Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 06:27:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 29
Total: 29
29 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Proflex 855 rear shock problems  (Read 4503 times)

jschwepp

• Novice
Proflex 855 rear shock problems
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:33 pm »
I recently acquired a disused proflex 855.  This bike had sat in my grandfather's garage for quite some time and when he was cleaning out his garage he gave it to me to see if I could use it.  I brought it home and the elastomer on the rear shock melted into a gelatinous mess. :-[ Here is a flicker set of the mess and what is left of the shock after I removed it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64310078@N05/sets/72157626893908639/

I am wondering what my options are on replacing it.  I would like to go to an air or spring based shock.  There are some noleen shocks on ebay such as http://cgi.ebay.com/NOLEEN-MEGA-AIR-K2-Rear-Air-Shock-Spring-Mountain-Bike-/130535970731?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e648cd7ab

Would it be possible to use something like that? ???

Also what is the best cleaner to get rid of the goop?  Some of it got on my car seat.  :-[

Thanks.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: Proflex 855 rear shock problems
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:06 am »
I recently acquired a disused proflex 855.  This bike had sat in my grandfather's garage for quite some time and when he was cleaning out his garage he gave it to me to see if I could use it.  I brought it home and the elastomer on the rear shock melted into a gelatinous mess. :-[ Here is a flicker set of the mess and what is left of the shock after I removed it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64310078@N05/sets/72157626893908639/

I am wondering what my options are on replacing it.  I would like to go to an air or spring based shock.  There are some noleen shocks on ebay such as http://cgi.ebay.com/NOLEEN-MEGA-AIR-K2-Rear-Air-Shock-Spring-Mountain-Bike-/130535970731?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e648cd7ab

Would it be possible to use something like that? ???

Also what is the best cleaner to get rid of the goop?  Some of it got on my car seat.  :-[

Thanks.

that particular shock is not a plug n play for the 855.Its not very helpful when they say that particular pic may not represent the shock you are buyng.
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:11:57 am »
Risse Racing makes a great airshock for your bike. The Genesis model is $199.

SuspensionForkparts.com makes replacement elastomers for less money.

From experience, the Risse Genesis shock for the rear is a great upgrade.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:39 am »
Noleen J6 may have something that will fit your bike. Is the lower mount on the shock shaped like a cone or a stepped cylinder?

jschwepp

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:38:50 am »
It would be preferable to have a picture of the actual shock, but I think what they mean is that they are all in comparable condition and they couldn't take time to photograph each shock in the lot.

The Risse Racing looks to be a great shock, thought I don't know if I'm ready to spend that much.  Though I'm pretty put off on elastomer shocks after dealing with the mess.  I don't think I'm going to be getting replacement inserts.  I've seen some adapter setups on the forums, is there a link to any guides.

The bottom part is a flat cylinder with a rod to hold the elastomers on.

-Justin

w2zero

• Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »
That strut is only intended to accept elastomers but I did put an ods and spring on there and rode it that way for several years.  The replacement elastomers won't melt like those did. 
856 Beast 1
856 Beast 2
856 Animal (small)
856 frame set
Bianchi 748 fix
Hiep Duc 69
Pro Patria

jschwepp

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:01 pm »
Hmmm... Alright so if the strut is only designed to accept elastomers, does the Risse Racing upgrade include a different strut?  Is there anywhere to purchase a strut that will accept different shocks?  I know rapid decent used to make spring upgrades http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_printable&PAGE_id=6&lay_quiet=1  But they have closed up shop, is there any comparable spring upgrade that is still around?

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »
Hmmm... Alright so if the strut is only designed to accept elastomers, does the Risse Racing upgrade include a different strut?  Is there anywhere to purchase a strut that will accept different shocks?  I know rapid decent used to make spring upgrades http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_printable&PAGE_id=6&lay_quiet=1  But they have closed up shop, is there any comparable spring upgrade that is still around?
The Risse comes with an adapter call a "Freedom Plate".
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

jschwepp

• Novice
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 06:17:11 pm »
The Risse comes with an adapter call a "Freedom Plate".

I thought the 856 was the one that needed the "freedom plate".  At least that's what it seems like here:
http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php?topic=935.0;wap2

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:24:02 am »
this is something i have actually asked risse,but it has never been resolved.
This is my take on it;
the x55 bikes have a flat area on the strut tio which the risse shock can mate well.
The x56 bikes have the cone so risse made the freedom plate which is basically a flat washer to blank of the cone indentation in the strut.
The x57 bikes use a risse shock with a "coned" end.I think this coned end could be used on the x56 bikes but i have NEVER been able to find out if the cone on the x57 bikes is x56 compatible...in my opinion this is how it should be done.Dont order an x56 shock and freedom platye,usa x57 shock instead(IF the cone is the same)
kiwi proflex rider

02gf74

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:58 am »
Risse Racing makes a great airshock for your bike. The Genesis model is $199.

I was looking at these but they seem to be availalbe only in US, so with import duty and VAT it ends up being quite expensive - £ 250 +

So I looked into using a readily available shock (e.g. Fox Float of whcih I had 2 on a Whyte PRST-1) and having an adapter made up.

The Fox shocks can be bought on ebay for £ 25 to £ 50+ so it works out cheaper..... ofcourse there is the problem of the adapter but I know a man who made one up for me for a reasonable amount of money. (£ 35) plus he challenge of seeing if it can be done. :)

fyrstormer

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »
The x57 bikes use a risse shock with a "coned" end.I think this coned end could be used on the x56 bikes but i have NEVER been able to find out if the cone on the x57 bikes is x56 compatible...in my opinion this is how it should be done.
The cone is the same. I've swapped shocks between my 756 and 857 and they work fine in both applications.