Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:20:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 45
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
32 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Newb Intro. 855 owner.  (Read 5655 times)

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Newb Intro. 855 owner.
« on: May 08, 2007, 04:59:34 am »
Hi there;

Man! You can find anything you want on the net. Thankfully, I found K2/PF-RG!

I found out about this site in PinkBikes. A member there posted a link to it. I own 5 bikes. '03 Kona Dawg, '06 Kona Jake the Snake, '96 KHS Aero Comp, an old mid '80's frankensteined Norco sportroadie;

However, my most recent acquisition is the reason for joining up in here. A '95 Proflex 855.

This is what it looked like when I got it;

It's a Frankenstein of sorts. Front fork is a Bomber, saddle's a Specialized, Sugino Impel 170mm cranks, {the size of this 855 looks to be a large or 20". Should be 175mm, no?} , platform pedals, V-Brakes and Shimano 7spd shifterbrake levers. I'm guessing the seat post and seat clamp aren't stock items either.

I've only had this for a couple of weeks and have already changed a few items;
a longer stem and straight handle bar from a Rocky mountain with department store barends, new grips, 8 spd Gripshift, Avid SD 2.0 brake levers, and a Selle Royal saddle. {Thank you UsedVictoria.com!}

After pumping up the pressure to the max of 65psi, the front tire blew big time. The Ritchy Z-Max' on there must have been pretty old. The casings were showing and somewhat torn. {Good thing I wasn't riding it at the time.} Since I'm making this ol' beast into a "just jump on it and ride" commuter/urban type beater bike,  I bought new fr and rr tires. It's now got a fat ass 2.5 MaxxPro Hookworm on the rear and a skinny ass 1.25 Specialized Fatboy on the front.

Total investment, including purchasing price of the bike? $265.00CAD!
Here's what it looks like now;

I've dubbed this project "RatRod" and intend to remove all the decals/stickers, paint the frame a flat or satin black and polish up all the metal that can be shined up!

As with anything purchased used, it's not perfect. Right off you can see the collapsed elastomers. I'm 5'8" and this larger size bike fits me just fine with the falsely shorter seat tube length that the collapsed elastomers provide. I'm thinking of getting a shorter 6 - 6.5 inch eye to eye length shock and jerry rigging it somehow to the rear strut assembly, but that's a project for another time.

It's also got some creaks and ticks that I've got to figure out. That's why I joined up too. You can be sure that I'll have some tech question during my time here.

Anyways, I've got ninety more pages to search through in here. If I don't find what I'm looking for, I'll ask.
Cheers.
  G.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:39:32 am by GinSonic »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: Newb Intro.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:35:56 am »
Welcome GinSonic.

You have come to the right place. Somehow the frame looks like a medium, which may explain the 170mm cranks.

Lots of us have upgraded from the elastomers, and lots have replaced the elastomers.

Risse Racing is still making a bolt on shock to replace the elastomer type you have.

Anyway, the frame style you have is the World Cup Design. Still fast as all getout when tuned up.

Have Fun,
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Newb Intro.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:37:32 am »
Hmmm...a medium, eh. The guy I bought it from told me it was a large.

Ah well. The guy wasn't the original owner, and come to think of it, his present ride was a beat up, well used looking old steel hardtail.

I figured 20 inches measured from the center bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube would be a large. Guess I'm wrong.

So far in my searches in here, I'm seeing reference to an "ODS" rear shock.  On quite a few of them I see suggestions of some springs from Scotland along with an oil change as an option instead of MCU replacements.

Definitely a newb question but, does my 1995 855 have these shocks?
The whole rear sus thing is new to me, especially this one on the ol' Proflex.
  G.

Colin

• Guru
  • in a village near Northampton, UK
Re: Newb Intro. 855 owner.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:59:26 pm »
Hi G!
An 855 is unlikely (IMHO) to have an ODS shock, I'm pretty sure these came in on the 856.
You can tell because an ODS shock is gold coloured and has an "ODS" sticker on it! (OK, maybe this has peeled off! <grin>)
An ODS is an Oil/Air shock that can be tuned with lighter weight oil and by replacing the MCU's with a Spring conversion kit; Callum's your man for these kits; (RDI Scotland).

