Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 03:19:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 53
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 13
Total: 13
13 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: broken lower shock bolt  (Read 2565 times)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
broken lower shock bolt
« on: April 28, 2003, 01:45:38 am »
I just snapped my shock bolt and was wondering if this is a common problem. If so why didn't they supply a stronger bolt? It was replaced with a 8 grade bolt and nut from a bolt supplier free of cost, I don't think they were used to supplying only one and couldn't be bothered with a few cent. I was assured by a lbs that I won't be able to break this one! [smiley=nod.gif]

k2biker

• Novice
  • Ride Eat Sleep Repeat
Re: broken lower shock bolt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 05:43:24 am »
if you break a grade 8 bolt, that's saying something!  what type of biek do you have and how long have you ridden it?  I have a '98 Beast (purple/yellow) and broke the upper bolt last year.  nothing to be concerned with, with all the abuse we give these bikes, stuff breaks!!

HAPPY TRAILS!
~C
Pedal faster, I hear banjo music!

WaltWorks 29er -schweet!

www.terrapinbeer.com
www.ridedirt.com
www.waltworks.com

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 10:39:20 am »
I have an evo 4 2000 but only ridden for 8 months. I wasn't too upset or concerned except that it happened late the day before Easter Sunday, so nowhere was open to replace the bolt, I had to borrow my friends Dare which sucked because I was scared stiff of damaging it. I also managed to break off my rear brake lever during the same ride which made for some interesting downhills.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 03:42:05 pm »
  Maybe the bolt was simply of an inferior grade of metal but my new 01' Disco monkey had a loose swingarm. It was loose @ the main pivot which put most of the torsional side load on the lower shock bolt/ bushing. I replaced the shock bushing & tightened the pivot- now all is well.

GET

• Journeyman
  • Where are the land bridges?
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 10:04:02 pm »
I had my upper shock bolt shear on my 5500C.  I also replaced it with a Grade 8.
Physics rules!   (5500C & Animal)

numbnuts

• Master
  • no problem
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 01:51:52 am »
Although I haven't had a problem with breakage my upper shock bolt was 6mm and the shock bushings were 8mm so I had to do some shimming.So I have just bought a new bushing from BETD in the UK which goes completely through the shock eye. They market it as a "strong bushing" and it makes sense that this will reduce stress on the bolt. I haven't installed it yet. BETD will make any size and also make hangers for K2/Proflex and seem to have excellent customer service. I wish I'd got a grade 8 bolt for the upper bushings while I was in the bolt shop also, it really can spoil your ride when they break.