Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 09:31:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
36 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Vector to Crosslink - 96' Beast - Possible?  (Read 3668 times)

knuckledragger

• Novice
  • Livin' life one day at a time!
Vector to Crosslink - 96' Beast - Possible?
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:40:47 am »
I have a 16" 96' Beast GDT with the polished aluminum Vector 2 front fork on it.  I just replaced the rear shock with a Sratos Helix Expert (thanks glader60) and now I am debating on upgrading the front.  I like the feel of the linkage fork and it seems that the Crosslink might be a good upgrade.  Is this possible?  Will the Crosslink fit my bike without modifications (would it be a SIMPLE drop-in replacement)?  Will my original Magura hydraulic brakes mount right up?  Will the ride height remain the same?  If this is indeed an option, what kind would you suggest?  It appears that several models were produced.  Would a Smartshock be good or bad?  What kind of price should I expect to pay for the different types (ie. Smartshock, Carbon, etc.)?  Just so everyone who replies knows, I am not a bike mechanic.  Try to explain it terms I may understand!  Thanks in advance for the help.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:46:52 am by knuckledragger »
Knuckledragger

You wouldn't worry what people thought about you if you realized how little they did!

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
Re: Vector to Crosslink - 96' Beast - Possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 08:18:47 am »
I have an XP-8 (which is a UK-only version of the 856) from 1996 which originally had the silver vectors. I dropped in some crosslinks no probs. I think the ride height is altered by an inch or so, but that's fine as I'm lanky anyway and the saddle has to go so high it's great the handlebars can come someway to meet it! You get different versions of the crosslinks though that cater for different headtube lengths - I think there's a Standard and a Long - forget what measurements they deal with though. I think most proflexes of that time use the standard fit.

I bought 2 pairs of crosslinks from the States on Ebay, for about $100 each, but by the time they were shipped over and I paid tax over here in the UK they came to about £85 ($145) each.
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

knuckledragger

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:12:38 am »
I have an XP-8 (which is a UK-only version of the 856) from 1996 which originally had the silver vectors. I dropped in some crosslinks no probs. I think the ride height is altered by an inch or so, but that's fine as I'm lanky anyway and the saddle has to go so high it's great the handlebars can come someway to meet it! You get different versions of the crosslinks though that cater for different headtube lengths - I think there's a Standard and a Long - forget what measurements they deal with though. I think most proflexes of that time use the standard fit.

I bought 2 pairs of crosslinks from the States on Ebay, for about $100 each, but by the time they were shipped over and I paid tax over here in the UK they came to about £85 ($145) each.

I assume that the XP-8/856 must be the same frame I have with my Beast?  Did you like the ride better with the Crosslink?  Did you get better/more travel?  Was the "feel" similar?  Keep the info coming!  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:13:03 am by knuckledragger »
Knuckledragger

You wouldn't worry what people thought about you if you realized how little they did!

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 11:22:56 am »
its an easy swap.The only thing you need is a new stem,because the vector has a 1 inch steerer while the crosslink wil be 1 and 1/8.For the same reason you will need a new bottom race.The rest of the stuff you can reuse because the headset in your bike is actually a 1 and 1/8..Keep an eye on ebay (and or the for sale thread) crosslinks come up regularly.My preference would be for a non smart carbon....I did this exact same mod on my 756,i used a girvin crosslink that Harv sold me of his 957.  
kiwi proflex rider

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 03:28:11 pm »
I rode my smartlink (not) tonight. All the oil is puking out, so it is actually working preety smooth. When it is empty, I may saw of the battery and drill in a grease fitting.

Look for a conventional damped carbon crosslink if you can find one. But the smartshock version works and can be upgraded with many kinds of aftermarket shocks if you hate it, as well as noleen shock service selling off old stock.

If you do end up with one, pulling the smartshock is a pain as you have to dismount one or the other link. But the trick is to drop the wheel, unscrew the preload disk, unclip the springcap and jockey out the spring. Compress the shock and now it can be wiggled out( the battery case gets in the way of everything).

If you need to keep your vector, Risse racing makes a nice genesis shock for it.

Terry

OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 08:15:33 pm »
One of my 2 pairs of  Crosslinks were the Girvin branded ones (not Noleen) and came with an inch steerer, so reused same stem, widgets etc. Straight swap.

Better plusher longer travel. Better all round I feel. However they aren't shiny silver (always a minus!!).

The other pair were Noleen branded and came with inch eighth steerer.

I think one also has the standard fit and the other long, though both fit on my proflexes. I think you can tell by the different shape of the Upper Link Mount (ULM).
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104

knuckledragger

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 03:37:41 am »
I rode my smartlink (not) tonight. All the oil is puking out, so it is actually working preety smooth. When it is empty, I may saw of the battery and drill in a grease fitting.

Look for a conventional damped carbon crosslink if you can find one. But the smartshock version works and can be upgraded with many kinds of aftermarket shocks if you hate it, as well as noleen shock service selling off old stock.

If you do end up with one, pulling the smartshock is a pain as you have to dismount one or the other link. But the trick is to drop the wheel, unscrew the preload disk, unclip the springcap and jockey out the spring. Compress the shock and now it can be wiggled out( the battery case gets in the way of everything).

If you need to keep your vector, Risse racing makes a nice genesis shock for it.

Terry

So, the Smartshock can be switched with other shocks?  Did they change the fork to fit the Smartshock or did they design the Smartshock to fit the existing Crosslink fork?  I am looking at purchasing the one that glader60 has for sale.  He says that it came off a year 2000 model 4000 K2 EVO and that the head tube was 125mm.  It is the dark gray one with "ELT Crosslink" on it and the word "Noleen" as well.  Does this sound like one that should work on my bike assuming that it did not come off a "Way-Big" size frame?
Knuckledragger

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 06:49:45 am »
Yes, you can switch out the smartshock. The later smartlinks had a clearanced upper link. So any standard Noleen or Risse genisis shock will fit.

Even if the fork came off a Waybig, some spacers will take up the slack.

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 03:54:21 pm »
the x57 girvin crosslinks are very slightly different to the Noleen crosslinks.The noleen is longer between the links by ten mm to give the smartshock room,its why the CM is different.
I didnt know there were 1 inch versions of the crosslinks,did they come of the 956?
kiwi proflex rider