Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:21:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 50
Total: 50
50 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Noleen shock stichioness  (Read 6473 times)

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
Noleen shock stichioness
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:05:03 am »
Hi all.

In my latest ride (around town, truth must be said...), I noticed my CF crosslink had a little stichion on it. If I break while stopped and try to move forward, I can clearly note the stichion steps for the fork to compress.
At home, I took the shock off and the movement of the fork is flawless. No stichion or play.

It's the shock. I don't know if the rubber seal is dry, as I've never seen any oil in the shaft or any ois spilling out of the shock.
Rebound damping adjuster works fine (if moved to the minimum, the shock compresses and extends by itself, to the max and I have to make considerable force to get it to the extended position).
However, there is always that stichioness and not the plush movement at the start/end of the movement.

I've put some tri flow oil I had around the shaft (I use that on the shafts of my RC helis, only metal to metal contact), but I've cleaned it since it appears to be a petroleum based oil and I'm afraid it will damage the rubber seal.
I've put some silicone based shock oil I have from my old RC car shocks instead.

Is there a way to get rid of this?
Proflex '97 Animal with Carbon Swingarm & Crosslink Carbon fork
K2 1000 frame, Carbon Swingarm,Crosslink Carbon CS being worked to be a 957
Yeti ASR 5

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Noleen shock stichioness
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:11:50 pm »
From what I remember, the shock is charge with nitrogen. So if you remove the spring, compress the shock, it will extend without you pulling on the shaft at all. Does it do this?

Sounds like it needs a rebuild to me though.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:59:28 pm »
It will extend by itself if the rebound adjuster is on the minimum position to 1/3 - 1/2 way. If I try to slow the rebound, it doesn't. I have to extend it by myself.

Rebuilding this is expensive (on the J6 site) and I can't get hold of a rebuild kit without paying outrageous shipping costs from  US (I needed one for my rear NR4).

I almost could fit a Swinger3 in the front though (amost fits)...  ;D
Yeti ASR 5

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:43:41 pm »
I have the same with the front shock on my 857. My shock looks like new but sticks if left for a while. I too have have put this down to it needing a gas recharge. As long as the shock is in good order and not leaking oil I dont see why you couldnt try just re-gasing it before you think about a full rebuild.

I have bought the tool for gas charging Noleen shocks but havent enquired as to how much charge they need yet? Anyone know?
Its a simple process of incerting a needle with pressure gauge attached to it into the gas port on the shock and then pressurising it to the required level. Its got to be worth a try , considering the cost of a rebuild from Noleenj6. I cant get hold of nitrogen but was going to try desicated compressed air instead as I use this in work. If it works it works and if it doesnt, nothing lost I'll just get it rebuilt. I have another front shock that has lost its oil and I actually prefer it. Its very soft and plush with no sticktion!

Funny thing is I have new Risse genesis and Astro 5 shocks and they stick worse than the worn out Noleen! They are convenient for the cone fit but make the ride harsh and much to firm. So far Im not a total fan of air shocks due to the sticktion and much prefer the smoothness of a coil over shock. I know weight is an issue for some but I feel the ride quality of coil springs is much better. Its worth trying to save your Noleen shocks! to be fair I havent tried anything like a Fox to compare so maybe they are better.

TDIfurby who did a thread on rebuilding his 957 recently had his NR4 rebuilt by a local car/motorcycle race shop who deal in Ohlins suspension. The full thread is on Retro Bike. I dont know whether they suplied the seal kit as well but it cost him £80. Last time I looked Noleenj6 charged about $100 so its about right. I read somewhere that Noleen recommended Ohlins to service their shocks so have a look locally for a quality suspension workshop. Motorcycle race shops are your best bet.

Chris
856's
OZx modern build
no room in big shed but always room for one more!

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:50:59 am »
I have the same with the front shock on my 857. My shock looks like new but sticks if left for a while. I too have have put this down to it needing a gas recharge. As long as the shock is in good order and not leaking oil I dont see why you couldnt try just re-gasing it before you think about a full rebuild.

I have bought the tool for gas charging Noleen shocks but havent enquired as to how much charge they need yet? Anyone know?
Its a simple process of incerting a needle with pressure gauge attached to it into the gas port on the shock and then pressurising it to the required level. Its got to be worth a try , considering the cost of a rebuild from Noleenj6. I cant get hold of nitrogen but was going to try desicated compressed air instead as I use this in work. If it works it works and if it doesnt, nothing lost I'll just get it rebuilt. I have another front shock that has lost its oil and I actually prefer it. Its very soft and plush with no sticktion!

