Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 02:16:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 17
Total: 17
17 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Pro-flex SingleSpeed?  (Read 4972 times)

zulu

• Journeyman
  • I love da dirt!
Pro-flex SingleSpeed?
« on: September 10, 2003, 06:29:34 am »
Is it possible to make a 856 into a Single speed? I have the 856 with full XT, Girvin fork & speed springs on the ODS unit. Any one convert to a SS tell me what's involved and give me a approx. price and any hint's on doing it or gear to buy? Would it be worth it or just keep it as is? It will not be my primary rig but a fun one if converted.
Thanks.  8)
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
2006 S-Works Stumpy.
2005 S-Works Epic
2003 Spec. Stumpy FSR Comp.
Pro-flex 856

Mike_Farris

• Novice
  • I totally AM the Charlie Browniest...
Re: Pro-flex SingleSpeed?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 07:24:04 am »
It's possible to make any bike into a single speed. (Note: you can't do a fixed gear with any bike that has vertical dropouts. A fixed gear will rip apart any chain tensioning device you may try to use.)

Here's a few pages to check out:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/singlespeed.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
http://www.bontrager.com/keith/

Take a look at some of the fixed gear articles on the Harris website as well. Much of the info on converting a bike to fixed gear also translates to a single-speed MTB (adjusting chainline, gearing, etc.)

As for cost, it depends on how much you want to spend. For instance, White Industries has a new hub out that has an eccentric axle... basically, you can use this hub with vertical dropouts and tighten the chain by rotating the wheel back on the eccentric. Incredibly cool, but about $160...  :o

You can get by with much of the stuff you already have on the bike... for instance, you can set up the rear mech on the bike to work as a chain tensioner, take off the big and small chain rings on your crank, and use a cog and the spacers from the cassette currently on the rear wheel to make it into a purpose built SS setup. Very cheap to do it that way. Take a look at the Bontrager webpage for more info on doing it cheap.

If I remember correctly, lotsa folks on this forum have done it to their World Cup bikes with no problem.

And here's a tip: if you use a chain tensioner (because after looking at the options I think you will), do yourself a favor and buy a larger rear cog. You can buy a 18 tooth rear, and pair it up with a 36t chainring to get the magic "2 to 1" ratio that most singlespeeders use. Reason: if you use a tensioner, you will be engaging fewer teeth with the chain than if it wasn't there. Since you only have one gear, when you climb a hill you'll be putting lotsa torque on the cog. If you don't have enough teeth engaging the chain, it will slip, with potentially junk-busting consequences... [smiley=dead.gif]

Hope this helps!

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 07:44:25 am »
See picture of K2 Razorback single speed half way down the page:

http://www.proflex.demon.co.uk/855headtech/index.html

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 09:19:06 am »
i have my orig. Pro~Flex 857 set up that way, now

ftp://http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=carbon_angus

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 07:05:25 pm »
Can anybody explain me the fun of a single speed? I really can't imagine what the use is.

Jeroen.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 01:31:11 am »
i've often wondered as well the same thing - why buy a mountain bike and only put one gear on it -

maybe just a different mindset -

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Mike_Farris

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 02:56:07 am »
Well, here's a few reasons:

-- Riding without constantly shifting gears is kinda fun. You don't have to worry about being in the "right" gear, because you don't have any. If you want to climb that hill, you just have to grind and suffer your way up it... trust me, suffering builds character.  [smiley=evil.gif]

-- A single speed drivetrain is way more efficient than a geared bike. You can actually feel the difference when you ride it.

-- Single speeds are typically lighter, because they don't have as many parts. They're also easier to maintain, for the same reason.

But mostly, it's just fun to do something different sometimes.

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 03:22:23 am »
Mike,

you can use the same reasons to buy and ride a rigid bike! So I suppose it's even better to ride a rigid single speed bike, like our grandpa used to do!

I suppose it's a back-to-the-roots thing...

Jeroen.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 06:41:19 am »
for starters, I had my 857 (frame only) on the garage wall, needed something to do with it...

already had a FS mtn bike, a rigid mtn bike, a road bike, a hardtail....

i get bored, i like variety and being different...in everything I suppose.

i admire the forward and retro "doers"

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 08:14:42 am »
SS's are a great change of pace, especially if you're tired of the same old grind.  I run slightly less than 2/1 at 32 x 18 or 19.  At almost 40 and 6'6" 205, I just can't push any bigger gear on the climbs.  Still, it's fun to push yourself...

Check out my Bontrager SS in my gallery.
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 08:23:34 am »
SS's are a great change of pace, especially if you're tired of the same old grind.  I run slightly less than 2/1 at 32 x 18 or 19.  At almost 40 and 6'6" 205, I just can't push any bigger gear on the climbs.  Still, it's fun to push yourself...

Check out my Bontrager SS in my gallery.

are those longer (>175) cranks???
nice looking bike.. a blast to ride, too!

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 09:14:51 am »
anyone who has ever had his xtr rear der mangle itself in the rear wheel should be able to appreciate SS ! I like the simplicity and would probably try and get one without any suspension but set up like a big bmx,or maybe i'll just keep borrowing my son's.

Mike_Farris

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2003, 01:45:23 am »
Mike,

you can use the same reasons to buy and ride a rigid bike! So I suppose it's even better to ride a rigid single speed bike, like our grandpa used to do!

Actually, the SS that I'm trying to finish building is a Bianchi BUSS, with a rigid fork. I had a S-Works geared bike set up as a rigid, but I figured that I could only handle so much punishment and sold the S-Works off.

My first one was a Gary Fisher that I had initially used as a city bike, and I later converted it over to single on the cheap. That bike totally rode like a big kid's BMX, so I'm setting up the BUSS in much the same fashion.

Right now, with not too many more bits to add, I figure the BUSS weighs in at around 20 lbs. I figure that when it's done, it will weigh in at around 21 lbs. The damn thing feels almost road bike light...  [smiley=evil.gif]

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 02:39:25 am »
Yup, the cranks are old school 180mm XT
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 05:36:41 am »
Personally, I like the simplicity of it. Plus, it's helping me get more used to high-rev pedalling (and making me stronger to boot!) I built this earlier this summer:

It's got a 24 inch wheel with a 2.5 Highroller tire in the back to offset the fork (the bike was designed with a 125mm travel fork in mind). I can get some pretty big air off curbs with it... the fork really throws you (instead of sucking the impact up, I suppose)