Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 07:17:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 47
Total: 47
47 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: 856 Breaking Disk Mount  (Read 4231 times)

Matt_G

856 Breaking Disk Mount
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:30:36 am »
I noticed my 856's rear disk mount weld starting to fracture this morning. There is a tiny gap starting from the top going down about 3/4 of an inch on both sides. Im really surprised that it has fractured on the top since it is under compression when breaking. If it gets any worse I will have to reweld it soon. I will post pictures later.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: 856 Breaking Disk Mount
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:21:30 am »
Don't let it break off. It will be much easier to reweld without having to reposition.

Could be soft rod was used to join the mount to the swingarm.

You could pull the wheel and run the bike to a welder, or pull the swingarm, send it, and I would be happy to run a high strength weld around the joint.

Either way, just make sure the weld rod is 5356. If the guy does not know what you mean, run.:-)
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

Matt_G

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:44 am »
I agree, im not sure where Will got it done at, but I will try to take it somewhere to have it done. Where in the US are you at? I would weld it my self but i would have to get the gas and the wire. Thanks for the weld info.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:18 am »
I am in Los Angeles.

And you?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

willem

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:01 am »
Aaaaggghhh!

Matt,

There's no way that should break if it had been welded right. The swingarm should collapse long before that weld should break.

The boys at 110 Welding in Whitehouse (on Hwy 110) charged me $60 (roughly) to weld that on.
To fixture the bracket, I had it located on the swingarm with a dummy hub/rotor and the caliper clamped in place. The geniuses used the brake rotor for a ground and and destroyed. it. Guess I shoulda seen that one coming!

My initial instinct - without looking at it - is that work should be repaired at no cost. Give it a try.

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:45:42 am »
Aaaaggghhh!

Matt,

There's no way that should break if it had been welded right. The swingarm should collapse long before that weld should break.

The boys at 110 Welding in Whitehouse (on Hwy 110) charged me $60 (roughly) to weld that on.
To fixture the bracket, I had it located on the swingarm with a dummy hub/rotor and the caliper clamped in place. The geniuses used the brake rotor for a ground and and destroyed. it. Guess I shoulda seen that one coming!

My initial instinct - without looking at it - is that work should be repaired at no cost. Give it a try.

NICE!!!!

Pretty clear that they used the soft general purpose rod on 7005 self tempering base metal. Once the 7005 hardened up, the 4043 weld got worked. Since it will never strain harden in a good way, it work hardened to a crack.

Have the crack filed into a bit and reweld all around for extra strength using the 5356 rod.

Good Luck, and maybe you can get em to do it cheap. Send it to me and I will do it for free.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

Matt_G

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:43:52 am »
I will head there tomorrow to see what they can do and explain the problem. Im in Tyler, Texas so if this place charges more than there and back shipping I will send it your way, only downside is that I will be armless for 2-weeks. Thanks for the help

Matt_G

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:24 am »
Well Terry, you wouldn't believe it if I told you what the welding shop had to say. I have never herd so many lies in 30 minutes. Anyways, I think I am going to send the swing arm to you if you don't mind. If you want to send me your info my e-mail is mgreen@patriots.uttyler.edu Thanks