Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 06:24:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 27
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
42 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Pivot of DOOM! Help?  (Read 13339 times)

skoddy

• Novice
  • I'll be there with pants on!
Re: Pivot of DOOM! Help?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:53:19 am »
Wow, Terry!  Thanks for all the trouble!  I really didn't mean to cause so much work.  Thanks so much!
   What you have there is so much more simple.  I don't really understand what I see there just yet--or how it works, anyways.  I suppose I need to study the diagrams, make a shopping list, and then try to hit up Iron Horse on Monday.  If they don't have anything left....then it's time to get creative.

In response to your earlier post--this frame had no stickers at all--anywhere.  I removed the shock and looked around up between the plates, but the only thing I could find...and it was barely noticeable...was a poorly hand- scribed number on the left plate.  It says '1120' but the two ones make are in an odd shape, and it could just as easily be a botched "120."  At any rate, I was surprised to find that, because I've looked all over the frame for any sort of marks or identification.
   This frame was supposedly a warranty holdover that was liquidated when the bike biz left Vashon.  The guy I bought it from said it was a 1999 OZ-M, not that the designation means anything when built up with random parts.  I was pretty sure I was getting ripped off at the time, but what can I say?  I always wanted one of these bikes, and this was only the second I'd seen in person.  Maybe I need to get out more :D

One other thing...in my slightly more enlightened opinion after having the bike a couple years, and exploring this site...it almost looks as if my frame missed a coating of some kind.  It's not very nice looking, and lacks the shine/smoothness of the bikes I see here.  So who knows, the frame may well have been a quality control reject.  I have one other (very long) post on this site, which has a picture of the bike as bought--pre Maniutou swinger, even.  It came with an NR-2 on the back, but that was also incorrect, as the lower end had/has a large milled aluminum block threaded onto it, with horizontal holes in it.  It fits very well in the swing arm, but was too long from what I've gathered.  Too bad I didn't know that when I measured for the new shock!  ;)

Thanks again so much for all your effort.  That really was 'above and beyond.'  If I can take any pictures that might help, let me know.  Your shot of the red anodized bit sure felt good to see!  At least I've got that much going for me on mine! hahahaha
   You mentioned that the inserts inside my black threaded flanges need to come out....I'm going to check that out as the seem very, very well fit in there. 
   For now, I leave you with a picture of the team that built my bike--celebrating their success at creating such a marvel, whilst still saving all their money for beer.

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 09:38:14 am »
Kiwi!  I missed your post amongst all my enormous pictures and blabbering!  Thanks for your input.  That 'axle' of mine sure looks just like the ones in the Vector diagrams.  All except the offset grooves.  Anyways...at least you have a new use for your spare Vector parts if you ever want a sweeeeet custom setup like mine. hahahaha.
   I thought the parts that were threaded into the frame looked pretty authentic too, but it looks like I may be wrong.  Gotta hand it to the guy...all this junk he assembled worked pretty well--for awhile. 
  And, hey!  I've had the chance to be in your city, and liked it an awful lot.  I even visited Parliament and sat in on a session to see how thoughtful government works! hahaha
  Oh boy....now I'm on some/another 'watch' list. ::)

Take care, and thanks again

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 03:13:18 pm »
Looks to me all you need to do is knock out the sleeve inserts that have been fitted to accomdate that (cut down) vector shaft from your threaded frame inserts,then refit.
Then all you need to get are the 4 bushes and seals (all in a kit)and the 2 tophat bearings one threaded one not, 1 bolt to go through the frame and you should be back to stock.
Let me check I may have what you need.

Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 03:22:01 pm »
the crosslink/vector bearing bearings are very thin,maybe 1.5 mm max
kiwi proflex rider

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 07:21:46 pm »
skoddy, would this be of interest to you? i knew i had it somewhere and as ive just bought some new bushes off colin i dont need it anymore.

im in uk so it may take a while for the post to get to you but you can have it foc.  pm me your address if you want me to send you it.

an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 10:12:34 pm »
skoddy, would this be of interest to you? i knew i had it somewhere and as ive just bought some new bushes off colin i dont need it anymore.

im in uk so it may take a while for the post to get to you but you can have it foc.  pm me your address if you want me to send you it.

Hi Jeff,

That is indeed what he needs. Those came out of your Oz? All of those parts are captured in the swingarm. Now the last bits requiered are the two pieces pressed into the frame, like the ones in my photo.

If you see the red area in my frame, the tapered black bits unscrew from them. One of mine happened to be loose ???, so I took it out. The gold flanged sleeve presses into that. All the other bits locate in the swingarm, and slip into the frame.

