Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 07:15:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 38
Total: 38
38 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Need help and tips on making a home shop  (Read 3951 times)

jazclrint

• Journeyman
    • The Bicycle Guy
Need help and tips on making a home shop
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:33:59 pm »
Hey guys,
     Here's one for you!  I'll be moving over to a new place after Christmas.  The bummer part is that there is no man cave like the current place has.  However, the basement is heated, or rather it just happens to be warm, unlike the current place.  Now, I live in Maine, where it is cold, for a looooong time, and there are old homes.  Any way, it's an old style dirt floor basement that isn't level but there is enough room for me to stand up and work against the wall that is at the lowest point of the basement.  What kind of flooring should I put down that wouldn't look tacky, but is cheap and good for dropping bolts and small things on?  I also plan on completely tearing at least 2 of the bikes (one will be the 5500) apart and inspecting, cleaning, and lubing everything.  Any good suggestions on shelving (and what not) that would facilitate this process and leave me the ability to walk away in the middle of something and come back a few days later?  I think my GF has a nice work bench I can use that would be helpful.
Thanks
Rich 5500c EC70 Handlebar, EC70 seatpost, SRAM X.0 shifters/R.D., 9.0 casette, X-7 F.D., Magura HS33s, Raceface Next LP w/ti Isis BB, Fulcrum Zeros RB, Fox Float RL AVAs F&R, Rocket Rons 2.25

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
Re: Need help and tips on making a home shop
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 02:19:51 am »
I would think that digging out a little and setting a concrete floor would be best, but I'm really not sure of the code/ramifications of doing that in your basement. I'm sure you'd have to dig out a ways and lay down gravel/stone for an underlayment. Any other floor you built on top of the dirt would compromise head room. (And may be subject to humidity and mold- ick) Plenty of light is recommended, and that backer board that comes predrilled (name escapes me for now) to use with hooks for tools is pretty inexpensive. I built a cheap bike stand from pipe materials (google DIY bike stand) and mounted it to my bench.
Cost about $20 and works fairly well. I think everything else will be suit to taste in how you like to layout your work area.
Good luck and post pics of your progress
-Keith
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.

willem

Re: Need help and tips on making a home shop
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 02:13:53 am »
Sounds like an excellent project... and from what I remember of living in Portland, you've got at least 4-5 months to tinker before the sun really comes up!

This is probably a fairly old house, right? Dirt floors in Maine basements puts you back past the 1940's I'd guess. So it's going to be a little musty/dusty. Get good ventilation and check that furnace out for CO. You can probably cut an opening in the ductwork between the joists to bleed in some warm air.

Couple of random tips:
Dig out the floor for level working - you'll be glad you did.
Go to Home Depot and check the scrap hopper for pieces of lumber & countertops. You should be able to get enough lumber to build a bench for < $25.
Put in a plywood floor (>1/2" thick & at least 8'x8') and put a rim around it to catch loose ball bearings!
Get a cheap 3' flourescent fixture and a drop light for spot lighting.

Now here's a painful lesson I learned yesterday in my workshop: If you put a hanging scale up, don't hang it where you can catch body parts on it as you walk by. I actually pierced my ear from the inside out when I caught the hook. Hurt like a @$#%& and filled my ear with blood!

Enjoy