Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 09:18:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 62
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 40
Total: 40
40 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: proflex beast 97 model i think  (Read 6329 times)

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
proflex beast 97 model i think
« on: September 28, 2005, 11:04:49 pm »
hi i have a proflex beast which i think is the 1997 model - black and red with yellow stickers. The size is way big (the largest frame)

After some advice -

ive not ridden it in aboput 5 years, its been at the back of my parents garage so hasnt budged an inch or even been looked at. Im moving back up to the Lake District UK and want to get back into mountain biking.

Im guessing now its very dated and proflex and k2 are no longer trading.

If it needs any parts like new elastomers for the triple clamp forks where can i source them from?

Also if i wanted to replace the rear shock has anyone any idea what the distance is between the eyelets (im about 100 miles from the bike at the moment so cant go and measure it myself)

Regarding the group set etc can you get the new shimano stuff to work along side the older stuff?

Any general advice really.

You can email me at

mwardle@gotadsl.co.uk

Cheers
pro-flex beast 1997 soon to be used again after not moving an inch for 5 years

kneedowndean

• Novice
  • 1996 Proflex Beast
Re: proflex beast 97 model i think
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:38:53 pm »
Hi Martin,  
I'm based in the uk and run a 1996 Proflex Beast, and honestly regard it as a superb cross country machine. SO I upgraded the shocks, to Noleen Oil/Spring which really transformed it, but looking at a 1997 catalogue I think your beast already had those. As regards to the components, I am running an 8 speed set up, but using newer 9 speed mechs front and rear, its all compatable apart from the new rapid rise stuff. I recently overhauled the frame, there is a company in the UK called CVI that sells the bush and bearing kits for the supension. So essentially, you should have no problems getting the bike back on the road. Although you reckoned it hasn't been used for ages, maybe I would first try new cables, and grease the supension. Oh and I changed my brakes from magura hydraulic brackes to XTR V brakes, which I think work 10 times better. If you need aymore help just mail me. Steve

bikendan

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 07:22:52 pm »
 ???sounds like you might have a '98 beast. they were black and red. does the shock go thru the seat tube? if so, the only made-to-fit option is from risse.
some have tried fitting a long adapter to a fox.
do you have any pics?
as far as the shimano stuff. it should be 8spd. which is hard to find now. but it depends on what new stuff you want to work with what old stuff.

kiwi

• Guru
  • 756,wtb sstk,risse terminator, 97-carbon xlink,v's
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 10:26:29 pm »
does the frame look like this?

its a 97
kiwi proflex rider

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 11:48:32 pm »
hi

thanks for the replies - its the 97 version like the photo, ive a feeling the version of the beast with the shock going through the frame was the first K2 version in a kind of yellow and black tiger paintwork if memory serves me right.

Steve have you a link for CVI as cant find them on any of my web searches (have heard of them in the past)

Simon

• Guru
  • Proflex and K2 biker
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 01:53:12 am »
CVI homepage
http://www.cvi.co.uk/cvi/main.html
your best bet is give them a call
01405 760030
they are probably the only place here in the UK that could supply a suitable shock for that style of frame thats is a straight forward bolt on unit,
Simon.
856 FAUX BAR,Fox float,formula B4, Hope Ti,Raceface,FSA ISIS Ti,WTB Ti,Mega-air,XTR,Easton ct2,Easton monkey lite SL,Easton EA50,Goodridge Hoses,Eggbeaters,Ti bolts,DT swiss,

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 02:36:00 am »
Martin,

I had a 97 beast. It was a great bike. I had blown the shock when gravel entered the seals. Upon sending it in for rebuild at my LBS, it was rebuilt with lighter oil and what a HUGE difference in performance. It was great, and I rode it hard with zero problems for 4 years.

The Chubby fork was also great. Stiff and light, with it's air dampening. I learned to regrease with great speed. The only thing was that the elastomers would get hard in cold weather. The elastomers are a stack of cylinders plugged together with plastic connecters, for about 12 iches in length. The chubby was made by RST (Hi-5)for Proflex. Possibly a call to RST may garner some results.

Good Luck,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 02:36:12 am »
Martin,

I had a 97 beast. It was a great bike. I had blown the shock when gravel entered the seals. Upon sending it in for rebuild at my LBS, it was rebuilt with lighter oil and what a HUGE difference in performance. It was great, and I rode it hard with zero problems for 4 years.

The Chubby fork was also great. Stiff and light, with it's air dampening. I learned to regrease with great speed. The only thing was that the elastomers would get hard in cold weather. The elastomers are a stack of cylinders plugged together with plastic connecters, for about 12 iches in length. The chubby was made by RST (Hi-5)for Proflex. Possibly a call to RST may garner some results.

Good Luck,

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 01:59:10 am »
thanks for the info.

Ive heard that RST are no longer selling after market forks/shocks and that you will only find them on low end bikes.

It maybe the case where there is no longer a uk importer, which also applies for K2, i will trawl the web and see what i can find.

rapiddescent

• Master
  • what a ride
    • Rapid Descent Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 05:45:51 am »
I also have a 97 beast that I still ride.  Parts are relatively easy to get still for this bike because it shares a lot of parts with the 957.  Dave at CVI will service the shock if you need it.  You won't need elastomers for it - the chubbie elatomer stack should still be opk.  if it isn't then you can replace the stack with springs.

callum
rds
rapid descent scotland

K2 hardtail
Orange 5
Santa Cruz Bullit
Cube AMS R29er singlespeed
Brompton folding bike!
Kona Blast

martin

• Novice
    • lake district cottages
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 07:39:24 am »
where could i get springs for the forks? as so far no joy finding anyone doing parts for rst forks in the UK

oj12103

• Novice
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 06:49:41 am »
Hi,

I have a Proflex Beast for sale. I think it's a '97'. Can you advise where would be the best place to advertise it as my knowledge of bikes generally is minimal?

Thank you

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:23:55 am »
Hi,

I have a Proflex Beast for sale. I think it's a '97'. Can you advise where would be the best place to advertise it as my knowledge of bikes generally is minimal?

Thank you
Hi there.

You may want to posti in the Post BUY/Sell/Wanted thread at the top of the Tech Forum sticky page. A photo and location would be highly recommended. Is it the red and black like the '97 shown? What size is it?

Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
McMahon FS

oj12103

• Novice
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 08:32:56 am »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply. It is red & black as shown. Not sure how the size is determined, so i have measured from the crank to the seatpost which is 20". Any idea of it's value?
P.S. How do i add a photo?
Thanks

Kevin

orange

• Administrator
  • Guru
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 01:58:47 am »
to add a photo host it on something like imageshack.us and then place the direct link between {img}directlinkhere{/img} except use [ and ] instead of curly brackets.
'95 855
'91 Diamond Back Topanga (project: 1st MTB)
'06 Surly Karate Monkey 29er
Custom built Edelbikes 29er #1104