Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 12:15:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 31
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: rims  (Read 2450 times)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
rims
« on: September 01, 2003, 09:37:54 am »
A truck ran over both my Evo's wheels yesterday totalling the rims so I am shopping around for replacements and would appreciate any opinions. I will probably get a wheelset as I need a disc hub and maybe spokes. I was using Bontrager Mustangs which i liked cos they are a good strength/wt/price. I'm looking for something similar, maybe a bit burlier but not a whole heap heavier. I have seen some great deals on sun rhyno lites/xt disc and might go for those----any opinions? I will be going disc f+r but like the idea of being able to use rim brakes on the same wheels in case i switch between bikes or break the disc brakes and can't get parts in a hurry[ which is always a problem for me] I will probably try and get a pair of mustang rims and reuse the hubs/spokes also.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: rims
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 11:01:54 am »
I just did a bit of research and found some great deals so can   get more specific with my questions

what is the advantage of a disc specific rim over a rim with sidewalls, other than that they look so daddy. weight, strength, what? I am looking at rhyno lites vs sun singletrack for cdn$ 20 more.

anyone have opinions re the mavic F219 rims? the price is comparable but they don't seem to be marketed as a rim that is as durable as the rhyno

how much of a deal is it whether a wheel is handbuilt or machine built? it seems i can save $$$$ by going for a basic robot wheel and then get it hand tensioned after it gets to Jamaica

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 02:50:39 pm »
 I had a Rhynolite/ Deore wheelset and had a hell of a time changing tires. I wanted a wider wheelset 27mm vs 31mm so I went w the Singletrack XT combo ($140 US @ Universal cycles) Much easier to change tires. 219's are apples to apples w/ the Singletracks. Handbuilt is supposed to be the way to go but either way both need re-tensioning.

Gordo

• Novice
  • Don't make fun of the stripes
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 04:42:15 pm »
Go with the rhyno lites they are great rims. Very strong and they are lite enough for most perposes. I have had several sets and they all have lasted a long time.
98 Animal

Rawwill

• Novice
  • proflex 997 DH
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 03:20:37 am »
i have a mavic 321 wheelset(disc specific)

okay there`s an offer in pricepoint.com now.
shimano XT wheelset with mavic 517 for $169
Shimano XT wheelset withrhyno llite 32h for $129
Shimano XT disc with rhyno lite 32h $159
XT disc wheelset with rhyno lite $119

machine buit wheelset..
go check it out...pretty cheap  for pretty decent wheelsets...:)
hope this helps..
JMSRW

slowride

• Journeyman
  • Mmmmm... dirt!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 06:44:32 am »
OK, here's an offer for you....

I have a set of Velocity Deep V rims. They are used, but they are beefy enough for disc brake use and still have the rim braking track. They are red, too.

If you have hubs already, I would build these up for you for, say, $50 plus shipping for straight gauge spokes, $65 for double butted (using your old hubs). If you need hubs, I can get Shimano XT Disc hubs for $27 front, $36 rear.

I'm not an expert wheelbuilder, but I've been riding my own wheels for a couple years now, and I haven't broken spokes or had to true them yet.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2003, 02:36:02 am »
I run Deep V's on my Evo and they are incredibly stiff and almost maintenance free.
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Phillip

• Journeyman
  • lead, follow or ...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2003, 10:31:10 pm »
Numbnuts,
The Sun Rhyno Lite is a great wheel if you need it. If not, you will be adding 150 grams of rotational weight per wheel. I have heard  good things about the Mustangs and would not hesitate to buy them myself.