Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 10:12:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 25
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
30 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: My New Project - Single Speed  (Read 6043 times)

sammydog

• Master
    • Hunter Mountainbike Association
My New Project - Single Speed
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:07:15 am »
Well, this has been a long time coming, but finally it is happening.

The 855 is being turned into a Single Speed. Should sit nicely next to the 24 speed 955. The frame has been sitting around since it was dismantled in 2000, and I think it deserves to be ridden.

Getting there, only a few parts from ridable.

Mmmm Judy T2's. Smoooooooooooth, and look at those Mavic 236 rims.

The pedals match the bike.

The cause of my rear shock troubles, at least this one hasn't melted in the car or on the garage floor, or on the BBQ bench, or on the pavers........ like the others I have.

I have a short term solution to the rear shock, I can swap the risse between the two bikes (my 955, and this 855) till I get the new elastomers for the 855.

Might have my hands on another set of Girvins as well to replace the Judy's which will be nice. If not, I want to track down some Noleen Mega Airs for some reason.

All the parts I need for the SS conversion should be at my LBS by the weekend, so hopefully this weekend will be the maiden voyage.

Ignore the long stem, its not going on the final version.

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
Re: My New Project - Single Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:43 am »
SS riding is killer at first. make eye candy for us!

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:15:51 pm »
Its interesting, this project started a few weeks back with an old Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert frame, then I saw the 855 sitting there under the houdse, and gave the prairie breaker away to another loving home.

I'm really hoping I get my hands on the Girvins that I have been eyeing off, but the Judy's will do the job for now.

The DMR Tension Seeker 2 and SS kit are on track for the weekend, so its looking good for its maiden voayge.

I'm a bit worried about how I am going to go with hills and SS, but it should all just make me stronger on the fully geared ride.

Comleted pics coming soon, although I think this bike will cop constant upgrades.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 10:26:03 pm »
is it an optical illusion or are they really short cranks?
kiwi proflex rider

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:43:02 pm »
They are my old DH cranks. 170mm length, so they aren't super short.

Single speed conversion kit went on tonight, stripped the pivot cleaned and re lubed the lot. Need to pick up a few new O-rings in the morning, but otherwise all is good.

Trying to work out the best way to tension the chain, I ordered a DMR Tension Seeker 2, but my LBS isn't convinced it will do the job and wont sell it to me.

To start with I'll just use and old mech, but long term I want to clean the bike up a bit.

Just need to convince a mate to sell me his girvins that are hanging on a wall, and the bike is complete. Till then the Judy T2's will be fine.

Maiden voyage is set down for sunday morning, can't wait.

Best thing though, is I haven't had to take a single part from the 955. Finally the two bikes are complete and together again.

------edit-----

More shots from tonight, all that is needed now is brakes and grips.

New SS setup. DMR kit on old Shimano LX hubs and Mavic 236 rims.

Swingarm off for cleaning. Just need a few new o-rings to finish the job

Almost complete (the chain has gone on since this pic, using an old LX mech as a tensioner. 32:16 gear ratio.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:18:08 am by sammydog »

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:36:42 am »
That is just a great idea! It is looking great. Let us know how it goes. I am very, very curious as to your findings.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

sammydog

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:22:59 pm »
And some finished pics.......well finished until I decide to upgrade.

A lot shorter stem, and some girivns are on my shopping list at the moment, other than that the bike seems to ride pretty well.

Full test offroad in the morning.

willem

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 02:35:32 pm »
S.D.

You've got me juiced up to do the same.
I've already had the front der. off my "buster" 856 for a year. Now the rear der. is history. Can't wait to get 'er done and rolling.

Strange.. my LBS gave me heat too. "That'll never work, etc..." (Inspiring words! I'll be damned if it never works!)

Nice collection of drinking glasses matey...

Will

willem

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 01:01:13 pm »
Sammy,

Just finished up the single speed last week, but can't figure how to get my photos into the new gallery system. How did you do it?

Will

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 05:27:15 am »
looks like he uploaded to photobucket and then placed the url for the image between [img and [/img] with an extra ] after img (can't put it in its place else it looks for photo!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 05:28:15 am by orange »
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

Carbon_Angus

• Guru
  • I am full of Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 11:47:21 am »
you might be able to take the cage off the rear mech and just run with the top jockey wheel.

i have found that the best is the rear mech, but have used a tensioner with moderate success, but i would somewhow chew up the jockey wheel then my chain would skip. Also had some problems with the front chain coming off, too and that would be a pain as it would catch under the modified tripple crank bolts and hang up pretty good.

With a rear suspension you need some kinda tension device, though.

don't have my SS any more but had some fun with it....good work out!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 11:49:40 am by carbon_angus »

ianc

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 03:31:15 am »
Looking good - you could remove a couple of chain links to make the chain shorter, and ensure that the chainline is straight from the chainring to cog by playing with the spacers on the cassette hub (not a criticism, I can't see if it's straight or not, but that is one of the factors that leads to chains shipping!). I've been running my 955 on and off like this for quite a few years now, but recently chainged to a nicer crank and new ring (Middleburn UNO) and a new chain, and for some bizarre reason the chain started skipping really badly where it had been fine with the old setup. In response I tried the setup with no chain tensioner at all, and with 32:18 it works! The chain is tight to get on but will loosen with a few rides (you have to pedal it on, wrap it most of the way around the chainring with it completely on the cog then turn the cranks and it pops on.. Then while the chain is new, and tight, it limits the suspension travel somewhat (due to chaingrowth as the swingarm moves) but this gets better as the chain wears a bit and stretches. I've done a few short rides and a 60 kilometre enduro through mountainous terrain with some good descents and not managed to either snap the chain or do any other damage. One problem long term may be the added tension in the chain from new putting side loads on hub and bottom bracket bearings, but I store the bike with wheels off so no tension. No pics yet I'm afraid, but it makes for a clean looking bike, lower weight, minimal maintenance etc. Now I just need to sort getting a disc mount welded to the swingarm and I have my full suss, full disc, singlespeed proflex!

Ian

The_Peasant

• Novice
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 06:34:01 pm »
Sammydog

I am using a surly singleator in push up mode as the chain tensioner and that seems to be working pretty well. It was pretty useless in push down mode as there wasn't enough chain wrap. It was my intention to whack on a DMR fixed tensioner pushing up but since the surly works I haven't gone down that path. My gut feeling is that with a lot of chain wrap you should be pretty right - but if anyone knows better I'm happy to be corrected.

BTW I've had to go back to the original shock on mine as there was too much flex originating in the adaptor. I need to find some elastomers or a softer spring as the rear end doesn't have much give in it any more!

Dave
What I object to is that you automatically treat me as inferior!

willem

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:43 am »
I'm running the Singleator in push up mode. I found the 856 needs 2" of chain growth...

So, with an 18 tooth rear cog I've got the lower chain is right up against the top chain! Then, when I sit on it, things stretch out nicely.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 07:55:17 am »
I'm riding a custom 856 at this years single speed world cup in Scotland.  I use a surly singulator - much cooler.

also, mine has pimpy magura disk brakes for the race - I'll hopefiully have the bike finished this weekend...

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast