Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 11:20:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 61
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
33 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Anybody running full length housings?  (Read 2821 times)

David Cepp

Anybody running full length housings?
« on: May 21, 2003, 12:13:45 am »
I was thinking of modifying my 01 Razorback to run full length housings for my rear brake and rear deralieur. Has anyone done this? Any pics of it and what type of casing did you use? What size/type drill bit to bore cable guides? I want to know if there were any additional do-dads that were used at the exposed cables at the rear deralieur and the rear brake. I have the rubber noodles that come with the brake and deralieur but I want to seal the ends better. I have Avid housings on my K2 that have been awesome for the past 2 years and only have to change the cables twice a year. I clean my rear brake and der cables/housing every week and I am getting short of time prior to my rides recently (growing family) and would like to try this switch. Thanks.

-Dave

pedro

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Anybody running full length housings?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 12:23:59 am »
I run full length rear brake cables on my evo. I just zip tied it to the hydraulic-cable-casing guides.

Old Proflexer

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 01:28:01 am »
may want to try using hydraulic cable guides first -
10 bucks or so for a pair -
cheap and easy to install and uninstall without the permanance of drilling

some pics of mine on a 4500 are in the gallery

OP

http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2.pl?photo=Old_Proflexer/OPFrontFenderSide.jpg
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 01:29:59 am by Old_Proflexer »
Yeah, they don't make 'em anymore - it's a classic - - -

David Cepp

Where can I purchase the cable guides?-nm
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 04:20:28 am »
nm

Peter_K2_Bike

• Novice
  • Broke Away.
    • Speedmetal Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 09:39:10 am »
I'm running Avid Full Metal Jacket housing on my DH bike.  It's great stuff.  As stiff as cable stops, but as clean as full length housing.  It's sold to be used for brakes, but can be used for derailleurs with no problems.  The other thing I did to seal it even better was put shrink tubing over all the ferrules, so that there is no way dirt or even moisture can get in where the metal tubing and regular housing meet.  Also, I've found that WD-40 works good for keeping cables running smoothly as it is technically not a lubricant, but a water diplacement.  Water is every bit as much an enemy to your housing as dirt.
Speedmetal Racing
Azonic*Bicycles West*Hayes*gohuckyourself.com*GRC*Maxxis*MRP*Pedro's*Sportworks*Sun/Ringlé*661

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 10:03:14 am »
I drilled out both my brake and derailleur stops. The brakes are considerably more reliable now. (I used to have to flush my housing after just ONE really wet ride. Now it's a non-issue). I've only ridden a couple of times since I drilled the rear derailleur cable stops. I figured if it worked so well with the brakes, it would work just as well with the shifting. I'm not so sure now though. The housing seems to slip up at the lower stop, thus stretching the housing between the frame and swingarm and causing some minor ghost shifting when the suspension moves. If anybody has any ideas to prevent this, please let me know. I haven't had time to really fiddle with it yet. I have a feeling that if I could wedge something in there (like electrician's tape) to hold it in place, that would solve the problem. I tried it once, but I was in a hurry and didn't do a thorough job (and it didn't hold).  :-/
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

dmc

• Apprentice
Hey Manto
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 11:00:27 am »
I haven't put a full housing on my rear derailleur yet but my rear disc hose keeped moving in the cable guides so I got 2 small zipties and put one at each end of the hose between the two guides on the frame and on the swingarm and it doesn't move anywhere, so it should work fine with your derailleur cables and by only putting the ties on the same length of cable between the guides you can leave a couple of mm between the guide and ties at each end so you have a little play still in the cable. dmc
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 11:04:20 am by dmc »
In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Scott

• Master
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 01:35:51 pm »
Dave-I had no access to my Oz guides for a drill bit.  I hand filed them after laying electrical on the frame for protection from the slips!  i have an old alloy rollamajig with a pair of Coke twist on caps sandwiched over it-a little silicone and the entire run is sealled with of course the rubber boot from cable pinch bolt to housing end at r.d.
Matt-
I had the housing pop out at the swingarm. seems that without enough housing there to form about a 1.5 inch droop in the cable with suspension at full extension, a fast/hard hit will pop it out so run new housing from the bars to swingarm adding enough to keep this droop.  Also my housing tended to move through the filed out stops-here I added just a bit of shoe goo, hand forming it after a few minutes for better appearence.  a black marker blends the formed goo into the Oz
Scott
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
K2 Oz
K2 5000
Extralite F1 (sub 20lb FS)
Trek 1000 road

RhinoDave

• Apprentice
  • Built for comfort...not speed!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2003, 02:50:01 pm by RhinoDave »
"Never waste a downhill"