Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 08:20:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 60
Total: 60
60 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 28 vs 32 hole front disc hub ???  (Read 3196 times)

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
28 vs 32 hole front disc hub ???
« on: June 10, 2003, 10:49:16 am »
hi guys,
i'm in the process of saving up for a new set of hubs. chris king disc hubs to be precise.
my question is - is there any advantage in going 28 hole [weight wise] on the front? i'm going to stick with 32 for the rear and was just wondering how the extra stress of the disc would effect a 28 on the front?
i would imagine by the time you take in the spoke length difference [28 vs 32] the weight advantage would be not wort worrying about?
i ride xc only...
ProFlex 957 [retired - but she will be back...]
K2 Oz - I LOVE my Oz   [smiley=nod.gif]
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex
Specialized Source Eleven

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
Two cents:
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 12:10:07 pm »
I have been lacing my own wheels since going to disc brakes.  I always use a 32-spoke 3X weave.  I have never had a spoke break.  Some of my crosscountry friends ride more stressed patterns (radial fronts, 28-spokes, 2X weaves) with V-brakes and have broken spokes on the trail.  Maybe its just luck, but I'll stay with what has worked for me.  You can easily save more weight in tire/tube/rim selection.  Also, those items are at the largest diameter where mass has the greatest (negative) impact on angular moment.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

RoentgenRanger

• Journeyman
  • mud, sweat and gears
Re: 28 vs 32 hole front disc hub ???
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 02:25:26 am »
I'd stick with the 32.  The loads on the hub flange and spokes generated by discs are much higher than with rim brakes.  Whatever ya do, don't radial lace a disc wheel...bad things happen!
'04 Santa Cruz Heckler
'03 Razorback
'93 Bontrager Race SS
'97 Custom Reynolds 853 GT Edge Road
'90? Specialized Hardrock(commuter)
'91 Trek T50 Road Tandem

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 05:21:29 am »
i am going to ditto the 32 / 3 cross patterns.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 06:06:58 am »
28 hole with discs no-no 28 hole with V's when well built could be fine but why risk it ? stick to 32 hole and enjoy fun filled reliability, nice choice of hubs.Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 08:59:28 am »
thanks for that guys, pretty much confirmed what i thought but i just wanted to get some of your opinions  :)
will let you guys know how i get on [it could b a while though - these things are pricey!]
hey - how about rim recommendations?? mavic of some description??
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex

GET

• Journeyman
Rims
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 01:27:03 pm »
I've used Sun Sub IVs, Mavic 517s, Syncros Lil' Snappers, and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.  I've had great luck with all of them.  I can't really say I've seen alot of difference.  With 32 spokes/ 3X weave, they all true up very well and I haven't had any require any real maintenance.  I do use high grade spokes, since I don't want them to pop.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 04:25:59 pm »
thanks for that guys, pretty much confirmed what i thought but i just wanted to get some of your opinions  :)
will let you guys know how i get on [it could b a while though - these things are pricey!]
hey - how about rim recommendations?? mavic of some description??

oh and i would use brass nipples, too while you are at it

Carbon_Kiwi

• Master
    • Aotearoa Web Design
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 04:32:43 pm »
 :-/ not alloy ???
Giant OCR-0
Diamond Back Apex

GET

• Journeyman
brass v. alloy nipples
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2003, 12:30:06 am »
On four of the wheels I've built, I used the alloy nipples that came with the Swiss DT spokes.  So far, knock on wood, I've had no problems.  Brass offers the advantages of strength and self-lubricity.  They are also heavier.  If you're doing crosscountry, the alloy nipples seem to be great.  If you are using straight guage spokes and/or are doing flat drops, then I would say use the brass.  Straight guage spokes are less flexible (stretchable) and are more likely to pull the threads out of the nipples.  With alloy nipples, be sure to use an anti-seize compound on the threads and around the eyelets.

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2003, 09:35:22 am »
I've been using Mavic X317 (I'm running disc's) X517 is the equivalent for rim brakes with DT Swiss spokes and alloy nips for a year, and never had to even tweak them and they've had a hard life, the trick is to find an excellent wheel builder it does'nt cost much extra to have a professional build.Simon [smiley=nod.gif]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2003, 09:37:05 am by Simon »
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,