Does anyone have a spare set? I guess with a drawing or sample, they could be machined.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:02 pm »
Here is the only way out that I can see. Either you find those flanged tophat alum frame inserts, or maybe buy an old bike or frame that use those same components to cannibalize. :'(

http://cgi.ebay.com/K2-PROFLEX-3000-ELITE-FULL-SUSP-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-BB_W0QQitemZ320235826928QQihZ011QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/K2-Proflex-5000-frame-Pro-flex-Pro-flex_W0QQitemZ140221948527QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In the meantime, I will see what I come up with. ???
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:17 am »
Wow, Jeff!  That's the prettiest picture I've seen in quite awhile!  If you're absolutely sure you won't be needing that, I'd love to arrange something!  I'll be PM'ing, and thanks so much!

Terry: the "tophat" you mention...that would be part #10 in the assembly diagram, yes?  http://www.k2bikes.com/PDF/techLibrary/1998/98carbonframeassembly.pdf

I was wondering if what Simon suggested earlier: ("knock out the sleeve inserts that have been fitted to accomdate that (cut down) vector shaft from your threaded frame inserts,then refit.") would be effective if I had Jeff's hardware.  They aren't tophats, but more....spaceships:)  (pic below.)
   My spaceships have an inner diameter of 13mm with the inserts, and would have an I.D. of 16mm if I were to bore out the liners. 
In the meantime...the last time I contacted Iron Horse was a while ago now, and 'Tom' was the guy to call.   When I can,  I'm going to find out if there's a more current contact, and hopefully find someone knowledgeable and friendly there on Monday or Tuesday.  There are no part #'s for the tophats, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try!
  Got to run!  Thanks so much, guys!

-Scott-

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:50 am »
Scott,

That is right,"#10 - pivot face insert". All the carbon type swingarms use this same pivot system. My Oz, 957s,956 all use it.

You may get lucky with Iron Horse, but I would not count on it. 8) Let us know how that goes. Again, anyone have"pivot face inserts" they can spare?

I would like to see you get on with your Oz. ;D
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:23 pm »
Howdy, fellas.  Time is much tighter on the weekdays!  I didn't see a number for Iron Horse anywhere on the site, so have fired off an email to Mikel@....
  Please let me know if I missed a more current contact.  I'll let you know how it goes!

-Scott-

skoddy

• Novice
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 10:03:10 pm »
Well.... these days, an email to mikel@ironhorse provokes a prompt reply from a really helpful guy named Carl.  When I asked for the "pivot face inserts" (part 10 on the diagram I sent him ;))  Carl let me know that the only parts he has for me is RK008 (that's the 'quad rings' I think) and some d. hangers, which cannot be ordered directly, but " through your local K2 dealer or you can purchase them online at http://derailleurhanger.com/k2.htm."  Now we know.
  Carl answered my emails within about 5 minutes each, and was apologetic.  Thanks, Carl.

So...Jeffhop has been nice enough to offer up all of the other pivot parts I need.  I'm going to take advantage of that offer with many thanks out to Jeff.  When I have the parts, I'll see if I can make the threaded inserts I have work while continuing to look for the proper parts.  If all that fails I suppose I'll have to start looking for frames for sale on Ebay or Craigslist--which will come with all it's own parts, making me the new "pivot pal" parts holder of the group!  I just imagine the day I get to send Jeffhop's pivot parts back to the UK for someone in need! :D 
  So does this all sound like the logical thing to do?  Any particular frames I need to be looking for if it comes to that?  Would an Evo work?  Is there anything that you all are looking for that I can forward parts from? 
  Oi.  I need to sleep.  Thanks again, guys.

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 01:10:28 pm »
those 2 parts that you need, the #10 parts would be sooooo easy to machine if a detailed and accurate drawing (in mm`s) could be made, im afraid my bike wont be getting dissasembled as ive just gotten rid of a nasty creak and dont want to tempt fate by disturbing the swing arm, i could probably get it done quite quickly at the machine shop i used to work at.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 03:54:23 pm »
those 2 parts that you need, the #10 parts would be sooooo easy to machine if a detailed and accurate drawing (in mm`s) could be made, im afraid my bike wont be getting dissasembled as ive just gotten rid of a nasty creak and dont want to tempt fate by disturbing the swing arm, i could probably get it done quite quickly at the machine shop i used to work at.
How about if I sketch it for you, and you could send it with your spare parts.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 03:26:45 am »
i think i have part of a pivot kit....i cant seem to attach any pics and the gallery seemes to be broken for me..i cant seem to create an album as an administartor and if i log in as a user it says i dont have permission to creat an album.!
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 08:16:17 am »
This should help.
Terry

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:18:20 am by shovelon »
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)