Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 10:28:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
60 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: K2 EVO vs Trek Liquid  (Read 2433 times)

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
K2 EVO vs Trek Liquid
« on: September 07, 2003, 02:35:34 pm »
Just went on my first "real" MTB ride in a while (too long), and took along a friend with a brand new Trek Liquid 10. Not top of the line, but decently spec'd with RockShox Psylo C fork (125mm travel) and Fox Talas R rear air shock (up to 5" of rear wheel travel). I was surprised initially that it was heavier than my bike, which I estimate to weigh about 29lbs (was 27 before the switch to disc brakes and wheels). Once on the trail, we switched rides for a while, and I was really surprised at the difference in feel. While the Liquid felt more "solid" to me (I think that translates to lateral rigidity), the EVO, with Helix Pro rear and X-vert fork, was absolutely smoother. Both of us agreed that the EVO was a much better ride, and I even had a hard time getting him to switch back after 20 minutes or so!

This is limited, anecdotal evidence, I know, but suffice it to say that the Liquid was a bike that I've been coveting since it came out. Not any more... 8)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: K2 EVO vs Trek Liquid
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 03:27:15 pm »
right on point with what i've been saying for quite some time -

newer technology is not necessarily an improvement, just different.  hard to improve on the monopivot design with the latest in shock techology - even with an nr- they still hard to beat - including the weight factor.

- hey, did you ever heal up to be fully functional?

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 04:00:50 pm »
i rode one quite a-ways back and found it very rigid but couldn't really "find" the travel. It had a Fox 125 Vanilla on it and that was sweet, though.

i think if it was dialed in for me i'd like it, but then i still ride my Pro~Flex/k2's with Noleen...so go figure

jimbo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 05:25:15 pm »
Mountain Bike Magazine dittos your review:

http://www.mountainbike.com/bikes/0403_trekliquid30.shtml

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2003, 12:11:31 am »
hey, did you ever heal up to be fully functional?

OP

If you're referring to my hand, then yes, I'm fully functonal and pain free. Modern medicine is amazing. Unfortunately, I didnt' even get much of a scar... ;)
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 01:46:24 am »
Price: $3,080 (30); $1,870 (Liquid 10); $2,200 (Liquid 20);
$1,650 (frame only)
Weight: 31 lbs.

thought this was worth noting for those who are looking to buy new as opposed to upgrading their evo -

OP

(yes, just curious about your wrist, was wondering if you ever made it back to 100%)

« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 01:47:44 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 04:30:58 am »
My riding buddy uses a trek 20. I agree 100% with the above opinions: the trek feels more solid, but is less compliant, does not absorb bumps as much, feels like it has much less travel. May be due to the air shock.