Unfortunately I think you'll just have a "friction" shock on an 855, which won't take a spring conversion. This could be swapped out, lots of options which mostly include some elements of "bodging"....... sorry! "engineering" <grin>

Col.

2001 OzM
2000 OzX
1999 x500
1999 900 Frame
1998 4000se
1998 4000
1997 957 Frame
1997 857 Frames
1997 XP-X (856)
1995/6 x55/x56 Frame
1992 962 Frame
1991 Marin Pine Mountain with a Flex Stem

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:11:45 am »
Gents;

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info you provided.

My searches thus far has informed me that rear sus options for an 855 are not plentiful. I guess the strut design with the "non-eyelet" bottom mount makes it so.

I've seen reference to Risse, Noleen and Stratos mentioned often, as well as MCU suppliers and RDI springs. So with that in mind, are these compatible with the ol' 855? {I'm aware that the RDI's are for ODS's only. Thanks again.}

http://cgi.ebay.ca/GT-RTS-Noleen-NR-ATB-Rear-Shock-Made-in-USA_W0QQitemZ170108997548QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Risse-Genesis-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Rear-Racing-Air-Shock_W0QQitemZ220110320435QQihZ012QQcategoryZ42317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've also been thinking of utilizing non strut types with the eyelet mounts with an adaptor. These are two shocks that I'm also considering;

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DNM-NITROGEN-OIL-REAR-BICYCLE-SHOCK-FULLY-ADJUSTABLE_W0QQitemZ270118381766QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cane-Creek-AD10-Rear-Shock_W0QQitemZ270116942599QQihZ017QQcategoryZ42317QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The prices for the latter two are obviously more attractive, but they will need an adaptor. Also whether or not they'd even work for this bike rear sus.

The Risse looks to be missing the bottom mount.
The Noleen from the GT looks to fit, but is more than I'd like to pay.
Whaddaya' think gang!
  G.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:13:26 am by GinSonic »

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:39:58 am »
IMHO (and I'm no expert, so will bow to better knowledge of others here):

the GT noleen one - no
the Risse - not for rear but is it a Vector front fork one?
the DNM - looks a bit cheap n' cheerful
Cane Creek - might work with adapter (and bushes of course)

This is what I've done with my 857:

good luck!!
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Ade

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:04 am »
Welcome. I have to say I would be tempted to try replacement elastomers for cheapness and lightness and see how they go. Especially running slicks.

http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=12&MMN_position=17:7

Having said that I have a risse (replaced a noleen shock) on the rear and the ride is nice.

cheers
Ade
550 (1990)
Doing Ironman UK for charity www.justgiving.com/adrianstewartironman

jeffhop

• Guru
  • i intend to live forever......so far so good!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:02:29 pm »
i would suggest a shock no longer than 185mm if your planning on making an adaptor to fit a shock like ed (orange) has in the pics in the previous post. unless of course you have extremely long legs like he has and can get away with fitting a 205mm shock! when i was measuring up to fit a shock to my xpx i came to the conclusion that 185mm was the max i could fit and still retain the same geometry.
an oz is for life , not just for xmas!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:56:11 pm »
i also say see if you can get some elastomers,they are cheap and light.They perform well enough esp if arent really gonna do too much offroad?Are the elastomers soft or rock hard?If they are rock hard you may find that warming them slightly(warm water poured over them whilst on the bike ,warm water or a 10 sec burst in the microwave if take em off.They will go hard again tho....welcome,and dont be afraid to ask questions
I aslo beleive its a med,the clues are the relatively flat strut and the top and down tube come to gether on the headtube.
kiwi proflex rider

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 02:56:46 am »
Kiwi:
".... i also say see if you can get some elastomers,they are cheap and light.They perform well enough esp if arent really gonna do too much offroad...."
I think the biggest expense for this "cheap n' cheerful" {C&C} project Proflex will be a rear shock. Staying with my C&C frame of mind, I will attempt the warm water/microwave bandaid fix to the MCU's.

