Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:32:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 15
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13
13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: New owner of a Proflex  (Read 5073 times)

tmc482

• Novice
  • twitter.com/timcooper82
New owner of a Proflex
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »
Always drooled over Proflex when I used to race some XC in the late 90's. After searching for a small frame which seem harder to find I picked up a 956 a few weeks ago.  ;D
  Seems in good condition, few chips etc but the carbon swingarm looks unmarked. It was a bare frame, so stripped my other bike, (a rigid Salsa Moto Rapido) to build it up. A friend sold me some Rockshox Sid SL's & Ritchey ISIS chainset for a great price & after ordering a couple of new parts it's finally together & had a gentle ride out today locally to get a feel for it.
All seems pretty good, the rear shock would definately benefit from being replaced for an air unit for dampening but other than that I'm really pleased!
Spec is:
Matt blue? 956 frame, Sid SL forks, Ritchey headset, Easton ea90 bars & stem. Mavic Crossmax ceramic wheels. XTR v's, Avid sd1.9 levers. Ritchey pro chainset, Gusset Trident BB, Sram 9.0sl shifters, XO rear mech, xtr front. Profile carbon post. WTB saddle.
Weighed in at 24.8lbs which I'm very happy with!

Any suggestions as to rear shock replacements I'd be interested to hear. I'm not sure on the frame size, (I'm 5ft 7" & it's a great fit for me.) but i'm vaguely aware that some shocks aren't compatible with the smaller frame sizes?

Any help, advice, comments etc, most appreciated.

Regards,
      Tim
Proflex 956 (size S)
Salsa Moto Rapido (16")
Porsche Boxster S
VW Golf v6 4motion
VW Caddy

Willie_B

• Master
  • Not old enough to stop playing with toys.
Re: New owner of a Proflex
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:40 pm »
Welcome aboard. Be careful  as it is hard to own just one Proflex. Before you know it you will be looking for another or one will just fall in your lap.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

beeeerock

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 03:36:13 pm »
An 856 has an aluminum swing arm, right?  Would a 956 have a carbon fibre arm, or does the carbon fibre mean it might be newer than that?
Nothing is foolproof for a sufficiently talented fool.

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:36:30 am »
Welcome Tim!
Sounds a great build! Let's see some piccies!

I see you're in the UK, there's quite a few of us on this side of the pond, so you're in good company.

It'd be interseting to see if it really is a Small, as they are VERY small, even for someone 5' 7", I'm just 5' 8" and I ride a Medium.
The easy way to discriminate a Small is that the upper shock mount pivot bolt is in the top tube, not in the Bracing piece between the top tube and seat tube.

Yes Beeeerock, 956's had a carbon swing-arm as they were an early incarnation of the x57 frame and were indeed often called the "World Cup" frame as they were (I believe) ridden professionally for that purpose.
But..........they were plain aluminium/silver finish, so if you have a "Matt Blue" (Grape?) one then that sounds a bit odd, But..... I have seen another blue 956 and that was definately a small and had "World Cup Design" on it and looked original.

P.s. I have just picked up a 957 frame on eBay and am expecting delivery any day! Oh dear the sickness is still with me!
I'm not sure of it's size, so maybe it'll be a medium and suitable for the Mrs.............

Off on my Hols now, off to Burma for 3 weeks, do you reckon I'll see any PRO~FLEX's out there? (I did in Malaysia!)

Good Luck!
Col.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 03:53:46 am by Colin »
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

beeeerock

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:28 am »
Ah, I wondered if being the top model it might have had some features/enhancements earlier than the other models.  Another bit of trivia... (see, I'm paying attention!  ;D )

I knew that Burma was becoming a little more open, but I didn't realize it was a travel destination... sounds very interesting and perhaps a little bit exciting (although hopefully not TOO exciting!).  I envy you that trip!  I hope you're a photo enthusiast and able to make the most of it!

I rather doubt you'll see a bike with even a rear suspension, but who knows... I wouldn't have expected there would be Proflex bikes in Malaysia!

tmc482

• Novice
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:54 am »
Thanks for the positive commments & the 'info Colin! I think mine is a small as it definately bolts though the tube. It's a bit of a pain as I was hoping to change the shock, this is probably going to be impossible to fit a dampened rebound shock to make it less like a pogo stick!
Beeeerock it does have the carbon swing arm. I've no idea if this was original, or if it's an older model re-stickered to make it look newer & fitted with a newer arm. It rides & looks pretty good though which is what counts!

Have a great time away!

Link, (hopefully) to a few pictures. Comments welcome!

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/tmc482/library/Proflex
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:52:28 am by tmc482 »
Proflex 956 (size S)
Salsa Moto Rapido (16")
Porsche Boxster S
VW Golf v6 4motion
VW Caddy

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:06:00 am »
aha that's where it went! This is the frame that caferacer51 purchased and then decided it was to small for him and kept his larger frame. That didn't fall far from the pro-flex tree  :)
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:34:07 am »
Looks like you already have a Noleen shock on there.  Am pretty sure you can upgrade to a double adjustable Noleen.
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

caferacer51

• Novice
  • Newbie looking for help...
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »
It's a small world!
I hope the packaging was ok? I'd never posted a frame before?!
It's already looking hot on those rims...

beeeerock

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:11 am »
Beeeerock it does have the carbon swing arm. I've no idea if this was original, or if it's an older model re-stickered to make it look newer & fitted with a newer arm. It rides & looks pretty good though which is what counts!
As was clarified above, the carbon fibre arm became the standard design in '97, a year after yours.  It sounds like the the 900 level bike was built with the cutting edge technology, since yours got the carbon fibre a year earlier... the lower spec '96 bikes would presumably have had the aluminum swing arm with the pivot point behind the crank.  I was guessing your bike was mislabeled a year too early!  I believe there was only the carbon fibre arm made for the pivot position you (and I) have - ahead of the crank.

Having gone through the learning curve triggered by asking on this forum what my sandblasted bike actually is (no decals!), I'm still learning these details!  ::)  The knowledge base here is excellent!

tmc482

• Novice
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 02:28:08 pm »
It's a small world!
I hope the packaging was ok? I'd never posted a frame before?!
It's already looking hot on those rims...

It arrived in great condition thankyou! I've been able to give it a quick run since it's build but will hope to get out between christmas & new year & tweak the set-up to my liking.

Looks like you already have a Noleen shock on there.  Am pretty sure you can upgrade to a double adjustable Noleen.

Double adjustable Noleen? Sounds intriguing! Does anyone have a picture of one so I can keep my eye open for one?
Proflex 956 (size S)
Salsa Moto Rapido (16")
Porsche Boxster S
VW Golf v6 4motion
VW Caddy

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:51:40 pm »
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)