Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:49:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 38
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 30
Total: 30
30 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: proper set up for my Stratos Helix Expert  (Read 3153 times)

chris

proper set up for my Stratos Helix Expert
« on: April 16, 2003, 01:51:29 am »
last time I reported on my new Helix Expert on my K25000, I reported that it had a very stiff 700lb spring for my 210 lb body on my large frame bike. I reported that I thought it was not plush, stiff, but noticed that my abilities or control had seemed to improve. Many here reported that if I wanted to plusher ride, I should get the 600 lb spring instead.

I called Stratos, and they sent me a 600lb spring. I still haven't put it on.

Last weekend I was doing some big dips that I take with my butt off the seat of course, on the biggest dip, I could feel the shock bottom out. This might be the only dip in my area that would cause this.

Because of this, should I avoid going to the 600 lb spring? and just stick with the 700lb? or is it possible to go with the 600 lb and get a little plusher ride ( I am going  south, and will be riding a lot of rocky trails in Mexico the next two weeks)? is there a way to go to the 600lb spring and dial in some setting or pump up the air so that it won't bottom on the big dips that aren't quite as big as the one that caused my 700lb spring to bottom out?

is it acceptable to bottom out on that one rare, big dip, every time I ride it (which would be about once a month)... there are plenty of other trails that don't have such a big fun dip.

thanks

TCP

• Novice
  • I know nothing!...noth ing!
helix expert on K2 info...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 02:44:00 am »
i have the helix expert on my 2000 evo.  I have a 600lb spring and my weight(depending on beers)hovers around the 200-205lb mark.  Definately put on the 600 lb spring and pump the air chamber to 210psi or so.  you will not bottom out due to the air pressure and the ride will be very plush.  You may feel that it is a bit too soft at first but the frame really eats up the terrain like this and, if you actually pay attention to it, you'll notice no increased bob, as well as about 25% sag in the shock.  I have everything set up for trail bike use, so if you're a jumper this may not apply to you.  just my 2 cents.  

chainsaw

• Apprentice
  • 5500, 5000, Rans Recumbent, Raleigh SuperCourse
    • My FJ60 Land Cruiser
Re: proper set up for my Stratos Helix Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2003, 02:17:06 am »
ok, I just bought a pump. but are you sure my seals can take that much? is 210lbs a lot? what is the amount of pressure in it when it comes from the factory? I don't want to blow out my seals
-'98 Proflex K2 5500 Marzocchi forks, Stratos Expert shock, Thomson seatpost,  XTR shifters, XT rapid rise, XTR front der., Hope XC hubs, Mavic UST 819, Wierwolf tubless tires, XT crank, Avid Mechs

TCP

• Novice
  • I know nothing!...noth ing!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2003, 06:44:40 am »
go ahead, pump it up.  mine has been 210lbs for a year now without problems.

keen

• Journeyman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 11:40:37 am »
 100-300 psi range. I complained that my k2 evo bottomed too often to my dirt jumping buddy. We dialed my Helix Pro w/ 215 psi, 600 prog. coil. I still bottomed it on occasion. He noted that the bike shock performed as it should but my riding was @ fault. He took a 5' jump on his hardtail and landed like a feather. He told me just because I had a rear shock doesn't mean the bike has to  or can do all the work.