Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 08:28:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 14
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
49 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Steerer Tube Length  (Read 3134 times)

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
    • My OLD Proflex Gallerey
Steerer Tube Length
« on: September 05, 2003, 05:37:57 am »
I know this has been asked b4, but Im trying to get a fork for the OZ and I came across a slightly used TALAS RLC. The steerer has been cut to 195mm (7-3/4") and Im wondering if that is too short to work w/ the carbon headtube+stem. My stem is a Titec BigAL and is about 55mm tall, and i just measured from the bottome of the headset to above where the top of the stem would be if the upper crosslink crown were not there, and came up with something like 210mm, which is closer to 8.something inches.

I tried looking in the HowTo's and files but didnt see any guides on this.

Much thanks,
-Ivan
'99 OZm | Fox Vanilla 125RLC and 8.5" RC Shock. XT Mega-9, Titec, Easton EA70, ODI w/ Oury's  
23 - Bay Area, Ca. (If youre local, LETS RIDE!)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
Re: Steerer Tube Length
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 06:05:06 am »
Sorry sounds about 10 to 13 mm to short, doubt if you could get a low enough stack headset to compensate, can you get a replacement steerer? haven't had much to do with fox forx's, I run approx 215mm steerer tube on my sid forks with 50mm stem height on my Oz, this allows me to have room for 15mm of spacers under the stem so I have the option of altering my stem height by repositioning the spacers also more chance of being able to transfer the forks to other frames.Simon
« Last Edit: September 05, 2003, 10:22:38 pm by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Ivan

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 07:13:44 am »
Well thats a bummer Simon  :( but I thank you for the reply. I realized 1/2 way thru posting I could go down to the garage and take a rough estimate w/ a ruler. I have the FSA Orbit Aheadset which is probably standard and there are two spacers there between the headset and the upper xlink crown. I had an LBS build the bike for me, so I never had to figure this stuff out. I will keep looking either for new forks or one that has at least 215mm steerer, but that may be kinda hard.

I dont think steerers are replacable but im not 100% sure, wouldnt make much sense when I can find a new ver of the same fork for about $450. If anyone has other reccomendations on forks (in the 4-5" travel range) Im all ears, and any install/removal tips would rock too!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 02:28:17 pm »
i am sure you are aware that the xlink requires a much longer steerer tham most forks and you dont have to run any spacers..it will feel a bit low at first after the xlink..........
kiwi proflex rider

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 10:28:21 pm »
Still won't fit with out spacers and if the stem height was reduced by 5mm it still wouldn't fit [smiley=disbelief.gif]
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 09:31:25 am »
Well, its a great deal on an 03 RLC if he does agree to $350 since they got for over $500 most places and Ive found em for abaout $425 new. I know the steerer is too short (195mm) but does anyone know if they can be replaced on the Foxes? Im about to call up the company and see what they say.

If so is it even worth my time/effort cause its going to cost some to get the uncut steerer and more to get it installed (unless i can do it)

Im going to keep looking for another fork tho. Has anyone seen a Zocchi Z1.fr on an Oz, or think it would be too much fork? its only disk so im talking wheel and brake upgrade right off the bat.

http://marketplace.consumerreview.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=58586&query=retrieval
-Ivan
'99 OZm | Fox Vanilla 125RLC and 8.5" RC Shock. XT Mega-9, Titec, Easton EA70, ODI w/ Oury's  

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 10:39:52 am »
If you can get a new one for $425 you'd be better off paying the extra $75 over the s/hand one, the steerer will fit and you will have a warranty back up, thats just the way I'd go.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 05:21:11 am »
So I found an 02 RLC for $350 and the guy is going to sell to me, its steerer is cut to 203.5mm(8") and I really think itll work if i dont use spacers (its just under 8" for bottom-top of headset+the stem. However I realized this is going to drop down my handlebar height quite a bit since I wont have any upper "crown" ... however a fork capable of running 125mm will bring the front of the bike up substansially.

Bottomline is i need to get a fork I can depend on, and this baby was just tuned up ... my smarty shock is leaking oil like a harley.  :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2003, 05:40:30 am by k2ozm99 »
-Ivan

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 06:31:58 am »
Sounds a great deal but your still pushing it a little bit for steerer tube length, if you can fit a stem that is 5mm shallower you should then be ok, its generally excepted that the top of the steerer should be around 3 to 4mm below the top of the stem with the bearings correctly preloaded, looks like your heading for around 6.5mm.Simon [smiley=blankstare.gif]

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 06:02:07 am »
Well ill know when i mount it up Simon, I had to jump on that deal ... wether or not it fits I can sell it for the same price no prob and only loose out on shipping. Right after paying for the used one, i saw a new RLC on MTBR for $400, but it was too late at that point.

Im not particularly attached to my Titec BigAl stem, which seems to be to be a little taller in height then most. I have a feeling that once i get a fork on there that brings my bars closer to me (minus all the old xlink stuff), I may not need the same amount of rise/length I have now. If its anymore than 4mm when all is said and done Ill explore my options ... info is appreciated! Any special tools ill need to dismount the xlink and install the fox ... allen set, scredrivers, patience ?

I guess the next question is, would anyone be interested in my Xlink (smarty needs seals)? Its in good shape and came from eDiscountbike.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 06:05:26 am by k2ozm99 »
-Ivan

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 07:05:25 am »
Set of allen keys 6,8mm etc,soft mallet, suitable diameter tube to reinstall headset lower bearing race,thin punch to remove bearing race from old fork, its a relativly easy task especially as the steerer tube doesn't require cutting to size and should have a sfn already fitted in the steerer tube,if in doubt get lbs to fit it.Simon  [smiley=nod.gif]

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 07:25:42 am »
why can't you just get a new steerer tube? i sure would for that fork
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 07:26:18 am by carbon_angus »

K2ozm99

• Novice
  • Thermoplastic CF Baby!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2003, 05:06:10 am »
Yeah, great idea Angus but it costs about $60-70 for FOX to do that, i already emailed them and they dont send out steerers (perhaps an lbs would do it but I dont have any hookups). Anyway, so tag $70 onto my already used $350 RLC and I might as well grab a new one if it doesnt fit ... had I known they were this cheap from this site, i wouldnt have bothered with the one I bought on MTBR.

Look at his pricing! http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/Specials.htm
-Ivan

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2003, 06:51:21 am »
Gotcha!
[smiley=beer.gif]