Funny thing is I have new Risse genesis and Astro 5 shocks and they stick worse than the worn out Noleen! They are convenient for the cone fit but make the ride harsh and much to firm. So far Im not a total fan of air shocks due to the sticktion and much prefer the smoothness of a coil over shock. I know weight is an issue for some but I feel the ride quality of coil springs is much better. Its worth trying to save your Noleen shocks! to be fair I havent tried anything like a Fox to compare so maybe they are better.

TDIfurby who did a thread on rebuilding his 957 recently had his NR4 rebuilt by a local car/motorcycle race shop who deal in Ohlins suspension. The full thread is on Retro Bike. I dont know whether they suplied the seal kit as well but it cost him £80. Last time I looked Noleenj6 charged about $100 so its about right. I read somewhere that Noleen recommended Ohlins to service their shocks so have a look locally for a quality suspension workshop. Motorcycle race shops are your best bet.

Chris

It seems strange that the gas charge makes the shock stick. It looks more like a very tight seal than anything else, because i can feel it sticking in the compression travel. just brake, move the bike to the front and I feel and hear the shock (again, like a tight seal).
It doesn't stick in the rebound, but in the compression stage (well, it doesn't "stick" at all, just isn't so plush as it used to be). In fact, I can't feel anything in the rebound.
I've put some silicon oil on the shaft and seal (grade 400) and left the shock upside dow for two days to see if it would soften the whole thing, but it doesn't.
However, it seems better on the rebound, as it just doesn't come to the initial position on the last turn of the rebound adjuster.
As for the rebuild, what I really wanted is to rebuild my NR4 shock. I didn't make the adaptor for an air shock yet, so I didn't tried it, but if it doesn't work, I will rebuild the NR4 at J6, as it lost all oil.
Luckily I had a new NR1 from a new K2 1000 frame I have laying around, and it's working very well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:56:54 am by whisperdancer »
Yeti ASR 5

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:35:09 pm »
Yep thats just what my shock does. I cant explain why but Ive been told its due to the gas.

Chris
856's
OZx modern build

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:13:11 pm »
What should the correct gas pressure be inside the shock?
Yeti ASR 5

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »
I dont know yet but Im making enquiries. Anyone else out there know?

Chris
856's
OZx modern build

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:12:11 am »

Chris
lots
kiwi proflex rider

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
Yeti ASR 5

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 02:47:20 pm »

Chris
lots

;D
856's
OZx modern build

Spokes

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 03:02:25 pm »
8 to 12 bar

Source: http://idriders.com/proflex/files/Service%20instructions%20for%20a%20Noleen%20NR2%20damper.doc

Good find!

That doesnt seem to hard at all. The only thing stopping me stripping one of these shocks down was not knowing how to get the end cap off but now I know how I shall have a go of rebuilding one of my leaking shocks. I'll order a rebuild kit this week. I picked up a bottle of air yesterday so i'll also have a go at checking and refilling the sticky NR2 I have to see if it makes a difference. This should be interessting.

Chris
856's
OZx modern build

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:55:59 am »
8 to 12 bar

Source: http://idriders.com/proflex/files/Service%20instructions%20for%20a%20Noleen%20NR2%20damper.doc

Good find!

That doesnt seem to hard at all. The only thing stopping me stripping one of these shocks down was not knowing how to get the end cap off but now I know how I shall have a go of rebuilding one of my leaking shocks. I'll order a rebuild kit this week. I picked up a bottle of air yesterday so i'll also have a go at checking and refilling the sticky NR2 I have to see if it makes a difference. This should be interessting.

Chris

i thinks its supposed to be nitrogen,but there is a lot of that in air.......
kiwi proflex rider

whisperdancer

• Master
  • Unusual 957...
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:29:59 am »
The difference is the shock will perform differently when it heats up, as the pressure will rise using air.
Yeti ASR 5

jimbob

• Apprentice
  • Proflex Professional
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:50 am »
The difference is the shock will perform differently when it heats up, as the pressure will rise using air.

How hot do you think the shock will get on your usual cross-country jaunt? I'd wager not particularly hot. Air should be ok but it's the moisture content in air that may be an issue.
I'm sure I remember seeing a thread on Retrobike where someone fitted an adapter to their Noleen shock that allowed the use of a conventional shock pump?
1988 Stumpjumper Team
1992 Kirk Revolution
1993 Orange Prestige
1997 Proflex 857