Picture Bit

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 01:14:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 32006
  • Total Topics: 3964
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 235
  • (December 09, 2019, 06:27:14 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 27
Total: 27
27 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: major air/oil rear shock problems  (Read 4828 times)

junkster

• Journeyman
  • All the engineering expertise of Homer Simpson
major air/oil rear shock problems
« on: July 28, 2005, 09:44:58 pm »
Help [smiley=diaper.gif] [smiley=turtle.gif]
- my trusty Stratos XCpro air/oil rear shock is packing up. It locks up every other 5-10 compressions (varies) and there appears to be occasional stiction on rebound occassionally. Does it need a rebuild or is it on it's way out?

Is a great shock and would hate to ditch it, (plus can't afford another air/oil shock).

Any ideas

Dan [smiley=beer.gif]

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: major air/oil rear shock problems
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 11:55:06 pm »
I think that you need to burp the shock.  Go to the Stratos site and follow their procedure.  I had one do this some time ago. It solved my problem.  Its worth a try.

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 07:27:18 pm »
Hi Carbonman,
  cheers - took your advice. Got some Automatic transmission fluid and spent yesterday with my hands submerged in the nausiating goo burping the shock. [smiley=bleh.gif]  Did it 3 times to be sure as was serious amount of air/cavitation (it appears). First time I unscrewed the oil fill port there was a huge blowout of air which appeared a good indicator of how much air was trapped. Will reinstall this eve and hopefully it'll have sorted the lockup/stiction. If not it was worth a try seeing as the alternative was an inferior replacement anyways. [smiley=depressed.gif]

cheers, [smiley=beer.gif]

Dan

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 12:53:25 am »
Well it didn't work - now the shock is totally locked up - I don't mind sayin I am totally gutted!!!!! [smiley=depressed.gif]

Any more ideas would be greatly apreciated as really can't afford a replacement shock and it means my bike is out of commission. I followed the burping instructions to the letter.

Dan

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Call me. We'll go for a ride.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 02:14:05 am »
Don't know that I would "ditch" the shock just yet. A rebuild from Stratos was only $65 the last time I checked. Sounds like maybe you may have a bad seal and when you burped, rather than getting air out of your oil chamber, you may have gotten oil into your air chamber... Just a thought.
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

Carbonman1

• Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 03:43:17 am »
Hey Junkster,  the only other thing I can think of is to remove all of the  air  and oil out of the shock and pretend that it is the first fill after a rebuild.  I'm a glutton for punishment when things like this happen.  Matno's theory might be right.  See what Stratos says.  A blown air seal could admit oil into the air chamber and cause a problem.  All that trapped air in the oil side is a sure indicator.  $65 isnt too bad for a rebuild.  It is a great shock.

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 07:31:23 pm »
Hiya,
        cheers guys. If I did go to Stratos would they charge extra considering the additional mods I have added to it, (an adapter of sorts bolted through and eyelet and a little filing of the rebound dial (in no way interfering in the shock body [smiley=nod.gif]), by playing the 'void warranty' card, (even though I know it isn't within warranty and I am paying for a straight rebuild?) I have heard horendous things about their customer support.
Also, I am in the UK so there is the exchange rate and postage to take into account.
I am a little confused Carbonman as through the burping process you remove all the air out of the shock anyway.  

Thanks for your ideas guys

cheers,

Dan [smiley=beer.gif]

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 02:07:25 am »
I doubt they'd charge extra. In my experience, once you get through to them, the service is okay. However, I did give them a (debit) card number which was overdrawn (oops) and instead of saying something, they just waited until I called back 3 weeks later wondering where the heck my shock was. That was a little frustrating. Only took about 3 or 4 days after that though...

You might want to let them know that you DON'T want them to replace the rebound dial. Also, if you can remove the adaptor (you said it was bolt-on, right), that would eliminate the possibility of "issues."
K2 5000 Large w/Avid discs, Bontrager Race Disc Modified wheels, Manitou Minute, Swinger 3-way
K2 5000 Med ("wife's") w/Avid V's, Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou X-vert, Risse Astro-5

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 11:23:05 am »
Hi,
  cheers Matno. Will definitely look into it and will take off the adapter if I send it away.

