Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 04, 2024, 06:17:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 30
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 52
Total: 52
52 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Razorback aftermarket shocks?  (Read 2400 times)

pimpbot

Razorback aftermarket shocks?
« on: July 12, 2003, 05:36:52 am »
Are there any shocks other than the K2 Noleen and the K2 Fox kit for the Razorback SL?

I am about to recieve a used 2002 Razorback SL Carbon and after hearing the horror stories about the Noleen shock, I'm hoping that I'm not too locked into too few options for replacing it if it comes to that. http://idriders.com/newforum/yabbimages/emoticons/turtle.gif

Does K2 sell rebuild kits for the Noleen? Perhaps I should heep a kit on hand.

bikendan

• Journeyman
Re: Razorback aftermarket shocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 05:46:14 pm »
the noleen horror stories are mainly the nr series. the mega air shocks have been very durable. the fork and the razor rear have been well received. but they are not as good as the fox. the problem is the pull shock design. there are so few out there that most companies aren't willing to make one. i've seen very few, if any, negative posts on the rear noleen mega air. k2 says they are rebuildable but i haven't seen any kits for that. you might want to call noleenshockservice. see their link under the link section.

pimpbot

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2003, 03:29:51 pm »
Cool, thanks for the reply.

So they switched shock versions at some point? That is, the NR is the one that is potentially unreliable and the Mega Air is the better one?

To clarify, I am talking about the frame shock, not the fork. I'm going to build it up with the RS Duke Race that I already ride on.

The frame I'm getting is a 2002 Razorback SL with the carbon seatstays. Are you saying that it will have the newer more reliable version? I don't tend to beat on my gear too badly, but I am a bit of a clyde at 205#.

Thanks for the help.

pimpy

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 06:18:34 pm »
the nr series are coil-over shocks, not air sprung. the noleen air shock and later nr shocks were made by dnm, a taiwan shock company for k2, using the noleen name.
i am also a clydesdale, 220 lbs and i've been riding mine for almost 2 years and have had no problems with the mega air. you can buy the fox upgrade. i'm not sure if you have to buy a whole new seatstay too.
i recommend riding the noleen first and save money up for the fox. the fox is more adjustable.
the duke will be a good match for the frame.
by the way, zap espinoza just named the razorback 4.0 his favorite bike of the month.

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 03:20:08 am »
I've got the Fox upgrade and yes, you do have to get a new strut.  I'm at about 6'6" and 205 and it seems noticeably stiffer(a bit heavier, though).  Mine was a warranty upgrade since my old strut shit the bed... [smiley=diaper.gif]
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem