Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 12:10:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 51
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
22 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Armstrong off road!  (Read 9060 times)

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
Armstrong off road!
« on: July 14, 2003, 11:40:09 pm »
Don't know about other countries, but here in Holland we follow the Tour de France intensively. And in yestarday's stage Beloki was speeding just in front of Armstrong when he fell down seriously: broke several bones. Armstrong could do nothing else but going off road. He shortcutted a hairpin turn off road (ofcourse di'd not puncture his tyre like anyone else would do) and came back with the group.

It made me think: how good a XC-rider would someone like Armstrong be? A famous dutch mountainbiking guy (Bart Brentjens) used to be a 'normal cyclist' (not a top one) before his montainbiking carriere took off.

I know it is a completely different discipline, but will a top cyclist beat the top mountainbikers?

just curious.

Jeroen.

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
Re: Armstrong off road!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 01:50:20 am »
I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago when Armstrong said that his first Norba xc race was the hardest couple of hours he'd ever had on a bike. He certainly didn't kick ass but I suspect he will always give a good account of himself as long as the course is not too technical. He did a good job taking that short cut yesterday. I think he still gets on a mtb quite often.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 03:16:01 am »
There are a few MTB guys that have made the jump to the pro peloton...Cadel Evans comes to mind...I think he may have even worn the Maglia Rosa at the Giro last year for a stage or two!
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 03:05:56 pm »
Miguel Martinez did the tour last year, he tried to break away in a stage but did not get to far.

Road riding is a bit different and offers much. I used to compete much on mountain bike events and did ok. When I also got into road bikes; training and competing, I became extremely strong, and did very very good, in my mountain bike competitions.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2003, 07:20:55 pm »
isnt it amazing technology,,people from all points of the globe discussing an incident we all saw as though we were there ...together!!!!Lance would do very very well on a hilly non technical course....now who is gonna win the tour Lance or that vinny bloke???
kiwi proflex rider

StoereVent

• Journeyman
  • Rocky Mountain Instinct
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2003, 11:31:28 pm »
We will know after the stage of next friday. He is beatable in the mountains (as we have seen).
If his result in his time trail isn't as good as other years (he lost some time in the first stage, while last year he won), I expect Vinokurov to win.

Jeroen.

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 02:57:09 am »
Armstrong should put 20 sec on Vinokurov in the time trail, he may concede to Ullrich. Could be wishfull thinking, but I beleive Armstrong has not employed his 100% on the mountains. This saturday I (we) should know if my wishful thinking is for real.

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 03:07:21 am »
Sorry, saturday, sunday, monday
look at the course profile for those stages, and Armstrong performance up to this point then makes sense (conserving muscles as much as posible)

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2003, 03:23:20 am »
The Pyrennes will separate the men from the boys...remember, Lance might be toying with them like he has before...
Hats off to Hamilton!! That's one tough SOB!  Broken collarbone and he ATTACKS Lance in the Alps!! :o
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Dennis

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
    • phatphysics.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 06:30:11 am »
agreed, tyler hamilton gets my vote for the toughest SOB in sports!! and he's only 137lbs!
He is, imho, waaaaay tougher than any sissy basketball, hockey, or football (American style) player.

anyway, tomorrow, Friday, will be the day we begin to find out about Lance. The Race of Truth, as they say.
They said this morning on the coverage that Lance has been battling some kind of intestinal problem that arose just before the Tour began. Its supposed to be gone now. could explain his performance to date, but still, he is ahead.
Vinokourov could present some problems, but I still think Ullrich is the main contender, but of course, I could be wrong.
I hope Hamilton finishes in the top five, if not the top three. He deserves a very high finish.
Did you see Arnold present the yellow jersey to Armstrong at the finish today? give me a break. he's there to promote T3, not to support the race, and they let him present the yellow jersey. I hate that crap, he's only an actor, a pretender.
anyway, have a nice day everyone, and have fun watching the time trial tomorrow and the mountains after.
Dennis  [smiley=groucho.gif]
K2 Oz - Blue Crush
Giant MCM Team carbon HT - Momentum
Peugeot PX 10E - 1969
Trek 930 (tourer) - Valkyrie
Calfee Luna Pro - photon
gallery- http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?album=Dennis

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 12:16:55 pm »
I think Hamilton should probably quit now.
It is inmensely risky, if he was to fall down again. Had he not hurt himself he could have been fighting to win the tour, but in his present condition I don't think he will make top three.  Sure sucks to have planned and trained so much and then get hurt the first day, but there are plenty other races for him to prove himself.  Tyler you are tough, we want to see you win other races, after tomorrow's time trial, give it up!

jedoaks

• Apprentice
  • wood is good
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 06:07:53 pm »
I was just reading a article, forgot where. Stating that a road rider should never be able win a mtb race. I've always thought that. Make the courses about bike handling. That's why the races are boring,  they are technical , but relativly smooth.Their tires never leave the ground.Roland Green was from the road if i'm not mistaken, look what he's done. Yeah,going to be interesting to see what Lance does tomorrow. Rich

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2003, 02:10:58 am »
mtb races that roadies can compete in are boring, probably why xc is not as popular as it used to be. I like watching those Red Bull comps but that is obviously a bit too extreme for the average rider, I'd like to see Lance tackle one of those courses!

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2003, 04:23:16 pm »
got to give all those roadies credit for this event. nothing comes close to the physical output over a long period of time.

i am following it closely.

Tyler Hamilton...AMAZING but he would have been out if there was ANY thing other than road riding.  he has guts and a great training med staff.

Lance was IMO even more amazing following his "cyclocross' and the attacks in the Alps.  

damn your parts still not there?????

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2003, 11:09:01 pm »
wow ullrich was strong in the tt is lance under the hammer or is he holding a bit back for the pyrenees(sp)???
kiwi proflex rider