc adapter  (Read 4824 times)

Frogmorephoto

• Novice
  • I'm really a road rider !!
Rear disc adapter
« on: March 17, 2004, 05:31:24 am »
Hi,

I have a 97/98 Beast with 03 Marzocchis. I also have a set of Hope Mini discs (Number 3)  I'd like to use. The front is no problem but is there an adapter which will allow me to fit the rear caliper? (The rear rotor is 165mm diameter).

This one seem hopeful :-

http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_show_item_details.php?item_id=4

Any ideas gratefully received and acknowledged.

Regards,

Colin.

I will not go gentle into that good night.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Rear disc adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 05:48:49 am »
RDI from the links page can supply you with a suitable adaptor (hammerhead) specifically for your Proflex model,it will be a better setup than the one your currently looking at,Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 07:12:05 am »
yeah, I agree with Simon, go with the RDI adapter.
they are well made and are made specifically for each model of K2/Proflex.
universal models never work well.
[smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:29:38 am »
have to disagree here, for a no drill and tap unit - it looks good and i like it.  universal models can be tweaked to work quite well and if it works, it works, whether drilled and tapped or a bolt on.

i hadn't seen that yet, good concept - easily removeable and installation appears to be quite simple.  i like the little tab at the top left to drop down and snug against the dropout to help against movement of the unit.

i use my top front spacer from my plate to the caliper to do the same and redistribute stress to the top of the dropout.  i did this on all the units i've made and installed ('cept masahiros)

if i didn't make my own, i'd seriously be inclined to give it a try.

OP
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 12:37:22 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 03:04:37 am »
have to disagree here, for a no drill and tap unit - it looks good and i like it.  universal models can be tweaked to work quite well and if it works, it works, whether drilled and tapped or a bolt on.

i hadn't seen that yet, good concept - easily removeable and installation appears to be quite simple.  i like the little tab at the top left to drop down and snug against the dropout to help against movement of the unit.

i use my top front spacer from my plate to the caliper to do the same and redistribute stress to the top of the dropout.  i did this on all the units i've made and installed ('cept masahiros)

if i didn't make my own, i'd seriously be inclined to give it a try.

OP

Hi OP, just thought I'd mention though I've not tried this particular model I did read a test on it and it was found to be a bit wanting in fit and performance, as I've fitted in the past a hammerhead and it was fine thought I'd recommend taking that route,as you know I've also taken the option of making my own and am happier with what I've made,Simon
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 12:16:35 am »
i haven't seen any reports or such on this but if it'll keep the caliper in place and is easy to install and remove - hey, why not.  

i look at all the people, especially on this forum who over time either didn't have the time, tools or even wanted to drill and tap on their 'one and only'.

several have home made units that required no drilling/tapping and seem to work well, i think someone made a carbon model that plugged into the hole in the dropout.  but yes, like you, many of us prefer to make our own -

"aren't you afraid it'll fail and you'll get hurt?" they say -

thank you, unless we can buy something better, many prefer to pack our own chutes, load our own ammo and make a simple bracket.  it's like having our signatures on our bikes.

but for all the others, this looks pretty good.  and for 30 pounds or so, hey, i spent that much on portobello road one day for something i never use.

OP
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 12:27:09 am by Old_Proflexer »

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 03:33:17 am »

OP, can't argue with that  8) pearls of wisdom as usual [smiley=laughing.gif]

Simon [smiley=nod.gif]

Hammer

• Apprentice
  • Take it Easy
    • HammerHead
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 06:37:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

It's been a while.. project at my day job keeping me busy, but the A380 engines are tested and ready to roll, so I have a bit more time these days, at least till the next project lands on my desk.

On the side of designing jet and rocket engines, I started the motorsport company again after a few years of taking it easy... I was able to offer my best buddy a full time job working with the race cars and tuning engines, and he is happy living in sweden and chasing beautiful blondes around!

The website: www.racing-green.com is now purely motorsport, but there is still a link to the old faithful HammerHead site from there. Welcome to Surf in and check the new site out.

OP.. long time, good to see you are still taking a pop at me with every opportunity... keep it up.

For the record, no need to drill and tap the 97/98 Beast series, they came from the factory with threaded holes in the swingarm. So a HammerHead 97HH2K will fit straight on, no drilling and tapping needed.

For the record, I have had several emails from people wishing to purchase HammerHeads to replace their A-Z adapters.

One guy told me that the A-Z adapter worked suitably going forwards, but when he stopped on an incline with the rear brake on, the A-Z adapter rotated backwards, and when he started moving again, it turned the skewer counter clockwise and the rear wheel loosened... then the next time he hit the brakes hard, the rear wheel jumped out... nasty ending.

Needless to say, he was happy with the UVHH we sent him and as we all like happy endings, I can say that he had dental insurance and his smile is once again wall to wall and ten feet tall.

Take It Easy,

Hammer.

mike@racing-green.com

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 12:42:00 am »

OP.. long time, good to see you are still taking a pop at me with every opportunity... keep it up.

