Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 04:14:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27
27 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: upgrading fork on 855  (Read 3905 times)

mrkkbb

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
upgrading fork on 855
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:03:12 am »
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my fork on my small 855.  Currently it has a stock Vector 2.  I plan to upgrade to a conventional short (100-120 mm) travel fork (i.e. Rockshox, Fox, etc...) .  The question I have is, what do I need to do to make sure that the final set-up has the same (or as close as possible) geometry to the original.  Any tips?

Thanks, Cheers,
Rob

papadahl

• Novice
  • Swiftly...and with style.
Re: upgrading fork on 855
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:12 am »
Am also very interested in the forum's ideas and experience on this issue.  I have 855 16" with Vector2 MCU springs.  Has anyone tried the risse replacement or is it better to replace the whole fork.

Have looked at the Rockshox SID to keep the weight about the same but wonder about geometry.  I assume the stem needs to be replaced also, and probably the handlebar.  Any suggestions?

Thanks...Rand

mrkkbb

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:46 am »
Rand,

I see you have answered (unknowingly) part of my question that I asked you on the 855heads forum

http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co.uk/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=14

Did you solve your problem with the short rear shock staff and the new MCU springs?  Can you reply to 855heads so as to keep this post on topic.

Thanks
Rob

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:51:18 am »
Am also very interested in the forum's ideas and experience on this issue.  I have 855 16" with Vector2 MCU springs.  Has anyone tried the risse replacement or is it better to replace the whole fork.

Have looked at the Rockshox SID to keep the weight about the same but wonder about geometry.  I assume the stem needs to be replaced also, and probably the handlebar.  Any suggestions?

Thanks...Rand
Rand, I have replace the MCU stack on my carbon vector with a Risse genesis. I have also replaced the noleen smartshock from my carbon crosslink with a genesis.

The vector worked out well, but I have issues with only 2.5 inches of travel.The crosslink I still have stiction issues with. I think the sleeve bearing is way to tight. I am going to talk to Risse but have been unwilling to sacrifice riding time.

Over time, I may swap out these for sliders.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

papadahl

• Novice
  • Swiftly...and with style.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:55:26 am »
Sorry I didn't post a followup.

Frame size is 16" My shock is definitely shorter. To get it off the frame...There is a bolt thru frame on one end. I removed tire and swung the strut around so could get at both ends. (after removing the bolt) Had to cut one of the old -hard -MCUs to get clearance. On the Frame side, remove the sculpted seal washers and pivot axle then the cap and 3/4" rubber ball. This will allow you to use allen wrenches on both ends of shock shaft. WD40 definitely was required along with heat gun to get it to break loose.

Because my shock is shorter I need shorter MCUs than a standard 855r kit. The 70 shore MCU was still in pretty good shape. That plus the shorter of the ones Callum sent was a perfect fit. Rides pretty well also. I'm sure I'll have to eventually cut the longer new one and replace, If I don't decide to go to Risse.

Just a note, the little cone shaped piece is shown in the wrong position on the photos in the instructions.(Callum may have changed that by now) It should be just like it comes off...small end sticking into the first elastomer.

I have a original Vector 2 manual, part of which may be of help to you for the front end. Can send JPGs of applicable pages. Send me your email

Best of luck....Rand

(posted on 855heads also)