Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 05:16:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
30 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Cracks in 855 frame?  (Read 5687 times)

jsngrimm

• Novice
Cracks in 855 frame?
« on: April 01, 2017, 11:20:02 pm »
Just got an 855 frame, and I really hope this isn't a crack  :'( They are where the "seat tube" meets the boxy part that the swingarm bolts onto, they are about as thin as a hair, thinner than a fingernail. Can kind of see the back of this weld through the big triangular cutout in the back of that boxy piece and there does not appear to be anything showing through the back, taking the bike out and jumping/bunny hopping/pedaling hard did not make them any bigger or wider. No other damage of any kind and it does not continue even a quarter of the way down the long weld there at the "seat tube". Is it anything I need to get welded immediately? Or just keep an eye on it?

jsngrimm

• Novice
Re: Cracks in 855 frame?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 11:24:12 pm »
Just to clarify, this is the area, seems like a weird place for a crack to form?

jsngrimm

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:43:35 pm »
Update, oh crap, I can actually see them from the back  :o  But light does not shine through them, and they aren't really even on a weld which is confusing? They don't seem to be getting any bigger or anything, should I just keep an eye on them and see what happens? Sorry for making all the posts, really do not want a broken frame in my future!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 01:42:55 am »
if it is a crack i would imagine it will creak like hell
kiwi proflex rider

jsngrimm

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 12:14:30 am »
if it is a crack i would imagine it will creak like hell

It is a crack and it goes all the way through, but it does not creak at all (even when bouncing around on the bike) and it doesn't seem to be getting any longer/wider. It really has me confused...

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 05:31:05 am »
not sure I would trust it  :(
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 03:02:59 am »
Aluminum doesn't have a repetitive-stress threshold -- if you tap on it with your finger enough times, it will eventually crack and fail. All aluminum bike frames have a finite lifespan because of this.

The fact that light doesn't shine through just means the frame hasn't stretched where the crack is, or the crack goes diagonally through the metal so light can't shine through in a straight line. But it doesn't matter if it doesn't creak or light doesn't shine through, all that matters is the metal is cracked. You either need to find someone who can weld aluminum, or you need to buy a new frame. Those are your only two options that don't involve severe injury.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:04:34 am by fyrstormer »

efxguy

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:19:59 am »
Yeah, that's a crack. My 855 cracked just above that weld. After having a friend that is an aeronautical engineer look at the failure, he stated that is would be just about guaranteed that any aluminum frame of that design would eventually crack in that area due to stress fatigue.

I TIG welded a repair several years ago that seems to be holding up. Though my engineer buddy said that the area needs to be gusseted and weled for a lasting repair.