I'm sorry mike - what part of my comment are you referring to?

OP

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 04:58:43 am »
Mike, good points. Nice to actually hear about actual experience with the adaptors. Even if it's second hand, it's certainly better than anything the manufacturer/retailer would share! Backward rotation would not be a good thing! (And was something I wondered about when i first saw the thing. Seems like every frame would be different enough to need something like that).

I think they could have added a similar little tab at the BOTTOM to snug against the dropout to help against movement of the unit in the other direction. Of course, you could just add your own little piece, but then, someone who would do that would probably be more inclined to make their own adaptor in the first place. However, there are some noticeable flaws I can see in the design. First, who wants to completely unscrew their skewer every time they change the rear wheel? Second, I have a hard time picturing how that adaptor would even fit on a 4000/5000/etc dropout. Seems like if it would fit at all, it would have to be rotated so far back that it would make cable routing (at least for Avid mechanical discs) really awkward.

One thing, please try to leave your anti-OP sentiments out of this forum. Doesn't serve any purpose and is usually misdirected. In this case, he said nothing at all that could be considered "taking a pop" at you. All he said was that some people enjoy making their own parts and that some people don't want to drill holes in their frames. I built my own adaptor for those very reasons. Cost me $15 in parts (which is close to what I would consider a fair price for a premade adaptor if I were to buy one - the universal one listed above is way overpriced, IMHO) and a little spare time (I enjoyed every minute of it). It's as solid as any frame adaptor I've ever seen and has worked flawlessly for over a year now. (Not quite as pretty as a hammerhead, but it ain't ugly either. Would have been prettier if I hadn't made it with nothing but my bare hands and a Dremel). Plus, I now have several extra bolts and some 6061 aluminum which have come in handy for other homemade projects.

There is no denying that the Hammerhead adaptor is the best commercially available adaptor out there for our bikes. For people who can't/don't want to make their own and don't mind drilling holes in their frames, I always heartily recommend it. However, it is not the only option, so you really shouldn't act offended everytime someone suggests the contrary. This is a forum for people to find answers to questions, which I think it does quite well.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:00:56 am by matno »
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 02:48:02 pm »
I am dense but is that thing just held there by the QR?

[smiley=beer.gif]

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 02:20:18 am »
i believe it's held in place by:

the qr skewer pressure
the bolts squeeze the two plates together against the dropout
the little tab at the front presses against the dropout preventing movement when brake pressure is applied.

i should imagine one could drill a hole in the outer plate and tap into the dropout to help stabilize the unit.

i don't do much braking going backwards but on a steep incline and stopping, i usually apply both front and rear
(i think, don't remember 'cause i usually don't stop)

OP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 06:54:35 am by Old_Proflexer »

Hammer

• Apprentice
  • Take it Easy
    • HammerHead
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 01:37:37 am »
One thing, please try to leave your anti-OP sentiments out of this forum. Doesn't serve any purpose and is usually misdirected. In this case, he said nothing at all that could be considered "taking a pop" at you. All he said was that some people enjoy making their own parts and that some people don't want to drill holes in their frames.

Thanks for the lecture Matno, points noted. Sitting on the fence and being unbiased is always a more difficult task than many can pull off.

You missed to mention that OP also said:

"thank you, unless we can buy something better, many prefer to pack our own chutes, load our own ammo and make a simple bracket.  it's like having our signatures on our bikes. "

Umm.... I take this as an Insult directed DIRECTLY at me Matno. And in case you have forgotten.

OP bought a HammerHead adapter to see how we solved certain mounting issues, hole spacings etc, in fact, he even stole an image off my website to show his potential customers how they should drill the holes. Plagiarism, we contacted his ISP and they pulled his site for a while!

OP then made his own version of the adapter and tried to market it, this included contacting the outlet that distributes HammerHead. During OP's attempt at marketing the JackRabbit adapter he stated that his adapter was an original design, that HammerHead had copied him, HammerHead was a poor design and that HammerHead was a "car mechainc from sweden".

Little did he know that the Director of the company he was trying to market to and attemping to diss me to, was a good friend of mine and the emails came directly back past me.

Also didn't bother to check my credetials as an engineer, several years of experience at the highest level of motorsport and in the aviation industry. Oooops!

So until then, I will defned my design to the very last, but you are very right, I will not air my views on this public forum, unless provoked.

As a retort to OP and his comment: "unless we can buy something better"

Well... Nick, you can buy something better... To prove a point. You Did.

If anyone else wants one.

Contact RDI who will be happy to sell you one with all the instructions and bolts, drills and thread taps. Or drop OP a line, he an unsed one at home.

Take it easy,

Mike.

www.racing-green.com

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 02:18:58 am »
and a good lesson for all   -    never let the facts get in the way of telling a good story.

an uncredential'd

OP
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 02:20:50 am by Old_Proflexer »

Hammer

• Apprentice
  • Take it Easy
    • HammerHead
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 02:52:24 am »
Is a good story isn't it.... !

I'll probably be telling it for at least another 50 years...