Yes they are rock hard, but trying this, {even though I know they'll have a short operating life}, at least I'll have an idea how the rear sus on the Proflex feels.

Jeffhop:
".... i would suggest a shock no longer than 185mm if your planning on making an adaptor to fit a shock like ed (orange) has in the pics in the previous post. unless of course you have extremely long legs like he has and can get away with fitting a 205mm shock! when i was measuring up to fit a shock to my xpx i came to the conclusion that 185mm was the max i could fit and still retain the same geometry....."
Well , you can categorize me with the "Non leggy" populous. Definitely average inseam length.
The seatpost is at its lowest right now. I can still raise it 10-20mm without issue, but since it's gonna be a casual riding vehicle, I'm gonna leave it at the height it is now.

I was thinking more of a length of 160mm'ish. Of course that would mean a shorter stroke of 1.5-2", but since the most off road this beast will go is light recreational trails I think this'll be okay.

Orange:
"....This is what I've done with my 857:

....good luck!...."

I've seen your pics from my searches. Good job mate!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 857 bottom mount is different than the 855, yes?
I believe the 855 has a cone shaped fitting that goes into the strut blades. Hmm...was it JuanPablo that made an adaptor for the 855?
I'm thinking of a rear shock conversion such as this for a future project on this beast. I just need to know if I won't be F'ing things up regarding the geometry and such with a 160mm length shock.

In the end, I may just go with replacement MCU's as they seem to be the consensus of thought from Ade and Kiwi. However as I mentioned, I'll try the water/heat mod first.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!
  G.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:59:58 am by GinSonic »

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 06:30:56 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 857 bottom mount is different than the 855, yes?
I believe the 855 has a cone shaped fitting that goes into the strut blades. Hmm...was it JuanPablo that made an adaptor for the 855?

yes this is a cone fitting too. The adapter I had made by a mate was machined with a cone that slotted in nicely - you can only see the 'square' bit above that the shock fits to. Mine is essentially like JuanPablo's but a bit bulkier.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 06:32:03 am by orange »
'95 855

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 11:25:05 am »
if you use a 160mm shock all you have to do is make sure the adapter plus the shock is somewhere near the length of the original shock.

GinSonic

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 03:51:04 am »
More queries regarding the rear sus;

Jeffhop;
".....if you use a 160mm shock all you have to do is make sure the adapter plus the shock is somewhere near the length of the original shock....."
    Since the MCU's are sacked on my 855, would the true length measurement be at its full extension? That is the length from the top of the strut to the eyebolt on the seat tube when I lift the rear and the swingarm is hanging down?

Colin;
"..... Unfortunately I think you'll just have a "friction" shock on an 855, which won't take a spring conversion. This could be swapped out, lots of options which mostly include some elements of "bodging"....... sorry! "engineering" <grin>........"
     Near as I can figure, when I lift the rear end of the bike up and down, I notice the travel of the ol' shock body to be non linear. That is to say, that it appears bind within and has a slight curve in its travel.
Is this what you mean by "BODGING?" Issues could ensue with the mounting of a conventional shock?

Orange;
"......yes this is a cone fitting too. The adapter I had made by a mate was machined with a cone that slotted in nicely - you can only see the 'square' bit above that the shock fits to. Mine is essentially like JuanPablo's but a bit bulkier....."
      Any issues of "bodging" with your setup? I checked out the thread of your install of this and it seemed rather inconclusive.

I'm unsure of the dynamics involved with the design of the "World Cup Design" frame. I'm curious as to the cause and affects a shock conversion would have on this design rear sus, either with a strut shock or conventional eyelet to eyelet shock.

Can anyone quell my thirst via directly or a link?
  G.

jeffhop

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 04:03:19 am »
yeah, the measurement would need to be taken with the old shock at its full extension.

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:33:30 am »
 Any issues of "bodging" with your setup? I checked out the thread of your install of this and it seemed rather inconclusive.  

:-)

Depends on your definition of 'bodge'! It fits nicely and looks OK, my only issue is whether lateral movement may a problem. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to properly test it yet as the brakes need servicing first! I'll let you know.
'95 855