Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 08:13:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 34
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: proud owner of a new 4500  (Read 2099 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
proud owner of a new 4500
« on: July 18, 2003, 10:50:09 am »
I asked the members of this forum a few days ago about the K2 4500 and everyone said it was between a great bike and the best mountain bike ever made.

earlier today I bought that bike. The frame looks brand new. he only rode it for 6 months. it is a frame, the front forks and shock, the back shock, the swingarm, the entire brake system, the headset, the Titec seat post, and the stem. that is it nothing more. I paid him $230. all the parts on this thing look almost brand new.

I not sure what I will do at this point. at first I thought I would just buy one new piece at a time, and slowly build this up with the best of everything it needs including tubeless rims and hydrualic disk brakes. but that would take a long time. it would cost me about $200 a month in parts for 5 months.

but now I think I will just put in a new XT bottom bracket and XT Hollowtech crankset, and then move all the parts from my K2 5000 over to the new carbon fiber 4500 frame. this would include my Marzocchi Bomber fork and stratos Helix expert rear shock. then move the forks and shock from the 4500 over to the 5000 and relegate that bike to being my 'second" bike. I will just put LX level parts on the second bike where needed. or as I upgrade the parts on my new 4500  I can put the old parts back onto the 5000.

does this sound like a good plan?

I am asking, because I bought this frame because I learned here on this forum that this is a great frame and one that I should not pass up the opportunity of riding/owning.

-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

Rawwill

• Novice
  • proflex 997 DH
Re: proud owner of a new 4500
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 11:59:15 am »
Hayes HFX Comp Disc Brakeset (Fr & Rr)  
Price:  $174.97 (supergo.com)
Grimeca Magnesium Disc Tri-Spoke Wheelset(Fr&Rr)Tubless and disc ready** some ppl don`t like it...but it works fine for XC
Price: $399.00(Cambriabike.com)

you might have a look at Sram gear set too before you start purchasing...you might not need to spent 1000 bucks ... unless if you want too..haha

JMSRW

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: proud owner of a new 4500
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 01:03:08 pm »
that's what i'd do -

very, very good price and wise decision on component move - you'll need to relook at the head sets and bearings and maybe move them or just leave the races/bearings with the frame and fork (popping the race off the forks and swapping them).

OP

(p.s. - i.m.h.o. - you stole it)
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -