Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 11:28:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 63
Total: 63
63 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: need rear shock upgrade advice, please  (Read 3093 times)

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
need rear shock upgrade advice, please
« on: November 28, 2006, 09:26:28 am »
I have been running a Stratos Expert coil over shock on the rear of my 4000 and my 5000 for 3.5 years. It needs new bushings, and probably new bearings. Total cost $40 if I do it myself.

Should I stick with my Expert? or move on to something else? how many rear shocks are available with the i2i of a Proflex?

I think a lot of you are on the Risse Genisis, right? I suppose it is lighter, not quite as dependable if the rider is over 200lbs.  But what I want to know is, how else does it differ from my Expert?  Does the Genesis have as much travel?  I like a plush ride.  

Should I consider Fox? do they fit? or do they all still require some frame modification?

or, should I stick with my Expert. I have always liked it. I am not itching to spend money. I am willing to if I need to, though. I have never had the Expert rebuilt, so are the seals about had it, anyway?
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
Re: need rear shock upgrade advice, please
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:40:59 pm »
I cant offer any specific advice but variuos people have tried different shocks on the "evo" type frame.Look back through the olsd post,foxes have been used,and also some newer technology
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
Re: need rear shock upgrade advice, please
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:24:32 am »
Your statros shock is one of the plushest out there. The genesis being an air shock is going to have stiction in the seals, I know because I have two of them now.

I would rebuild your stratos even if keeping as a backup. If you purchase a new genesis, I would have them damp it as light as possible, then if you want it heavier you can easily go with a thicker viscosity oil, stock is 5 wt. It is just a matter of unscrewing the cap, refilling to the brim, and let the extra overflow out as you replace the cap.

There is a host of new shocks coming out. Progressive 5th element is no longer being made and is out of bike shock manufactureing. DT is comming out with stupid lite air shocks, somewhere at 150 to 180 grams, and infinately adjustable. Hayes group has bought out Manitou, so who knows what they are going to do. Cane creek has that Ohlins shock,and the cloud nine, which an adapter will make longer. Rockshock is still in the picture too.

Still, I would rebuild your stratos and look for a ti spring. As you already know how well it works. seen some cheap as 50 bucks.

I am really partial to Swingers on the back(magic).

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS