Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:31:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 21
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41
41 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 1999 OZ-X  (Read 5265 times)

kylemason

• Novice
1999 OZ-X
« on: February 12, 2008, 07:13:57 am »
  Just got what I think is a 1999 K2 OZ-X (it has that sticker).  Has a smart fork that doesn't seem to work.  I put a new battery in it and no light.  I have swapped it out for my Dart3 from my GT.  I downloaded the pdf from K2 on the fork and was wondering if it is worth it to attempt to rebuild without the brain?
I'm excited to find this forum, and since reading some of the posts the creak is gone!  Apparently the headset was the culprit.  I was also not suprised to find very little grease on the swingarm pivot.  Thanks for the info and good tech! 
Kyle
Gainesville, Florida   8)
ride hard, play harder!

Old Proflexer

• Guru
Re: 1999 OZ-X
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 07:35:14 am »
Welcome Kyle -

Some of the smart forks and smart shocks are still out there and functioning but from personal experience - you can do much better with something that was at least designed in this millenium.

The frame however is a different matter - unless you're looking to do some extreme downhill riding, my opinion, you can't get a better cross country frame.

OP
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 12:27:41 pm »
Ditto. The frame makes a great "All Mountain" bike as well.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kylemason

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:50:05 pm »
Thanks guys.  I cleaned and greased the smart fork and that took care of the noises, so I'm running that one on the GT hardtail town bike.  I just rode 7 miles on a break in ride on some rooty trail and totally lost my mind!  I've never sat down to climb like that.  Since this is my first full suspension I'm learning to ride all over again!  :o
I'm hoping to do the disc on the rear and front as my first upgrade.  Thanks for the great site!
kyle
ride hard, play harder!

kylemason

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 03:55:38 pm »
PS Hey old proflexer,  I think I read your review on MTBR and was hoping to find some parts.  Rear derailer hanger and the bushing kit for the  pivot.  Are the crank bearings available?  How about any seals? Info would be greatly appreciated.  I dont need anything yet, but Google couldn't find parts.
Thanks kyle
ride hard, play harder!

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
rear derailler hangers are not hard to find - last I saw the k2 site had some for sale or one could call them and order one - been a while tho.  I've only broken one in years and that was after pounding it flat against the cement in my garage and reinstalling it (a couple of times).  seal kits may be available there too othewise you can put a shout out here and usually somebody has a line on them or an extra in their spares box.  there's a few tips and tricks to replacing the quad rings.

bottom bracket sets are a matter of choice, i run a wilderness trail bikes on one of my oz's and can't remember what's in the other one.  easy to replace, just need the right size.

go to k2bike.com and click on the tech library link.  you should find manuals, hangers (the oz uses an rk011) etc. and older stuff - plus, we had most of that here on the site as well under the how to's on the left side of the page.  (some great guy named grimjack takes care of all that for us - without him - we'd probably all be lost)
get and save all the info on your frame and fork.

i'm never going to be a great mountain biker and at my age, never will be. 
just like to look good doing it so i ride an oz.  :-*
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »
kyle check the stickies,"placeholder" and follow the link to iron horse.....they now deal with K2 parts...
kiwi proflex rider

kylemason

• Novice
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 02:57:20 pm »
Thanks Guys! 
Kyle
ride hard, play harder!

Luke

• Apprentice
  • I washed it recently...I think it was in 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 03:13:56 am »
IMHO unfortunately the frame lacks the lightness & stiffness to be an XC racer.

Some would also criticise the length and over-stable geometry, looking for something more twitchy for XC use.
But not me. I adore how long it is, the relaxed angles (I run a 100 mm SID XL double crown, remember them?)
They were ahead of their time, and the materials available at the time limit the XC potential of the frame.
It’s unfortunate that the “all mountain” category was invented by bike companies to sell heavier, often less well equipped bikes when the XC market started stagnating and the wannabees didn’t want to any more; because it’s quite a good title.

“General purpose” and “all rounder” are not trendy enough terms. Pity, because my 5500 (or OZ if you like) fits there; it’s all top equipment, if old (anything less than XT just doesn’t last) and the bike is still on the heavy side.

I average around 240km a week on mine, (I do a 60km commute with 850 metres altitude difference)
I don’t know what I’ll do if something irreparable breaks on it. But up till now I’ve been able to glue back the breakages/machine parts etc.

There is no bike as comfortable, forgiving, reassuring and just plain fun as the plastic Proflex.

Ride it hard, the payback is worth it. Just learn to climb seated, and don’t look down at the bottom bracket if you’re stomping on the pedals.

Luke

Oh, yes, the reason I started this reply: I ended up aralditing in the headset cups to shut up one of my creaks; I don't know if it was the headset or the frame, but they were quite a loose fit.
Warranty replacements due to cracks detected in time (since 1989):
4x 'Dale M2000
3x 'Dale EST
2x steel stumpjumpers
2x 855
2x 856
2x Scott G-Zero +3x swingarms.
85kgs & I only race XC!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:00:12 am »
IMHO unfortunately the frame lacks the lightness & stiffness to be an XC racer.
you are quite right,we just said its a good XC bike..it was the 55 and x 56 that were the racers
kiwi proflex rider