Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 03:20:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69
69 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Using water in My Maguras  (Read 4502 times)

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
Using water in My Maguras
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:21:46 pm »
I was thinking about changing out the oil in my Maguras (rim brakes) and using a "water bleed". I am having a difficult time bleeding them (even with the Magura kit) and read on a trials site that water will not hurt the brakes, and provides a livelier response. Plus you can bleed 'em in a bucket which ensure you rid them of air. Has anyone here tried this? I am not that familiar with the guys on the trials sites, and not really trusting their opinions much. Any input, please let me know-

Thanks, Keith
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 12:22:50 pm by rightturnclyde »
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: Using water in My Maguras
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:39:34 am »
Sorry m8, never had to bleed my Maguras in 10 years!

Put a question to the Magura Tech forum, they've been very good to me in the past:

I have heard of emergency fixes of putting anything in except DOT brake oil, e.g. water, cooking oil etc etc.........

Col.
2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

jimbo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:05:58 am »
No expertise on this subject except that I own Magura's.

I would think that water over the long haul would be a bad idea because it speeds up oxidation on some materials.  I may be wrong but just a thought.

See this article.  The guy talks about alternative sources of mineral oil.  I haven't worked out the cost but maybe you can get it cheap enough to do a bucket bleed.

http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bikemineraloil.htm

I am sold on mineral oil based disc brakes.  

1) Mineral oil is not corrosive when it leaks or spills.

2) Mineral oil does not absorb water so like Colin said you don't have to re-bleed unless you spring a leak or have parts wear out.  Mtbs are high maintanence in the first place so 1 less thing to do a year helps.

I just bought 2 sets (to do 2 bikes) of LX Shimano discs from the Jenson closeout at $108 a set to do a complete bike.  That's a steal.

Sprucey

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:20:53 am »
I think it is more fundamental than corrosion of metal parts.

Trials riders always ride at slow speed and do not heat their brakes up - at temperate temperatures water is a great compression resistant fluid. Problem is, it boils at 100degrees C and once it boils your brakes will totally fail! Try a longish downhill stretch - even on an XC bike and see how it performs then?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trials riders are hopping from one obstacle to the next with very little pad/rotor friction - the disc moves slowly through the caliper and causes very liitle heat builld up through friction - compressive strength is more important - hence most good trials brakes having  very large (larger than normal caliper pistons) for instant grab effect.

Brake fluid - beit mineral oil or Dot boial at 5 - 7 times the heat of water so it is much better in longer DH's.

tell me I'm wrong?

Sprucey

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:30:10 pm »
you are NOT wrong Sprucey.When the brakes "fail" on cas,its ussually because of the moisture that has been absorbed nto the brake fluid.Thsi boils creating air/steam pockets which compress easily ...no brakes
kiwi proflex rider

rightturnclyde

• Novice
  • My own worst enemy
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:10:24 am »
Enh. I am gonna switch over a set of V-brakes from my Marin, which i'm converting to 'cross. I dont have really good luck, and the way the hose popped out of the brake lever, causing this whole bleeding fiasco, I would be sure to have issues again. Just my luck, so why press it?  Thanks for the advice, always appreciated. This forum is always so helpful.

Cheers for the New Years - Keith
I'm running out of time to do the things I'll never do.