Thankfully I have managed to knock together a shock from an old 500lbs coil spring, half a Girvin rear elastomer shock, butchered scrap metal and axel parts from an old alloy push scooter, and a 1" bearing cup. Check it out (gives me sufficient travel and surprisingly very little bob - no rebound dampening unfortunately, but kick back minimal) Look a right dogs dinner though  :

http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/junkster/P1010003.jpg
http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/junkster/P1010001.jpg
http://idriders.com/proflex/galleries/junkster/P1010002.jpg
The main downside is now there is no room for the front derailer, (I rarely shift from the middle ring much anyways so no big loss).

thanks for your help.

cheers [smiley=beer.gif]
Dan
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 11:23:56 am by junkster »

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 12:32:39 pm »
Ha ha! Putting the "junk" in "Junkster"!

Just out of curiosity, what interferes with the front derailleur? Can't see any reason it wouldn't work in those pics...

shovelon

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
  • Down there? DOWN THERE!???
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 06:00:12 pm »
Dan,

You are a constant source of inspiration for me. You are the man!

No more procrastinating, I need to get to work on a mod. Thanks.

From across the pond,
Terry
OzM,(Ozzie)
K24000,(Red)
957small,(Shorty)
957Large,(Monty)
956 LE,(Peirce)    <Sold>
Offroad "Proflex" (Serrota),
Serotta CST  titanium softail
McMahon FS

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 06:58:48 pm »
Hi guys,
           cheers - first time my ensemble of battered pieces of metal crudely nailed to my bike has ever been the source of inspiration!  [smiley=laughing.gif]
Wish I had a lathe and the right materials, though there is some satisfaction in junkin up stuff. [smiley=nod.gif]

The front derailier adjuster screws were being hit by the underside of the swing arm, pushing it into the large chainring. The s/arm is as far as it will swing down to accomodate the shock. Since I plan to use this while the air/oil shock is fixed or I save for a new shock, I don't mind not having the front mech - like I say hardly use it anyways.  [smiley=beer.gif]

cheers

Dan  [smiley=beer.gif]

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:31 pm »
Update - took the bike on the south downs - interesting result.
Slow uphill climbs are a right pain cause while there is a surpising lack of bobbing uphill (standing, you can really power up them), when sitting, every so often with a compression the damn rear mech changes up or down a few gears - nightmare gear slipping. Guess it must be the full travel of the swingarm, coupled with a slighly worn chain, and the fact I need a bottom bracket with a shorter axel, (need 68*110, think I have closer to 68*115, maybe larger.   Granted should have changed that ages ago.

The shock does absorb a huge amount of hits though. Really surprised about that.  [smiley=nod.gif]If I found one I think I'd be better off with a 600lbs/in coil spring. Better to think lLongterm and I am thinking I may invest in a long travel coil shock with rebound/compression assist instead of spending money getting my Stratos XCpro air/oil fixed.

Ahh well, hasn't cost me anything and at least I can get around on it.

D  [smiley=beer.gif]

Matno

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 01:21:15 am »
every so often with a compression the damn rear mech changes up or down a few gears - nightmare gear slipping. Guess it must be the full travel of the swingarm, coupled with a slighly worn chain, and the fact I need a bottom bracket with a shorter axel, (need 68*110, think I have closer to 68*115, maybe larger.

Actually, the "ghost" shifting is probably due to the fact that you're stretching the little piece of cable housing between the frame and the swingarm. When it's too short, it changes the length of your cable, leading to an unplanned shift. It's a common culprit on these frames...

junkster

• Journeyman
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 01:27:10 am »
ya know I think you have got something there - didn't think of that . Will check into it.

cheers [smiley=beer.gif]

Dan [smiley=groucho.gif]