Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:30:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 18
Total: 18
18 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Mega-Air fork question  (Read 3106 times)

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Mega-Air fork question
« on: July 14, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »
I'm cleaning and rebuilding one I bought back in 2001 or so. It's set to 100mm travel. Besides the pitting on stanchions near crown (one reason why boots woulda been nice...LOL) and some wear on the stanchions, it all looks pretty good with some play but I don't know how to replace the bearings. I've opened it up a few times to clean but never able to get the threaded rod guide off (right side of fork) . I wish those weren't hard plastic. I have spanners but it won't budge. Not a big deal.

To make a long story short I have two bottom out bumpers in my hand but the manual only shows one.

Page 7 http://idriders.com/proflex/resources/00_AirForkManual.pdf

What should I do? I think the other bumper should be under the Seal Cap, part #18 on page 7?

For those who don't know - the fork is 'helium' lite. One reason is both chambers are air but it's not as adjustable or as rigid as a crosslink.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: Mega-Air fork question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 04:40:07 pm »
Update:
Rebuilt fork sans bearings.

Epoxied the schrader valves to the stanchion caps took care of slow leak.
Replaced all o'rings. even the itty bitty cartridge valve o-ring. I think this also took care of my son's abuse when he had the fork. "Son, be sure to check the pressure every time you ride. Here's my shock pump. Gee thanks dad! "Son, why are the sliders all black and not extended?"
Dang using the right sized spanner this time enabled me to get into everything.

One other thing I did was to tap the grease ports that failed early on and set in a flush bolt.