Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 09:28:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25
25 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Long rides  (Read 9602 times)

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Long rides
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 02:08:08 pm »
ditto in Derby potentially
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 03:30:23 pm »
The route is not definate yet, but im planning an 'east of the penines' route is its more rare to do and i would like to pass through my home town (northampton)

I have a website partially built in the form of a blog type site, once i get my new server up and running i will get it finished and post it here so people can have a look.  It will be updated with all sorts of info and a few pics of the 856 too.

Thank you to both of you for the offer of overnight stays! if the final route takes me near either of you i will be certain to call! I hope to finalise the route in the next month or so, but it will also be determined by how the training goes.  If it starts to look unachievable in the time frame, i may ditch the idea of passing through Northampton in favour of a shorter route.  (think i will stick to an east route though)

Interestingly, when i mentioned to the bike shop owner that i was planning to do it on my proflex he rolled his eyes and offered a 'you t**t' kind of expression.  Well there is no other bike i would want to do it on, without my 856 the rides off! i cant think of a better bike to be in terms of how happy i will be with the event at the end of it.

Andy.
1996 856 Red and Yellow (the fastest colour)

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 03:55:07 pm »
yeah why is that when you mention pro-flex at your LBS some spotty grungy (mechanic/i know what im on about) t**t gives it the kevin & perry
whats one of them never heard of em.. kids know nothing..god i had to get a f/mech from germany cos the geeks dont know s**t. good luck
with the training..
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 04:42:49 pm »
The reaction i got was from a guy whos im guessing in his late 40's early 50's  >:(

But i know exactly what you mean, when i was rebuilding the proflex, i went into a shop not too far away that deals mainly in high end bikes (they used to sell proflex) only one person in the shop had ever heard of one and he wasnt in the slightest bit interested in helping me.  Obviously more hassle than its worth trying to help with something that isnt current and easy to deal with.

No wonder people buy from the internet.  Im all for supporting local shops, but paying extra has to come with some benefit ie better more personal service, otherwise i might aswell save a few quid, not have to travel and just click the mouse button!  ::)

Andy.

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 08:31:27 am »
My LBS built my 957 frame up for me and didn't think I was at all mad. They remembered them from back in the day 'cos a local guy used to race them (I'll find out his name).

Mind you the owner still rides is original Eldridge Grade ("nothing wrong with cantis, just bunny hop stuff") the other guy only rides hardtails, doesn't like squishy bikes, but he rode it and his reaction was 'that rides quite well - I don't normally like full suss.'

That's why I support my lbs though, and they fix stuff for me while I wait if they can.

(George Halls Cycle Centre, Market Harborough) - not an employee, not on commission.

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

purple gerbil

• Master
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:13 am »
the bike shop im on about is leisure lakes in breaston derby. it used to be called funsports and i used to go in the back and use there tools and
fix the odd bike in return. they was always helpful. even used to go on bike demo days with em showing off the latest and greatest.
these were the main pro-flex guys even had some local rides with jez avery (still doing stunts find him on net) the guy fell about laughing
when i snapped my 552 saying he aint broke one like that before (ripped off rear shock mount from s/stube) on cossal ski slope at ilkeston.
he made sure that it was replaced. bike shops nowadays wont even lend you a chain extractor.
soz for hi-jacking your thread.
THE 1 AND ONLY PURPLE GERBIL...

1991 ALPINESTARS AL-MEGA DX.
1992 PRO-FLEX 862.
1994 PRO-FLEX 954.
1994? GT RTS.
1998 GT LTS DS 2000.
1998 K2 4000se PROJECT.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 12:56:18 pm »
I went to that shop (the one in Breaston) with my XP-8 when I first got it as I was told by my LBS (Samways) that there was a guy there who knew about Proflexes - turns out he didn't and they hadn't a clue even though they were the Proflex poeple a few years back...
'95 855

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 08:02:02 am »
I think one of the problems with bike shops is they tend to employ very young people, or those looking to earn a short term living while going through education etc,  this means most of their knowledge is on the latest gear and with bike stuff changing and evolving so rapidly, things soon get changed and updated.

Enough about bike shops though, this is a thread about long rides!!

Talking of which im off for a ride now, will keep fairly local though as the weather is not good.  Im a fair weather biker!!  ;D

Andy.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 11:42:45 pm »

Talking of which im off for a ride now, will keep fairly local though as the weather is not good.  Im a fair weather biker!!  ;D

Andy.
you may need to change your outlook ...considering....
kiwi proflex rider

AndySV1K

• Apprentice
    • Ecosale.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:29 am »

Andy.
you may need to change your outlook ...considering....

I know  :(

I went out yesterday and it started to rain, but as a pshycological step forward, i turned in a direction away from home and carried on riding.

Ok, i didnt do the distance i wanted to (and to be fair, it didnt rain very hard, or for very long ::)) but atleast i didnt turn for home at the first spot of rain or go cowering under a tree.  I stupidly went out without food or money, thats the reason for my shorter distance as i hit the wall after an hour or so.

I managed 20 miles though.

Andy.

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 02:21:06 am »
thats a good start andy.....its a weird feeling isnt it hitting the wall....Yes you must carry money and food...
kiwi proflex rider

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 03:28:28 pm »
I remember hitting the wall in one of my first long off-road rides. First I started feeling a bit cold, then my legs became shaky, I started pedalling slower and slower until I couldn't balance any more, so then I pushed the bike on foot, then I couldn't even do that, my mates had to push it for me (still several miles to get back to the cars). We had no food with us. Eventually I was within 20 feet of the car and I just couldn't do it, I sat down where I was and couldn't move. Nothing could have made me budge right then! I was lucky I wasn't alone or that the weather wasn't too bad. Had a couple of scrapes since then, but have learnt my lesson!
'95 855

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 05:02:27 pm »
thats a good start andy.....its a weird feeling isnt it hitting the wall....Yes you must carry money and food...

Just bring your wife  or girlfriend ;D ;D ;D
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »
My kid and I did the Hummingbird trail(very nasty trail) on a hot morning last summer. Towards the bottom my arms went weak and I barely made it to the trailhead. At the trailhead we started the road climb back to the car, when we spotted a bar(pub to UKers). We went in for sodas and the barmaid treated me to a brewsky, best I ever had in my life. Re-energized, I floated up the mountain. The bar has since gone bust. :'( :'( :'(

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 11:08:04 pm »
hmmm beer whilst "bonked"..not sure i could handle that combination...
kiwi proflex rider