Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:21:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 18
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 51
Total: 51
51 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Odd Proflex Frame  (Read 2530 times)

laffingroup

• Novice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Odd Proflex Frame
« on: May 06, 2003, 10:45:09 am »
I picked up a red (mostly) proflex frame at a garage sale for cheap.  It has a yellow elastomer for a rear shock, and a Girvin stem, also with an elastomer along with a rigid fork.  I can't see a model number anywhere; the paint is thrashed.  The chainstays are curved, silver, and mounteed to the main triangle with bushings.  

I have two questions.  First, are elastomers still available for this thing?  The one that's on there now is as hard as a rock.  Second, with the rear triangle pushed down with the bike in the stand, there's about an inch of space at the top of the rear shock mount; is this normal?  The mounting bolt is snug, but the bike itself is so beat it could very well be siezed.  

Any information would be great.  I'm looking at this as a potential SS project.  

Tom_A.

Re: Odd Proflex Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 11:25:42 am »
Can you post a pic?

It sounds like it's an 852 or 853 ('92 and '93 models respectively).  My 853 originally came with a single elastomer, but there was an upgrade kit that changed it to a slightly longer 2 elastomer stack.  The gap you see is most likely due to the "shrinkage" of the dried up old elastomer.

You can still get them from K2...there's only one durometer available though.  Look in the "files" section at the K2 spring chart...it'll have the part number.  The upgrade kit came with a longer screw and also a longer inner shaft....that's probably not available.  I know you can get the elastomers and the plastic washer for the 2 bumper setup...I think I'd just get that and trim one of the elastomers down.  You'll need to have you LBS order the parts through K2....but call K2 first to see if they're in stock and to make sure you've got the right part numbers...makes things a lot easier.

Thunderchild

• Master
Re: Odd Proflex Frame
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 04:37:21 pm »
Check out my gallery.  Under Thunderchild.  I have a picture of my old 953.  You can see most of the rear triangle.  Check with Aardvark Cycles (in the link section of our site) for elastomers.  They are local to me and also an internet shop.  Good luck.  
Had: 953, 756
Have:
855 cracked frame
Oz
Evo frame